All Things 2019 Gophers Basketball Recruiting Thread - Tweets, Links, Video, Analysis

Need this guy, 6'10'' gets 18 pts shoots 73% from the free throw line. we cant rely on 3 bigs next year, imagine the foul trouble....

Curry, Orturo, and Jarvis as the only back up?

Why did Pitino pass on Hedstrom? could have red shirted him like wisco is doing now.
Hedstrom wasn't worth an offer. There are a lot of better big options still out there right now for the Gophers.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Recruits at the game last night: Skogman plus Ben Carlson, Dain Dainja, Dawson Garcia, J'vonne Hadey, Chet Holmgren, Matthew Hurt, Jalen Suggs, Treyton Thompson and Kerwin Walton.

Hedstrom wasn't worth an offer. There are a lot of better big options still out there right now for the Gophers.

He's good enough for the Badgers but not here?

big guys need time to develop.

red shirt him, slim him down, or bulk him up maybe both, do whatever is needed.

6'10'' guys dont grow on trees and they are absolutely necessary to succeed in the big ten

6'10'' guys dont grow on trees and they are absolutely necessary to succeed in the big ten

Wisconsin definitely reached for this guy, he was not worth a scholarship, he is a major project and likely won't be seeing any significant playing time til his redshirt junoir year at best, he is just too raw. Wisconsin has reached on a lot of guys who haven't turned out great in recent years, people need to stop acting like everyone that goes through that program is successful, outside of Happ, everyone that contributes for them right now were 4star or borderline 4star guys, a lot of their guys on their current roster have underachieved.

Yes! We have very different styles of play. The U looks for long athletic players that run the court.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wisconsin definitely reached for this guy, he was not worth a scholarship, he is a major project and likely won't be seeing any significant playing time til his redshirt junoir year at best, he is just too raw. Wisconsin has reached on a lot of guys who haven't turned out great in recent years, people need to stop acting like everyone that goes through that program is successful, outside of Happ, everyone that contributes for them right now were 4star or borderline 4star guys, a lot of their guys on their current roster have underachieved.

Wisconsin never really maximized their run in recruiting.

Brevin Pritzl
Brevin Pritzl De Pere (De Pere, WI)
6-3 / 175
94 29 3

Signed
SG
Alex Illikainen
Alex Illikainen Brewster Academy (Wolfeboro, NH)
6-9 / 210
147 37 1

Signed
PF

Khalil Iverson
Khalil Iverson Rutherford B Hayes (Delaware, OH)
6-5 / 205
319 64 12

Signed
SF
Charlie Thomas
Charlie Thomas River Hill (Clarksville, MD)
6-7 / 240
380 95 15

Signed
PF
Andy Van Vliet
Andy Van Vliet Canarias Basketball Academy (Burnaby, BC)
6-10 / 188
NA
NA NA NA

Signed

I mean this class produced next nothing

Following class

Ford and Trice

They're ok, but nothing special

Yup....Alex Illikainen ring a bell? I think Jordan Muprhy ended up being a better option at the four. Doesn't fit the Minnesota narrative however.

I doubt we'll regret passing on hedstrom

I can't believe people are complaining about "missing" on Hedstrom. He's a stiff.

I can't believe people are complaining about "missing" on Hedstrom. He's a stiff.

It's not a missing complaint, it's a 5 foul serviceable big complaint.

Next year we'll be watching Jarvis Omersa back up Curry and Oturo.

who was a higher rated big man

Hedstrom had no other offers of meaning outside of Wisconsin

Recruiting isn't over. I fully expect a big in spring recruiting that none of us have heard of, likely a Juco or grad transfer. There is playing time to be had for a big coming into this program, which is what all Jucos and grad transfers are looking for.

who was a higher rated big man

Hedstrom had no other offers of meaning outside of Wisconsin

And didn't he walk on before getting a scholarship? Not exactly a vote of confidence from the coaching staff.

Ford, Trice and Iverson were no where close to 4 stars per 247, Happ was a bigger recruit than them.

Their minutes come from

Davidson 4*
Trice low 3*
Iverson low 3*
Reuvers 4*
Happ borderline 3* almost 4
Ford low 3*
Pritzel 4*

Wisconsin is doing with Hedstrom what they did with Riley Dearring. How did that work out again?

No one hits on every recruit, no one and no roster has every guy work out. Sometimes being a big tough practice player is your contribution. Your not recruited for that. I have been wrong with dozens of scouting recommendations and on this one i would have written a no go for either program but especially for what Pitino looks at for fit. Hope i am wrong too as i hope all these young men do well. Here are some that i was right about and wrong about in a official capacity. I wrote a no on Evan Anderson and was right, wrote yes on both Cam and Jordan Taylor and was right for UW, may not been a fit elsewhere. Wrote that Brusewitz was a perfect fit at UW and feel that i was wrong as i thought he would be much better. Passed on Rodney Williams and most would say i was wrong but thought he was a minus in efficiency. Was wrong on James Johnson at UVA as i thought he would really do well defensively but really never even saw the floor. Was wrong on Dusty ! Spot on Kyle Weaver. No one recruited him and he became all conference in the Pac when the pack was loaded. The Gophers have better options, especially for the fit they are looking for.

That better not be the case. Pitino knows he needs a solid player to back them up. I’m thinking grad transfer is most likely. Question is whether he can convince one to play here. Pretty stiff competition for the good ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No one hits on every recruit, no one and no roster has every guy work out. Sometimes being a big tough practice player is your contribution. Your not recruited for that. I have been wrong with dozens of scouting recommendations and on this one i would have written a no go for either program but especially for what Pitino looks at for fit. Hope i am wrong too as i hope all these young men do well. Here are some that i was right about and wrong about in a official capacity. I wrote a no on Evan Anderson and was right, wrote yes on both Cam and Jordan Taylor and was right for UW, may not been a fit elsewhere. Wrote that Brusewitz was a perfect fit at UW and feel that i was wrong as i thought he would be much better. Passed on Rodney Williams and most would say i was wrong but thought he was a minus in efficiency. Was wrong on James Johnson at UVA as i thought he would really do well defensively but really never even saw the floor. Was wrong on Dusty ! Spot on Kyle Weaver. No one recruited him and he became all conference in the Pac when the pack was loaded. The Gophers have better options, especially for the fit they are looking for.

If you're not comfortable with this, no problem, but would be interesting to get your take on our standing with each of the 2020 guys and how/if they would fit in with the gophers.

Tre Williams is now a 4 star and #127 overall on Rivals.
Be glad he didn't blow up over the summer. We'd have no chance. Good pickup. He's going to develop nicely under Pitino. Opportunity to earn quality minutes as a frosh.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Tre Williams is now a 4 star and #127 overall on Rivals.

Noticed he was a 247 4* too. They have him as #151 overall. Hopefully he can fill the combo guard void left by Dupree. Can’t act like I didn’t think he was a questionable take when we got him (stupidly). Great find by the staff.

If you're not comfortable with this, no problem, but would be interesting to get your take on our standing with each of the 2020 guys and how/if they would fit in with the gophers.

Send me the list and i will give you the feedback on how the fit the present staff. I will be able to offer very little in the way of where kids stand other than what so far has been said by assistant coaches or in the way family members have inquired about coaches or academics. Most of the recruiting info is held very close to the vest especially with all the extra visits now. Not always but the longer it goes the better players wait for the better programs to offer. Some smart coaches at the non blue bloods get around it by telling recruits that they are wanted but that they are not holding for anyone and they fill early. Of course that is easier to do when you have won a lot, won the conference and your laser focused on fit as opposed to ranking. I ran this little exercise for years to see where guys were ranked starting freshman year and where you would rank them after 4 years based on wins, conference titles etc.. and you would be shocked at how often guys below 75 pass 65 guys ahead of them if they pick a school, a coach who develops players over and over again.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Skogman went to my high school (currently in my second year at the U). He used to be a walking stick but seems to be beefed up since when I was last there. Don't know much about his abilities on the big stage, but he did take a high school team that was among the worst in our conference to being a competitor for the state title.

Top Bottom