All Things 2019 Gophers Basketball Recruiting Thread - Tweets, Links, Video, Analysis

That is correct, it wasn't davision vs harris, it was davison vs wright/washington. Pitino preferred Wright.

Who knows if we would've gotten davision had we tried harder. He still ended up in Sconi

Notwithstanding everything Cayman wrote, this approach is kind of what I was criticizing. Viewing Davison as someone who could only play point and thus couldn't play alongside Washington or Wright has been proven wrong. Davison shot 36% from 3 with a bad shoulder last year and he's actually bigger than Harris. That 3p% is better than what either Harris or Willis shot.

That being said, as Cayman notes, as of July 2016, they weren't really looking for an SG either.

ANwyay, all these counterfactuals are useless, so I'll stop.

The complaining over Davison or Reuvers is a waste of time. They were going to Madison all along as both had loved their elite camp visit as well as numerous campus visits. Wright and Washington, IW was the more sought after prospect and Pitino got him. He has recruited pretty well, far better than he has coached but adding Jeter was a very positive mood.

3 new 19 offers in Weems, Watts and Wright. First 2 are heavy Michigan State leans.

Like builtbadgers said, we've given out a few new offers lately.

#59 Harlond Beverly, PG, 6'4", Michigan

https://247sports.com/Player/Harlond-Beverly-46040841

#60 Mark "Rocket" Watts, SG, 6'2", Michigan

https://247sports.com/Player/Rocket-Watts-94190

#39 Romeo Weems, SF/PF, 6'7", Michigan

https://247sports.com/Player/Romeo-Weems-94252

#257 Jordan Wright, SG, 6'6", Louisiana

https://247sports.com/Player/Jordan-Wright-46048543

Tyler Wahl gets the Gopher offer! I am honestly very surprised. Good for him, Jeter must have convinced Pitino to make this offer imo.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Like builtbadgers said, we've given out a few new offers lately.

#59 Harlond Beverly, PG, 6'4", Michigan

https://247sports.com/Player/Harlond-Beverly-46040841

#60 Mark "Rocket" Watts, SG, 6'2", Michigan

https://247sports.com/Player/Rocket-Watts-94190

#39 Romeo Weems, SF/PF, 6'7", Michigan

https://247sports.com/Player/Romeo-Weems-94252

#257 Jordan Wright, SG, 6'6", Louisiana

https://247sports.com/Player/Jordan-Wright-46048543

Nice to see some offers to kids from Michigan, we have gotten some good players from there in the past.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Des Moines Register: Final thoughts from D.J. Carton's big weekend; which schools left an impression?

I was out at Hopkins High School just outside Minneapolis this weekend covering elite four-star point guard D.J. Carton at the 2018 NY2LA Spring Extravaganza. In this story, you'll find my thoughts/observations from Sunday's game, as well as final thoughts for Carton's weekend, overall.

You can see Friday's story here, and Saturday's here. Also, an ear-to-ear-smiling Carton told me Sunday that he'd been invited to the USA 18U National Team Trials in Colorado Springs, Colorado. A great honor for a great prospect.

OK, let's get to it:

Coaches finished their "performance" with a bang on Sunday. For colleges recruiting a player like Carton, these evaluation periods are much less about evaluating than they are just being there — showing support, showing the player he matters, that he's a priority.

And there were plenty of big names here.

Iowa State head coach Steve Prohm was on hand Sunday morning after assistant coach Daniyal Robinson was here Saturday.

Iowa assistant coach Kirk Speraw sat on the baseline right next to Prohm after Fran McCaffery was here Friday and Saturday.

Indiana's Archie Miller was here to watch Carton, too; associate head coach Tom Ostrom was here Friday and Saturday.

Michigan assistant coach Luke Yakich was here for his third straight day; John Beilein joined him Friday.

Ohio State assistant coach Mike Schrage was here for his third straight day; Chris Holtmann and the rest of the Buckeyes' four-man staff were here Friday.

Wisconsin assistant coach Joe Krabbenhoft was here for his third straight day; Greg Gard joined him Friday and Saturday.

Marquette associate head coach Brett Nelson was here; Steve Wojciechowski was on hand Friday and Saturday.

Minnesota's Richard Pitino was here; he and assistant coach Ed Conroy were on hand Friday.

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/s...-state-michigan-indiana-ohio-state/562823002/

Go Gophers!!

I haven't skimmed this thread but can someone tell me how many scholarships we will have available for 2019? Obviously we lose Murph and McBrayer (assuming no medical red's) but also Jarvis Johnson is a senior? What kind of scholarship does he have?

Dangerously assuming we get Stull as a grad transfer, that would also be another available scholarship after this year. So would that put us at 3 or 4 available for 2019?

We would’ve 4 scholarships available if we got Stull. Jarvis doesn’t count against us but we also have Matz Stockman

The complaining over Davison or Reuvers is a waste of time. They were going to Madison all along as both had loved their elite camp visit as well as numerous campus visits. Wright and Washington, IW was the more sought after prospect and Pitino got him. He has recruited pretty well, far better than he has coached but adding Jeter was a very positive mood.

Neither were "going to Madison all along." It's pretty well known that Reuvers was all about Notre Dame and Wiscy was his second choice; he committed to Wiscy when ND chose not to offer. MN didn't waste much time on Reuvers because they knew he wasn't that interested. Davison is a completely different story. He and his family were big U supporters, but during his jr year Pitino/Johnson made clear he wasn't in their plans and they focused elsewhere; word is they went more than a YEAR without making any contact whatsoever. Davison would have been a Gopher if this staff had recruited him as a priority; it was a mistake in evaluation (a mistake many schools made, as he had very few offers going into his last AAU season) and even bigger mistake in not simply continuing to recruit him on the off chance he improved.

The fact that they "loved their elite camp and visits" is said (and meant) by many kids about many visits; as you know, it doesn't necessarily mean they'll end up at that school, as other factors (including who else offers them and when) come into play.

Notwithstanding everything Cayman wrote, this approach is kind of what I was criticizing. Viewing Davison as someone who could only play point and thus couldn't play alongside Washington or Wright has been proven wrong. Davison shot 36% from 3 with a bad shoulder last year and he's actually bigger than Harris. That 3p% is better than what either Harris or Willis shot.

Exactly. We made a mistake on Davison. It's ok to admit it. And by the same token, we obviously made a mistake on Jamir Harris. I don't know if we were projecting him to grow or what, because the guy was a small, 5'11ish shooting guard all along and that's not going to cut it in the B1G.

Hopefully the commitments of Carr and Willis will go a long way toward putting us back on track. Our front line looks loaded for the next few years.

I haven't skimmed this thread but can someone tell me how many scholarships we will have available for 2019? Obviously we lose Murph and McBrayer (assuming no medical red's) but also Jarvis Johnson is a senior? What kind of scholarship does he have?

Dangerously assuming we get Stull as a grad transfer, that would also be another available scholarship after this year. So would that put us at 3 or 4 available for 2019?

Hurt is smart and may graduate a year early. If his brother comes here he would probably stay if not Mike may be a year transfer.

Neither were "going to Madison all along." It's pretty well known that Reuvers was all about Notre Dame and Wiscy was his second choice; he committed to Wiscy when ND chose not to offer. MN didn't waste much time on Reuvers because they knew he wasn't that interested. Davison is a completely different story. He and his family were big U supporters, but during his jr year Pitino/Johnson made clear he wasn't in their plans and they focused elsewhere; word is they went more than a YEAR without making any contact whatsoever. Davison would have been a Gopher if this staff had recruited him as a priority; it was a mistake in evaluation (a mistake many schools made, as he had very few offers going into his last AAU season) and even bigger mistake in not simply continuing to recruit him on the off chance he improved.

The fact that they "loved their elite camp and visits" is said (and meant) by many kids about many visits; as you know, it doesn't necessarily mean they'll end up at that school, as other factors (including who else offers them and when) come into play.
Stand corrected on Nate as i should have included Notre Dame but i was referring to UW and Minnesota. As for Davison, kids do say a lot of things but he was in Madison several times, loved the campus and the environment from the student body at Camp Randall as well as at the Kohl Center. The UW coaches were sure they had him no matter if the Gophers offered. Of course the family wanted the home school offer but that does not mean he would have taken it. Brad tells people that the U was the hometown school but that UW was his dream school.

per Sid:

• Three Minnesota kids are ranked in the top 150 of the 2019 basketball class, according to Rivals.com. Forward Matthew Hurt of Rochester John Marshall is No. 5, Hopkins forward Zeke Nnaji is No. 45 and DeLaSalle guard Tyrell Terry is No. 114. The Gophers also recently offered a scholarship to Lakeville North guard Tyler Wahl in that same class.

http://www.startribune.com/twins-free-agents-needed-extra-time-to-hit-their-stride/482236631/

Go Gophers!!

DJ Carton listed a top 6 that doesn't include us. Wisconsin, who seemed to be considered an early favorite by the crystal ball, was also eliminated, so I guess that's good news.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

DJ Carton listed a top 6 that doesn't include us. Wisconsin, who seemed to be considered an early favorite by the crystal ball, was also eliminated, so I guess that's good news.

Four other B1G team on the list. Bummer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

with IW on the roster and now Marcus Carr are we really even looking for a point guard in the 2019 cycle? and if we are with 1 being a Junior and 1 being a sophomore in 2019 I don't think we are a very appealing landing spot for any of the bigger names

with IW on the roster and now Marcus Carr are we really even looking for a point guard in the 2019 cycle? and if we are with 1 being a Junior and 1 being a sophomore in 2019 I don't think we are a very appealing landing spot for any of the bigger names

I've been wondering that- does the addition of Carr make Tyrell Terry less likely to stay home?

Go Gophers!!

This would fall under the category of someone posting something of which he really knows nothing about, my ranking of '19 recruits from most likely to least likely chance of being a gopher.
1. Wahl
2. Nnaji
3. Terry
4. Hurt
Would be happy if someone with more inside info. would educate me. Maybe it's too early in recruiting to have much of a idea, at least with 3 of the 4.

This would fall under the category of someone posting something of which he really knows nothing about, my ranking of '19 recruits from most likely to least likely chance of being a gopher.
1. Wahl
2. Nnaji
3. Terry
4. Hurt
Would be happy if someone with more inside info. would educate me. Maybe it's too early in recruiting to have much of a idea, at least with 3 of the 4.

Wahl: good chance with him
Nnaji: hes blowing up. Have to fight hard
Terry: almost a done deal to Stanford
Hurt: least likely by a long ways

1. Wahl
2. Nnaji
3. Terry
4. Hurt

Not that it is a done deal or anything, but from what I hear Wahl and Nnaji are Wisconsin leans as it stands right now. Honestly I am a bit surprised Wahl hasn't committed to them yet because I was hearing rumors that it was his dream school and that he was just waiting for an offer, so it's probably a good thing he hasn't committed yet and is examining all his options. I don't know what it is, but badgers have pretty good pipeline to Lakeville for some reason. In terms of Nnaji, I don't see him ending up in Wisconsin with more and more schools offering, but as it stands right now, the word is he slightly leans Wisconsin over Minnesota if it's between the 2 schools,I think hedstrom might be in his ear, but anything can happen between now and signing day so we will see.

Not that it is a done deal or anything, but from what I hear Wahl and Nnaji are Wisconsin leans as it stands right now. Honestly I am surprised Wahl hasn't committed to them yet because I was hearing that was his dream school and that he was just waiting for an offer, so it's probably a good thing he hasn't committed yet and is examining all his options. I don't know what it is, but badgers have pretty good pipeline to Lakeville for some reason. In terms of Nnaji, I don't see him ending up in Wisconsin with more and more schools offering, but as it stands right now, the word is he slightly leans Wisconsin over Minnesota if it's between the 2 schools, but anything can happen between now and signing day so we will see.

Don’t know where you’re getting your info - wisconsin sources? I’ve heard that Iowa has a better shot at Zeke than Wisconsin but he probably won’t even go to school in the Midwest.

If I had to guess, we land Wahl and some top 100 out of state guys in the 19 class. I think people are severely underrating our chances with Hurt - however, I don’t think he ends up signing with us.

My perceived order of likelihood:
- Wahl
- Hurt
- Nnaji
- Terry (don’t think he will pass up Stanford)

Not that it is a done deal or anything, but from what I hear Wahl and Nnaji are Wisconsin leans as it stands right now. Honestly I am a bit surprised Wahl hasn't committed to them yet because I was hearing rumors that it was his dream school and that he was just waiting for an offer, so it's probably a good thing he hasn't committed yet and is examining all his options. I don't know what it is, but badgers have pretty good pipeline to Lakeville for some reason. In terms of Nnaji, I don't see him ending up in Wisconsin with more and more schools offering, but as it stands right now, the word is he slightly leans Wisconsin over Minnesota if it's between the 2 schools,I think hedstrom might be in his ear, but anything can happen between now and signing day so we will see.

That would be disappointing to lose Nnaji to Wisconsin or anywhere else really. When was the last time we ever lost out on a Hopkins player that we actually wanted?

I'd like to think that playing with Gabe, Oturu and Jarvis all of last summer wouldn't hurt. He seems similar to Oturu with some 3 point range but not quite the rebounder or rim protector. Similar size, athleticism and low post game IMO.

Any chance we could get one of these MN kids...especially Zeke cause he played with Amir, Gabe, Dan, and Jarvis? I don’t think Tyrell will stay because we have so many point guards and he’s super smart so standford will be tough to beat. Sadly looking like Sconnie could get both Wahl and Nnaji and one of the blue bloods looks to be favorite for Hurt. But hey who knows maybe they like playing together so much like the 18 kids and want to stay home

To sum up the last few posts, is it fair to say gophers aren’t in a great position with any of these guys?

With 2018 now closed, can anyone speculate on our priorities and targets? I’m guessing post players and wings will be the focus this circuit.

Any chance we could get one of these MN kids...especially Zeke cause he played with Amir, Gabe, Dan, and Jarvis? I don’t think Tyrell will stay because we have so many point guards and he’s super smart so standford will be tough to beat. Sadly looking like Sconnie could get both Wahl and Nnaji and one of the blue bloods looks to be favorite for Hurt. But hey who knows maybe they like playing together so much like the 18 kids and want to stay home

If Wisconsin has another crappy year and Minnesota makes the tournament I think we’ll be in a good spot. I wish we would’ve offered those guys earlier though

If Wisconsin has another crappy year and Minnesota makes the tournament I think we’ll be in a good spot. I wish we would’ve offered those guys earlier though

This seems to be a common sentiment on this board, but most of the 2019 recruits will commit and sign before this next season even starts, so it will have little impact on 2019 recruiting.

Go Gophers!!

Don’t know where you’re getting your info - wisconsin sources? I’ve heard that Iowa has a better shot at Zeke than Wisconsin but he probably won’t even go to school in the Midwest.

If I had to guess, we land Wahl and some top 100 out of state guys in the 19 class. I think people are severely underrating our chances with Hurt - however, I don’t think he ends up signing with us.

My perceived order of likelihood:
- Wahl
- Hurt
- Nnaji
- Terry (don’t think he will pass up Stanford)

Good post, especially the bold. I'd agree with your ordering as well. Haven't given up (I Still Got Hope) on landing Hurt.

Top Bottom