All Things 2019 Gophers Basketball Recruiting Thread - Tweets, Links, Video, Analysis

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
The Gophers will soon begin offering guys in the 2019 class and a number of kids in that class have made visits to the U. This thread will capture tweets, articles, video, analysis and more of Gophers 2019 recruiting.

I've got a good feeling about this class! ;)

I'm sorry - but seeing a title about "2019 recruiting" just makes me feel REALLY old. When I was a kid in the 60's, we thought 2019 was going to be like Buck Rogers - flying cars, space travel, people living on the Moon, etc.

Instead, we've got idiots texting and driving, and Donald Trump running for President. some future!

OK - back to recruiting talk.......

Let me be the first to be annoyed with no commits so far.

I'm sorry - but seeing a title about "2019 recruiting" just makes me feel REALLY old. When I was a kid in the 60's, we thought 2019 was going to be like Buck Rogers - flying cars, space travel, people living on the Moon, etc. Instead, we've got idiots texting and driving, and Donald Trump running for President. some future! OK - back to recruiting talk.......
Flying cars isn't until 2020. Everyone knows that.

We missed most of the predictions of "Back to the Future". I'm so disappointed with our technology.

Are we trying to corner Saint Patrick's?

I love it. Dupree was a St Pat's guy before he transferred high schools. Jamir is obviously St. Pat's. Now this guy. Kimani doing work.

I think Marcus retweeted this yesterday. Don't see him actually listed as a 5 star anywhere, but he's top 30 on Rivals and 247, so he's right on the edge. Looks like we offered back in July, but this was my first time seeing his name. He plays AAU with New Heights, Kimani Young's old program. Dupree McBrayer and Isaiah Washington played for New Heights, and Sid Wilson and Moses Brown are a couple of our 2018 targets currently playing for them.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

He kind of looks like Amir with a strong 3 pt shot. Though he's a little shorter (6'5) and listed as a PG.

Go Gophers!!

Offer every top 100 guy. Then all you have to do is have a success rate of 3% :D

Q&A: Matthew Hurt Talks Sophomore Season, Recruiting, Oturu's Commitment to Minnesota
By Chris Monter

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/771452?referrer_id=331171

Matthew Hurt, a 6-foot-9, 205-pound sophomore forward from Rochester (MN) John Marshall, is considered Minnesota's top player in the Class of 2019.

Hurt comes from a basketball family. His older brother, Michael, is a current freshman at Minnesota and was ranked as the number two senior in the state last season.

Matthew Hurt is averaging 29.4 points, 10.0 rebounds, 3.0 assists, 2.8 blocks and 2.1 steals per game this season as the Rockets are 25-3 and will face Lakeville North in the Section 1AAAA championship game for the fifth straight time. They have won 22 straight games after starting the season 3-3. He is shooting 62.6% from the field, 79.7% from the free throw line and 47.3% from three-point range. Hurt scored in double figures every game with a season-high 47 points versus Rochester Century. He has had two other 40 plus point game and 13 more games of 30 or more points. Hurt has scored less than 20 points just twice this season.

Hurt broke his brother's all-time Rocket scoring record against Austin when he scored 40 points. His brother and family were in attendance.

Hurt averaged 18.7 points, 8.4 rebounds, 3.4 assists, 3.1 blocks and 1.7 steals per game as a freshman as the Rockets finished 24-5, losing to Lakeville North 60-58 in the Section 1AAAA championship game for the fourth straight year. He shot 57.5% from the field, 78.2% from the free throw line and 41.4% from three-point range. Hurt scored in double figures in all but two games with a season-high 33 points versus Shakopee.

Gopher Hole recently caught up with Hurt to learn about the latest on his sophomore season and recruitment.

Gopher Hole: How about your own play? You recently had 37 points, 13 rebounds, six blocks and three assists and had a couple of 40-point games down the stretch. How pleased are you with how well you have been playing?

Matthew Hurt: I am really pleased. Every day could be my last. This could be my last game. I just have to go balls to the wall and play with all my heart, with energy and hopefully, we get the win and we did.

Gopher Hole: You play Lakeville North next. You guys have played them the last four years and unfortunately, came up short. What is it going to take to beat them this year?

Matthew Hurt: It is going to be tough. They are a really talented team. Well-coached. Good players. We have got to do like we did tonight. Lock in on defense. Move and share the ball. I think that we can be really successful.

Gopher Hole: Obviously you know Nathan (Reuvers) from AAU (they were teammates on D1 Minnesota) and you will probably going to be matched up with him. What are you going to have to do to slow him down?

Matthew Hurt: Sticking with him. Making him take some tough shots. He is a great player. Personally, just try to get him off his game. Make him take tough shots and if they go in, they go in. He is just a great player, but just try to make it as tough as we can on him.

Gopher Hole: You broke the all-time scoring record the other week and your brother was at the game. How much did that make it even more special having him here for that game?

Matthew Hurt: It was really special to our family, especially. He is a great player of his own, just the record. It was just an honor to beat his record and see what he did in four years. I just honored right now.

Gopher Hole: Did you give him a little bit of a hard time because you still have two years left and are going to put that record way out of reach?

Matthew Hurt: We don't really talk about it. He is doing his thing at the "U" and I am still down here, just playing for my high school. We don't really talk about it.

Gopher Hole: Have you had a chance to go to many games at Williams Arena this year, because I know that you are busy with your own schedule?

Matthew Hurt: I went to most of the non-conference before our season started. I came to some of the Big Ten games.

Gopher Hole: What is the latest on your recruitment? Any new offers?

Matthew Hurt: No. I have not.

Gopher Hole: Any plans to visit any schools after the season is over?

Matthew Hurt: I don't think so because I leave the week after state to go to Arkansas with my D1 team, so I really don't have time, so I get my rest and get ready for AAU.

Gopher Hole: Obviously, the Gophers had a disappointing season last year, 8-23, but were much improved this season 23-8. Do you look at them a little differently now in terms of recruitment with them having so much success this year?

Matthew Hurt: Oh, yes. Most definitely, Big Tern Coach of the Year. He has done a great job with that team. Going from eight win to 24 right now or something like that. Just locking in every week. Prepping them for whoever they play and I think that they will be ready for the NCAA Tournament next week.

Gopher Hole: They got a commitment from a junior, who I don't know if you see that much, Daniel Oturu from Cretin-Derham Hall. Does that get you more excited about being a Minnesota going to Minnesota. I know that they have Amir (Coffey) and your brother who were Minnesota kids who went to Minnesota. Does that get you more excited following in the footsteps of other Minnesota kids?

Matthew Hurt: Yes. Most definitely. Daniel is a great player/ He picked what was the right place for him and that is a great choice for him. He is like Top 60 in the country. I think that it is good for players around the state to go to the Gophers and hope that they can help other recruits to commit to the Gophers, too.

Go Gophers!!

Go Gophers!!

Apparently we offered 6'4" PG Jalen Lecque over 2 months ago, but yesterday was my first time seeing his name, in a Matt Jessen-Howard tweet. 247 has him listed as a 5 star early.

Apparently we offered 6'4" PG Jalen Lecque over 2 months ago, but yesterday was my first time seeing his name, in a Matt Jessen-Howard tweet. 247 has him listed as a 5 star early.

High usage/volume scorer in high school? As a 5 star? What a reach to sound like an intellectual basketball mind. How many 5 star highschooler guards aren't high usage volume scorers?

High usage/volume scorer in high school? As a 5 star? What a reach to sound like an intellectual basketball mind. How many 5 star highschooler guards aren't high usage volume scorers?

Tre (and Tyus before)? and maybe that's as close as you get?

It says he is high usage and a volume scorer for his EYBL team, which probably says a little more than being a volume scorer for his high school team. It also looks like he's playing up a year. Everyone else on his EYBL team is class of 2018.

Marcus Q&A with Oturu:

PLAYING WITH MATTHEW HURT AT TOP 100: “Me and Matthew are really good friends. He’s one of my guys. It’s been like that for a little bit. (Last) weekend we got a lot closer from being on the same team. It came up talking about (both playing for Gophers). His brother (Michael) plays there. And I just talked to him about it would be tight if he came. It would be really cool to play with him in college, too. He’s a top 5 player in his (2019) class. He’s just a really great all-around player. He can play defense, shoot the ball and score at all three levels. It would be really cool to play with him.

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-...s-summer-and-recruiting-for-pitino/431686313/

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom