All Things 2019 Gophers Basketball Recruiting Thread - Tweets, Links, Video, Analysis

He has a very long way to go. Off hand work, maturity, spacing, defense, slow shot. Big improvement in the past year but the Gophers are aiming higher.

He has a very long way to go. Off hand work, maturity, spacing, defense, slow shot. Big improvement in the past year but the Gophers are aiming higher.

I saw him play, and I can't imagine how you or others see a slow shot. What I saw was a relatively quick release with uncommon range.

I saw him play, and I can't imagine how you or others see a slow shot. What I saw was a relatively quick release with uncommon range.

Time will reveal what coaches evaluate him as a top 300 player.

Calhoun would bring the teams hair game to the next level. Really need him here for that reason. Don't care about his ability to play.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

STrib: Four-star Canadian PG has connection to Gophers, will announce decision Tuesday

The Gophers recently met with a talented point guard prospect from Canada, but it looks like four-star senior Joel Brown will make his college decision before he can schedule an official visit to the Twin Cities.

Brown, who plays at Brewster Academy in New Hampshire, will make an announcement on his future school Tuesday, he confirmed to the Star Tribune.

The news of Brown deciding next week among California, Clemson, Minnesota and Vanderbilt was first reported Friday by ZagsBlog’s Adam Zagoria.

Minnesota coach Richard Pitino visited Brewster Academy to meet Monday with Brown, who told the Star Tribune the Gophers would “be a good fit, because of the system they run.”

No scholarship offer from the U has been given to him yet, though. Brown’s looking for a school with great academics, fits his style of play, where he has a good relationship with the coaches and players. He also wants “the opportunity to come in and contribute right away,” he said.

Cal appears to check those boxes and is the frontrunner based on recruiting site predictions on where Brown will commit. The Golden Bears offered Brown earlier this month and are scheduled to get an official visit in October.

The 6-foot, 160-pound Brampton, Ontario native grew up, though, with Gophers sophomore guard Marcus Carr, who transferred this spring from Pittsburgh. Carr told Brown that Minneapolis was a beautiful city. He said the Gophers have amazing facilities and that Pitino “is a great guy on and off the court.”

“I’ve known (Carr) since the sixth grade,” Brown said. “I know him very well. Him and I spoke last night.”

http://www.startribune.com/four-sta...ers-will-announce-decision-tuesday/494620861/

Go Gophers!!

STrib: Four-star Canadian PG has connection to Gophers, will announce decision Tuesday

The Gophers recently met with a talented point guard prospect from Canada, but it looks like four-star senior Joel Brown will make his college decision before he can schedule an official visit to the Twin Cities.

Brown, who plays at Brewster Academy in New Hampshire, will make an announcement on his future school Tuesday, he confirmed to the Star Tribune.

The news of Brown deciding next week among California, Clemson, Minnesota and Vanderbilt was first reported Friday by ZagsBlog’s Adam Zagoria.

Minnesota coach Richard Pitino visited Brewster Academy to meet Monday with Brown, who told the Star Tribune the Gophers would “be a good fit, because of the system they run.”

No scholarship offer from the U has been given to him yet, though. Brown’s looking for a school with great academics, fits his style of play, where he has a good relationship with the coaches and players. He also wants “the opportunity to come in and contribute right away,” he said.

Cal appears to check those boxes and is the frontrunner based on recruiting site predictions on where Brown will commit. The Golden Bears offered Brown earlier this month and are scheduled to get an official visit in October.

The 6-foot, 160-pound Brampton, Ontario native grew up, though, with Gophers sophomore guard Marcus Carr, who transferred this spring from Pittsburgh. Carr told Brown that Minneapolis was a beautiful city. He said the Gophers have amazing facilities and that Pitino “is a great guy on and off the court.”

“I’ve known (Carr) since the sixth grade,” Brown said. “I know him very well. Him and I spoke last night.”

http://www.startribune.com/four-sta...ers-will-announce-decision-tuesday/494620861/

Go Gophers!!

No offer. No visit. Decision looming. Yep, feeling good about this one.

Go Gophers!!

How are we in his final four if we haven't offered? I'd be okay if we passed, he has solid handles, great court vision and passing ability with an ability to score near the basket...but he can't shoot.

Hurt's Impact

I home Matthew Hurt commits soon. The impact he would have on others considering the Gophers would be big!

Kansas sounds like the front runner, but he has always been a fan of the Gophers.

I would think his list of reasons for staying at MN would easily beat his list of reasons for going to Kansas, Kentucky or Duke

He can play with his brother
One and Done no matter where he plays
More of a focus on him at MN than other Blue Bloods
Mom and Dad can watch all games
Legend in MN vs. just another player at Blue Blood

His Heart is with the Gophers

Hope he goes with his gut instinct!

Please add only reasons he should stay to this thread.

I home Matthew Hurt commits soon. The impact he would have on others considering the Gophers would be big!

Kansas sounds like the front runner, but he has always been a fan of the Gophers.

I would think his list of reasons for staying at MN would easily beat his list of reasons for going to Kansas, Kentucky or Duke

+1000

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Because if he goes to Kansas the rumors of kickbacks to his family are going to follow him the rest of his life. Stay here and he's a hero, go there and he's suspected of taking cash on the side.

Last edited:

The kickback reason is funny. The Hurts seem to be financially fine, have no expenses for either son to attend college and if things go as planned, one will graduate and one will go to the NBA in the same year. I doubt $100k really appeals to them or will be talked about if he goes to Kansas, aside from people in this forum

The kickback reason is funny. The Hurts seem to be financially fine, have no expenses for either son to attend college and if things go as planned, one will graduate and one will go to the NBA in the same year. I doubt $100k really appeals to them or will be talked about if he goes to Kansas, aside from people in this forum

We have confirmation that Kansas is offering 100k folks!

Jared Jones commits to Northwestern.

We’re not in nnajis final five but neither are the badgers so that’s good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Here was his initial final four:

Go Gophers!!

Not well enough.

Wait.

That Tweet Bleed linked was from August 18th.... He visited last weekend?

Are those two different dudes?

Not well enough.

Wait.

That Tweet Bleed linked was from August 18th.... He visited last weekend?

Are those two different dudes?

Please, please tell me we are recruiting two guys named Yavuz!

A couple kids with Gopher offers committed elsewhere today. Right after getting Jared Jones yesterday, Northwestern got a commit from 4 star PF Robbie Beran today. We might have already been out of this recruitment by now, but I remember Ryan James tweeting in the summer that he might have been interested in visiting us at some point.

And 4 star forward Toumani Camara committed to Tom Crean's Georgia Bulldogs. I believe he was the one Pitino was referring to in his tweet about stopping by to visit his parents for his birthday while recruiting in south Florida a couple weeks ago.

2019 not looking to hot. Looks like a practice facility not that big of a deal

Top Bottom