All Things 2019 Gophers Basketball Recruiting Thread - Tweets, Links, Video, Analysis

This is the correct response. These edited highlight videos are for fans only and most of the time are guys who are predators and trying to make a buck or two off these families. Most HS programs have either hudl or crossover and can make these on their own or will have some coaches who are willing too. Either way, seeing a kid play a real game live is helpful, but actually seeing a game vs the highlights from a game are better for coaches too. Lastly, college coaches like to see a kid fail as well on film. They like to see a simple response to simple adversity.

Also anyone who thinks a "shooter" is made in college by their coaches is crazy. The base happens early and there are very few guys who become high end shooters that were not that in HS or college before hand. Shooting is simply way more than mechanics as well and the idea of what proper mechanics are changing. Most trainers and coaches could care less about feet "square" and set anymore. Mechanically, they will focus on chest and up and what the finish of the shot is. As Built said earlier, with the value of shooting being higher than ever, it's harder and harder to get shooters. Skeptics of Gabe were right to do so, if you watched him in HS. He played second fiddle to Terry, didn't really dominate a ton of games, and had legitimate worries about his athleticism. Now that being said, he also was coached by Dave Thorson for 3 years and that has obviously shown in his preparation and skill set defensively and how well he works and moves within the offense. His shooting stroke however, was there and like that the first time I saw him play as a 9th grader.

Great post. I believe it is rare for a poor high-school shooter to be coached up to be a great shooter. Improvement is possible, yes, but not to anywhere near elite. Damian Johnson is an example of a Gopher that improved from terrible to decent while playing with us. I will take it a step further to say shooting ability goes beyond coaching. There are some guys who, regardless of the coaching from a young age, would never become a great shooter. It is extremely difficult and takes a special hand/eye/brain coordination (to be elite). It is like all sports where there are skills where only so many players with elite abilities exist. Take hitters in baseball as an example. Lots of 250 hitters. How many 300 hitters? I don’t think that is all about bad coaching. I’m a hobby juggler, and brag that I can teach most anyone to juggle. I’ve taught many for the fun of it. Not true. Some just can’t get it. I believe that is also true with shooting to some extent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wasn't there some chatter about Minnesota kids wanting to transfer home? I know that Sims had been mentioned as a possibility - would fill a big need at the 4 if he could get immediate eligibility. I wonder if that is why the recruiting news is also a little stagnant - there may be some handshake agreements.

It's still boggles my mind that we lost a recruit to Mizzou - they're trash this year, and I can't imagine that there's a ton of prestige playing SEC basketball at a school not named Kentucky. Seems like a major step down.

It's still boggles my mind that we lost a recruit to Mizzou - they're trash this year, and I can't imagine that there's a ton of prestige playing SEC basketball at a school not named Kentucky. Seems like a major step down.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Wasn't there some chatter about Minnesota kids wanting to transfer home? I know that Sims had been mentioned as a possibility - would fill a big need at the 4 if he could get immediate eligibility. I wonder if that is why the recruiting news is also a little stagnant - there may be some handshake agreements.

I forgot about Tray Jackson until this point...man I wish we still had him. But instead of playing next to a talented big man like Oturu he wants to lose at Mizzou so good for him.

Would be interesting if Sherfield decides to be a gopher. Wonder if that would entice him back with a former teammate in addition to former coach on the gopher's staff. That ship has probably sailed, though.

Would be interesting if Sherfield decides to be a gopher. Wonder if that would entice him back with a former teammate in addition to former coach on the gopher's staff. That ship has probably sailed, though.

Yeah I would guess its doubtful but he hasn't signed his LOI yet, so not out of the question

Any SEC school (sans Kentucky) is on a spectrum from roughly equivalent to Minnesota (Missouri, Ole Miss) to much better than Minnesota (Florida, Tennessee) in basketball. There is no SEC school that's a "major step down" from Minnesota in basketball.

Sims is looking to transfer, Mn could have him if they wanted him. I'm not sure of any other Mn kid, Wright would be a nice pickup if he decided to transfer.

Cuonzo Martin may not be above board. Third job in three years?

Sims is looking to transfer, Mn could have him if they wanted him. I'm not sure of any other Mn kid, Wright would be a nice pickup if he decided to transfer.

Are you speculating, or how do you know this? I'd love to get him especially if he's able to play right away. I assume they would need to change the transfer rules for that to happen though.

Are you speculating, or how do you know this? I'd love to get him especially if he's able to play right away. I assume they would need to change the transfer rules for that to happen though.

If Texas misses the NCAA Tournament....it's possible that Shaka is canned.

Sims would just need a relative with a head cold or something to get the hardship.

Does anyone have any idea of how Grant Sherfield enjoyed his visit?

I wish this thread was dedicated to actual recruting news and gossip as opposed to posters’ philosophy on 3-point shooting. Having said that, I get that the recruiting trail is a little stagnant right now so I understand..

Remember the days when a recruit would commit after an official visit? Wish that would be the case with Sherfield. He’d be a major get and put us back into the thick of it

I'd love to have Sims even if he has to sit out next season (although having him immediately eligible would be great). Still a big time believer in his potential

Here’s an article from December about Sims that im sure was shared here before but boy what a doozy https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwj0ydbb7PDgAhUDTawKHe9zAQoQzPwBegQIARAC&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.expressnews.com%2Fsports%2Fcollege_sports%2Flonghorns%2Farticle%2FAs-Jericho-Sims-struggles-Shake-Smart-faces-13488844.php&psig=AOvVaw0fa53Aj7NK1YqjTXi4HWZH&ust=1552076245908381 apparently Shaka instituted a rule that required Sims to do at least 50% of the talking whenever they have a conversation. I’ve never heard of that before and the fact that leaked doesn’t look good on Shaka or Sims.

I would wager he is dealing with off-Court issues and if so not sure he is worth the gamble of trying to get him eligible to play right away

Wright and Sims coming back and being immediately eligible would be nuts.

Wright, Gabe, Amir, Sims and Oturu. Local newspapers would wet themselves daily at the thought of a local starting 5. Plus we'd be really good.

I end up watching Texas play a lot. Not sure why. Lack of social life maybe. Sims is solid but unspectacular. Would fit nicely on our team though. Defends well and works hard. Doesn't require a ton of touches on offense.

Wright, Gabe, Amir, Sims and Oturu. Local newspapers would wet themselves daily at the thought of a local starting 5. Plus we'd be really good.

I end up watching Texas play a lot. Not sure why. Lack of social life maybe. Sims is solid but unspectacular. Would fit nicely on our team though. Defends well and works hard. Doesn't require a ton of touches on offense.

We whine about outside shooting now, that line up would be the worst outside shooting line up ever. I'm not as big on adding Wright as others though.

We whine about outside shooting now, that line up would be the worst outside shooting line up ever. I'm not as big on adding Wright as others though.

Wright sure has scored well at Colorado. Is that more from transition/driving to the hoop, or is he becoming a good shooter? What is it about him you don’t like?

Wright ain't leaving Colorado, he's their leading scorer this year and has started every game. Plays 30+ minutes a night, there's no reason for him to leave after 2 seasons. Haven't heard anything about him being unhappy there.

And be fully prepared for Coffey to enter his name into the NBA Draft lottery after the season. I highly doubt he'll declare, but he'll definitely test the waters and see what the scouts think.

Wright ain't leaving Colorado, he's their leading scorer this year and has started every game. Plays 30+ minutes a night, there's no reason for him to leave after 2 seasons. Haven't heard anything about him being unhappy there.

And be fully prepared for Coffey to enter his name into the NBA Draft lottery after the season. I highly doubt he'll declare, but he'll definitely test the waters and see what the scouts think.

I’d imagine what they think will be late 2nd round

Wright sure has scored well at Colorado. Is that more from transition/driving to the hoop, or is he becoming a good shooter? What is it about him you don’t like?

I don't dislike him. I'm just saying enough posters here have whined about not having outside shooting. Wright doesn't fix that was my only point. Wright is a 30% 3 pt shooter, so he's his points are coming on attacking the hoop, which is fine. He's a strong kid who's a good finisher. He's not an elite defender, but has to tools to be one. He also had numerous chances to come here and play whether IW came or not. His biggest issue was whether he'd get in and whether he wanted to actually come here. Gophers pushed juco/prep for a reason and it wasn't a ton to do with basketball. Now that being said he obviously is doing very well in Colorado and I'm happy for him, but lets be fair, they are terrible and he doesn't have much a leash.

Amir would be dumb to not test it. What's to lose?

Richard Coffey already said they would test the waters

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Amir would be dumb to not test it. What's to lose?

Agreed, any player with even a chance of making it at the next level should be testing the waters. It is a free evaluation of your game by professional scouts. I'd be a little concerned/shocked if Coffey didn't enter his name.

His dad said they would. They had planned for it last year before his shoulder injury. I think he'd significantly increase his draft stock as the centerpiece of the team next year if he stays, though.

Race Thompson is still buried on the bench in Indiana. Maybe he wants to come home, too.

Here’s an article from December about Sims that im sure was shared here before but boy what a doozy https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwj0ydbb7PDgAhUDTawKHe9zAQoQzPwBegQIARAC&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.expressnews.com%2Fsports%2Fcollege_sports%2Flonghorns%2Farticle%2FAs-Jericho-Sims-struggles-Shake-Smart-faces-13488844.php&psig=AOvVaw0fa53Aj7NK1YqjTXi4HWZH&ust=1552076245908381 apparently Shaka instituted a rule that required Sims to do at least 50% of the talking whenever they have a conversation. I’ve never heard of that before and the fact that leaked doesn’t look good on Shaka or Sims.

I would wager he is dealing with off-Court issues and if so not sure he is worth the gamble of trying to get him eligible to play right away

I have always been opposed to letting MN players fall back to the U if wasn't working where they went to play. It looks from this case that Sims has had enough of the Shaka act and needs a new place to rekindle his game. I would be open to accept him back, of course I am sure everyone was waiting for my blessing (lol...). The grass is not always greener!!!!!

If guys from here are not playing much elsewhere why would we want them? There are reasons they were not getting on the court elsewhere.

Top Bottom