All Things 2019 Gophers Basketball Recruiting Thread - Tweets, Links, Video, Analysis

I posted this in a thread dedicated to Murphy but it's more appropriate here: how in the world are we going to replace Murph? seems like Pitino hasn't even been pursuing a big this recruiting cycle.. go to 247sports and there are like no prospects outside of Matthew Hurt and everyone on here is saying we won't get him.

Is there a backdoor agreement to get Jericho Sims? Even if Sims did transfer here, there is no guarantee he'd be eligible right away. Does Pitino have an eye on a grad transfer?

How the hell are we going to fill the glaring hole at PF?

You don't just replace a guy like Murphy with one guy. It's collective and we will most likely run a different system or make tweaks to what we do. That's normal. I'd expect Oturo and Gabe to become a larger factor, plus whoever comes in. Will be the main factor in our success or regression next year.

Even if we somehow get Hurt we still need to get another big, Hurt doesn't have the strength to matchup on D against a lot of the bigs in this conference, I am fairly confident this will get addressed in the transfer market. I am expecting a lot of "movement" with the roster after the season

I’d imagine we’re going grad transfer route and the staff has a few guys they’ve identified as takes if they get the chance

Anyone think there is a chance we take a harder look at Jameison Battle from De La Salle. I know he is signed with George Washington but they just fired their coach so maybe the Gophers will be interested?

I am sure it has been mentioned in this thread, but the Gophers need to plan for next year as if Eric Curry will not contribute and treat any contribution from him as a bonus. They didn't do this with Davonte Fitzgerald and it came back to bite them.

Currently I can count 4 returning players that the Gophers can count on to play some sort of role: Amir, Daniel, Gabe, and Marcus Carr. If Amir decides not to come back for his Senior year, that would obviously really, really hurt.

The next group of 2 is Jarvis Omersa and Payton Willis: Neither of these guys have shown they can be effective high major basketball players, but both had decent recruiting pedigrees.

Then you have the single recruit in Tre Williams: The reports on his Senior year have been encouraging, hopefully he really has turned a corner.

Then you have Eric Curry: Hope for the best for a talented kid, but prepare for the worst from a team building perspective.

Then you have the two expected transfers: Nothing suggests Isaiah Washington or Michael Hurt will contribute to a Richard Pitino team in the unlikely event they do stay around.

That leaves 3-5 open scholarships. A starting power forward is an absolute must. Other needs include another wing with size that can get/make his own shot, another option at point guard beyond Marcus Carr, and another center option behind Daniel Oturu. That's a lot of holes to fill in a full recruiting cycle...trying to do it in just a Spring recruiting cycle is even scarier. I do feel somewhat confident that a decent option at PF can be found just because we will have a clear starting spot available to potential recruits/transfers. That spot should draw interest of immediately eligible transfers and Juco kids. Filling the other spots, especially with 4 year talent, will be very difficult. Really, really need a run in the NCAA tournament to get some momentum for the program to help boost the chances of success on the trail.

I am sure it has been mentioned in this thread, but the Gophers need to plan for next year as if Eric Curry will not contribute and treat any contribution from him as a bonus. They didn't do this with Davonte Fitzgerald and it came back to bite them.

Currently I can count 4 returning players that the Gophers can count on to play some sort of role: Amir, Daniel, Gabe, and Marcus Carr. If Amir decides not to come back for his Senior year, that would obviously really, really hurt.

The next group of 2 is Jarvis Omersa and Payton Willis: Neither of these guys have shown they can be effective high major basketball players, but both had decent recruiting pedigrees.

Then you have the single recruit in Tre Williams: The reports on his Senior year have been encouraging, hopefully he really has turned a corner.

Then you have Eric Curry: Hope for the best for a talented kid, but prepare for the worst from a team building perspective.

Then you have the two expected transfers: Nothing suggests Isaiah Washington or Michael Hurt will contribute to a Richard Pitino team in the unlikely event they do stay around.

That leaves 3-5 open scholarships. A starting power forward is an absolute must. Other needs include another wing with size that can get/make his own shot, another option at point guard beyond Marcus Carr, and another center option behind Daniel Oturu. That's a lot of holes to fill in a full recruiting cycle...trying to do it in just a Spring recruiting cycle is even scarier. I do feel somewhat confident that a decent option at PF can be found just because we will have a clear starting spot available to potential recruits/transfers. That spot should draw interest of immediately eligible transfers and Juco kids. Filling the other spots, especially with 4 year talent, will be very difficult. Really, really need a run in the NCAA tournament to get some momentum for the program to help boost the chances of success on the trail.

Cant sum up the gopher's situation much better than this. Kudos. Hopefully Coyle has his finger on the pulse either way.

Cant sum up the gopher's situation much better than this. Kudos. Hopefully Coyle has his finger on the pulse either way.

I do wonder this, if Coffey goes pro, does Pitino set his sights on some higher profile traditional transfers and look towards 2020-2021?

Next years team would not be a tourney team, and maybe a decent influx of talent via transfer could work. Especially if he doesn’t feel confident in landing the local 2020 kids.

As for this year, if we have 4 scholarships available, I am guessing pitino goes for a couple 4 year players, a juco and a grad transfer

I, for one, am not concerned about Coffey turning pro. He simply does not shoot the ball well enough, despite what his father might think. He certainly will test the waters to see if there is interest.

Great post. Most disappointed in the lack of recruits. This is the BiG, Minnesota has a lot going it with the Athletes Center. I just don't see how they can't fill in the schollies. It's amazing the non power 5s get good teams together on a regular basis and the Gophers can't even land a few quality recruits for 19.

Great post. Most disappointed in the lack of recruits. This is the BiG, Minnesota has a lot going it with the Athletes Center. I just don't see how they can't fill in the schollies. It's amazing the non power 5s get good teams together on a regular basis and the Gophers can't even land a few quality recruits for 19.

Coyle will hang on to Pitino for another year, delaying the inevitable another year. Really should rip off the band-aid.

I agree for the most part, but I think you are underating Willis. I don’t think he will be a starter, but I do think he will be a dependable guard off the bench, which we have sorely missed this year.

My quick breakdown.

Signed:
Tre Williams-SG

Realistic:
Grant Sherfield-CG (visited 03/04)
Sam Freeman-C/PF
Isaiah Ihnen-SF
Myron Gardner-SF

Unlikely:
David Skogman-C/PF (Bucky lean)
Sean McNeil-SG (his recruiting is blowing up)

Wishful Thinking:
Matthew Hurt-F
Zeke Nnaji-PF

Who am I missing?

My quick breakdown.

Signed:
Tre Williams-SG

Realistic:
Sam Freeman-C/PF
Isaiah Ihnen-SF
Myron Gardner-SF

Unlikely:

Wishful Thinking:
Matthew Hurt-F
Zeke Nnaji-PF

Who am I missing?

One more European guy that was recently profiled on the pay site. Sorry I can’t recall his name right now. Also speculation that the MN kid currently at Texas is thinking about a transfer. Probably nothing to that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One more European guy that was recently profiled on the pay site. Sorry I can’t recall his name right now. Also speculation that the MN kid currently at Texas is thinking about a transfer. Probably nothing to that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Battle from DE may reopen his recruitment. He's a good shooter

Would be stunned if the Gophers offered Battle.

I thought so to because I don't thinking he's athletic enough to guard. Hes similar to an Ahmad Gilbert in my eyes, buts he'd be well coached and if he can change his body; could turn into a really good stretch 4? He still has some baby fat and could developand and we got open schollies. Truly wouldn't contribute till Jr and Sr year, but if he's ok with that, good person and teammate.

Last edited:

My quick breakdown.

Signed:
Tre Williams-SG

Realistic:
Sam Freeman-C/PF
Isaiah Ihnen-SF
Myron Gardner-SF

Unlikely:

Wishful Thinking:
Matthew Hurt-F
Zeke Nnaji-PF

Who am I missing?

Olivier Robinson-Nkamhoua PF
Federico Miaschi SG
Tujautae Williams SF
Jordan Wright SG
Johnathan McGriff PG

Gonzaga seems to always have good international players. How do they do it? Do they have a pipeline, or does their coach or assistants have some connection(s)?

Gonzaga seems to always have good international players. How do they do it? Do they have a pipeline, or does their coach or assistants have some connection(s)?

Must be some diverse connections, or a fat pipe. They have pulled guys from Eastern Europe, Japan, France, Australia, and so on. Not sure why more NCAA teams don't play this angle.

Guessing we should see the transfer portal start filling up Monday and Tuesday, since teams have two days to enter the players’ names once a player tells them they want to transfer

He should make an offer to 6'10" Brady Ernst. He should be a grad transfer who was originally an Iowa State commit. He went from IA ST to junior college to Florida Gulf Coast. He needs a backup big man and Ernst is from Iowa so he may have a fair shot at getting him.

Top Bottom