Page 132 of 156 FirstFirst ... 3282122130131132133134142 ... LastLast
Results 1,966 to 1,980 of 2336

Quote Originally Posted by alchemy2u View Post
    Making a mountain out of a mole hill. You do know that Sheffield was ready to commit to the U on his visit, but his family really wanted him to wait for the WSU visit (hometown school) before he decided. The home pressure was the key.

The transfer protocol has changed the recruiting landscape so dramatically that spring recruiting is now one of the highlights of the recruiting season. You need to look a little harder at his past recruits.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Pretty spot on. I thought Sherfield was kinda similar to Nate Mason and had potential to be really good but there are some grad transfers out there who might fill the Gopher need even better and then give you the scholarship back for that talented '20 class.

Quote Originally Posted by builtbadgers View Post
    Plus Marshall is really respected as a great coach and has a record of getting guys to the NBA. Recruiting is really tough and then when you get them you have a huge challenge in getting everything out of them. Great coaches are really hard to find. Great teaching is a tremendous gift and very rare. There are not 25 truly gifted NCAA coaches out of 350 some. That grades out as a grade of A for those select few. Anyone can recall the great teachers they had and those that were just there. Keep knocking Pitino and staff. Jeter is a grinder with a keen eye but as always it will be determined by how well they do in the win-loss column .
    Great post and I mean that!

This isn't the Wichita State of a dozen years ago. It's more like the Wichita State of three dozen years ago except with much, much better facilities (funded by Koch money). Marshall is a very accomplished coach and, undoubtedly, would be in a power six conference had Wichita State not come up with so much money to keep him. Of the two current players he has in the NBA, Van Vleet is a regular rotation player with one of the best teams in the league and rookie Shamet had a surprisingly good first year.

Quote Originally Posted by Gopherbbdude View Post
    Hopefully Ihnen doesn't slip away too.

"Ihnen gained exposure to college coaches recruiting internationally after playing with IBAM, which produced Stanford big man Oscar Da Silva and most recently 2019 NBA Draft prospect Joshua Obiesie. Ihnen played this season with Obiesie, who was on the World team in the Nike Hoop Summit over the weekend. Despite being just 190 pounds, Ihnen’s potential is intriguing with his athletic ability, length (7-4 wingspan) and perimeter skills for his size. He averaged 12.5 points, 8.9 rebounds, 2.1 assists and shot 35 percent from three-point range this season in the NBBL. In case you're wondering, that's Germany’s top basketball league for U19 players."

Quote Originally Posted by golfing18now View Post
    Interesting to note we constantly read from some posters about Pitino's inability to lock down the borders. Can't keep the Minnesota kids at home. Blah blah blah. Almost an expectation that any kid raised in Minnesota is by definition almost obligated to stay home. Otherwise, clearly some fault of the head coach.

I wonder if these same posters view kids in Wichita the same way. "Sherfield should feel an obligation to stay home". "Marshall needs to lock down the borders". Blah blah blah. By that definition Pitino never had a chance to recruit this kid but yet we hammer away when we can't get the kid to turn his back on his hometown.

Let's see where this class is after the spring signing period ends.
    I don’t ultimately care where a player is from. However, any school has a better chance at landing a local recruit as opposed to someone across the country. My view is based on the recruiting class as a whole which includes MN recruits we’ve missed on.

Blog Entries

Man-o-life! Gopher basketball recruiting is a drudgery. It is Mid-April and they only have one signed and one commitment for 2019. All the top MN instate players are heading elsewhere.

Richard Pitino and the Gophers need to catch a break and get an unexpected surprise player.
    Welcome to Badger Road Kill Country!

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by mkAz View Post
    Hopefully Ihnen doesn't slip away too.

"Ihnen gained exposure to college coaches recruiting internationally after playing with IBAM, which produced Stanford big man Oscar Da Silva and most recently 2019 NBA Draft prospect Joshua Obiesie. Ihnen played this season with Obiesie, who was on the World team in the Nike Hoop Summit over the weekend. Despite being just 190 pounds, Ihnen’s potential is intriguing with his athletic ability, length (7-4 wingspan) and perimeter skills for his size. He averaged 12.5 points, 8.9 rebounds, 2.1 assists and shot 35 percent from three-point range this season in the NBBL. In case you're wondering, that's Germany’s top basketball league for U19 players."
    Really hope we can land him. He's very intriguing as a stretch 4 guy. Not sure if he'd contribute year one, but with so many scholarships available a guy with his length, athleticism and perimeter skills is a guy I want to gamble on. His skill set complements Oturu really well

NVM, I now see Fuller's blurb explanation.

"After being born and raised in Wichita, Sherfield moved to Texas with his family around middle school, but he returned for his senior year with his parents."
    Last edited by Zeppelin Gopher; 04-17-2019 at 07:02 AM.

Richard seems horribly lazy when it comes to recruiting especially when compared to his counter part Fleck. This is a dreadful class, zero in state guys and hoping that a guy from Germany can reach some potential. Yuck. Plus the promise of plenty of playing time from the 3/4/5 spot. A warm body at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by abrams View Post
    Richard seems horribly lazy when it comes to recruiting especially when compared to his counter part Fleck. This is a dreadful class, zero in state guys and hoping that a guy from Germany can reach some potential. Yuck. Plus the promise of plenty of playing time from the 3/4/5 spot. A warm body at this point.
    Everyone seems to ignore the fact that Pitino banked two guard transfers in Carr and Willis. They might not count for this class but they certainly will have the same if not bigger impact than high school recruits, plus they appear to be affecting the decisions of potential guys like Sherfield who apparently feel that playing time will be slim pickings this season (at least compared to what other programs are offering)

Think to a year ago when the recruiting for this cycle heated up. He had to think the 3-4-5 spots open for this year would be limited role players at best with Coffey, Curry, Oturu, and Omersa all on board. Curry got hurt again, Coffey may be gone but I bet he'll be back, tough to project how much PT would be available back then.

Well PJ has to recruit about 6 or 7 times the amount of players in a year... PJ didn't land the #1 or #2 guy in the state the last few years...one went to a "blue blood" and the other to a rival...

I'm glad you mentioned Fleck. He is probably as good of a recruiter as you will find anywhere. Yet he has not landed a single 5 * and just a few 4* players. Why? Because he is a lousy recruiter? Nope. We haven't been winning yet and it's cold up here. When one of those two things changes, then Fleck will get better and better players. For now, I am going to create as much of a carbon footprint as I can.....

Go stick you head back in the ground, you obviously do not know what you are talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by alchemy2u View Post
    Go stick you head back in the ground, you obviously do not know what you are talking about.
    Is this class dreadful? It's currently ranked 11th in the Big 10, last years 2018 class was 8th so you see how those ranking shake out. I'm just not impressed with Richards approach to recruiting.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by John Galt View Post
    I don’t ultimately care where a player is from. However, any school has a better chance at landing a local recruit as opposed to someone across the country. My view is based on the recruiting class as a whole which includes MN recruits we’ve missed on.
    I really don't care either. but the advantage of recruiting an in-state kid is getting less and less every year....not just in MN.