All Things 2019 Gophers Basketball Recruiting Thread - Tweets, Links, Video, Analysis

Many decades ago an outstate kid was happy to get an offer from the U. It was a big city. Some kids rarely traveled. AAU was non-existent.

Today a Kevin McHale would be nationally known for 5 years. He would tavel the nation in AAU. He would have the blue bloods in Hibbing watching his games for years. He would be a McDonald's all american and he would probably pick a blue blood and be one and done.

McHale would have been a 3* recruit, he was not a great high school player.

McHale would have been a 3* recruit, he was not a great high school player.

Good call, but maybe a little overstated. He did lead a non-basketball school to a state championship. I don't know stats, but he surely dominated with his height, if not obvious basketball skill. His success over the long haul is a testament to his own hard work and the coaching he had at the U. He was pretty gangely and skinny as a freshman and was making perimeter shots as a senior. Really nice development.

Good call, but maybe a little overstated. He did lead a non-basketball school to a state championship. I don't know stats, but he surely dominated with his height, if not obvious basketball skill. His success over the long haul is a testament to his own hard work and the coaching he had at the U. He was pretty gangely and skinny as a freshman and was making perimeter shots as a senior. Really nice development.

He was a great HS player but had nowhere near the impact in HS as Olberding had just a few years prior. His development was amazing as he just kept getting better at each level he played.

"He did lead a non-basketball school to a state championship." poor Lingenfelter, never gets enough credit. He was the center on Jefferson, the team that beat hibbing in the AA championship game. Both Lingenfelter and McHale were on the Gophers 76 - 77 roster.

"He did lead a non-basketball school to a state championship." poor Lingenfelter, never gets enough credit. He was the center on Jefferson, the team that beat hibbing in the AA championship game. Both Lingenfelter and McHale were on the Gophers 76 - 77 roster.

I knew they were the same year and I could have sworn McHale and Hibbing won. I am getting old. I do remember Lingenfelter being the more sought after recruit. Probably more well known because he was a Twin Cities kid. Living in the same town as Coach Dutcher probably helped.

I knew they were the same year and I could have sworn McHale and Hibbing won. I am getting old. I do remember Lingenfelter being the more sought after recruit. Probably more well known because he was a Twin Cities kid. Living in the same town as Coach Dutcher probably helped.
Hibbing was runner up to Bloomington Jefferson in the 1976 AA Championship game 60-51.

To be clear, this is just 247's own rankings, NOT the composite. Tre Williams shoots back up 50 spots to finish just outside the top 100, but is still a composite 3-star.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Have we cancelled the other visits?

Edit: Looks like T Williams was supposed to visit May 5

Last edited:

Have we cancelled the other visits?

Edit: Looks like T Williams was supposed to visit May 5

This was covered in another thread, but Williams did not visit. Ended up visiting Cincinnati instead.

Right now, they're looking for a grad transfer guard. Kareem South has been mentioned, but I am not optimistic in him coming here. Would probably be someone who hasn't been mentioned yet.

This was covered in another thread, but Williams did not visit. Ended up visiting Cincinnati instead.

Right now, they're looking for a grad transfer guard. Kareem South has been mentioned, but I am not optimistic in him coming here. Would probably be someone who hasn't been mentioned yet.

thank you.

Lingenfelter was a much better High School basketball player, he probably would have been a 4*, still not McDonalds HS All American status.

I said I was like ehhh about getting Kobe Brown in the fold but screw that I want him. His offer list is nice and we need to stockpile talent. Adding him might bury a few guys at the 3/4 which is fine. I think that means we finally would have depth?

Wouldn't say no, but at the end of the day, we have enough for next year, get the best player available, whether it's a grad transfer, regular transfer, JUCO or high school kid

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

I said I was like ehhh about getting Kobe Brown in the fold but screw that I want him. His offer list is nice and we need to stockpile talent. Adding him might bury a few guys at the 3/4 which is fine. I think that means we finally would have depth?

According to 247, he hasn't received any new offers in the last 6 weeks since he got out of his LOI. That combined with the fact that his ranking has steadily and consistently dropped over the last couple years is a red flag to me.

Last edited:

Anyone think Brown is dependent on Amir? If Amir leaves we take him but if Amir announced he was coming back we pull the offer type thing or no?

Anyone think Brown is dependent on Amir? If Amir leaves we take him but if Amir announced he was coming back we pull the offer type thing or no?

I think I'd take Brown either way. I like the size and his offer list.

If Amir doesn't come back then ideally i'd rather take a solid grad transfer guard. We need all the immediate contributors we can get if we want to have any shot at making the tournament without Amir.

And if Amir does come back i'd also rather take a grad transfer guard because we would have 6 guys who can play the 3 if Amir is back and only one true PG on the roster. Willis and Coffey can give some minutes as the backup point but ideally, i'd prefer a grad transfer as the primary backup point and potential 6th man.

I'd be fine with taking Brown as a consolation prize, he is a solid recruit, especially at this time of year but a solid grad transfer guard is still my #1 preference.

According to 247, he hasn't received any new offers in the last 6 months since he got out of his LOI. That combined with the fact that his ranking has steadily and consistently dropped over the last couple years is a red flag to me.

I tend to agree... either way, I have heard he is a leaning heavily towards Mizzou. Guess we will see.

According to 247, he hasn't received any new offers in the last 6 months since he got out of his LOI. That combined with the fact that his ranking has steadily and consistently dropped over the last couple years is a red flag to me.

I know his stock fell but was it by that much? Honestly I do not know but I do remember someone saying that when we were on him in the fall. I'm still decently optimistic.

I'm assuming you meant six WEEKS, not six months as he didn't de-commit until the end of March. Vanderbilt has a new coach so clearly that was a recent development. Penn State wasn't listed on 247 so that must have been recent too. He had a ton of offers earlier (including Kansas, Louisville, and Ohio State). I wouldn't read too much into the last six weeks as 247 doesn't seem to update as much in the spring.

If Amir doesn't come back then ideally i'd rather take a solid grad transfer guard. We need all the immediate contributors we can get if we want to have any shot at making the tournament without Amir.

And if Amir does come back i'd also rather take a grad transfer guard because we would have 6 guys who can play the 3 if Amir is back and only one true PG on the roster. Willis and Coffey can give some minutes as the backup point but ideally, i'd prefer a grad transfer as the primary backup point and potential 6th man.

I'd be fine with taking Brown as a consolation prize, he is a solid recruit, especially at this time of year but a solid grad transfer guard is still my #1 preference.

I might want Brown more than you but its tough not to agree with this. I really think its big that we get back to the tourney and have a solid regular season. Need to start building a consistent product. 2 out of 3 tourneys, it would be big if we made it 3 out of 4 and finished top 6 in the B1G next year. Might be able to use an experienced backup guard to help do that.

If Amir doesn’t come back we can get Brown and grad transfer. Correct?

If Coffey isn’t here we lost: Murph, Pree, Stull, Matz, IW and Coffey

We added: Williams, Freeman, Ilhan and Demir

Leaves two open.

If Amir doesn’t come back we can get Brown and grad transfer. Correct?

If Coffey isn’t here we lost: Murph, Pree, Stull, Matz, IW and Coffey

We added: Williams, Freeman, Ilhan and Demir

Leaves two open.

That makes sense. But how difficult will it be to find a decent recruit for Amir's spot if he decides to stay in the draft? When will we even know for sure?

RJ is saying over on GI that Brown is most likely headed to Missouri. I personally would be surprised if Amir doesn't return for his senior season.

I'm assuming you meant six WEEKS, not six months as he didn't de-commit until the end of March. Vanderbilt has a new coach so clearly that was a recent development. Penn State wasn't listed on 247 so that must have been recent too. He had a ton of offers earlier (including Kansas, Louisville, and Ohio State). I wouldn't read too much into the last six weeks as 247 doesn't seem to update as much in the spring.

Lol yes, my bad. Meant weeks. I would expect multiple offers to come in for a legit high major prospect who has been available for over a month. Maybe they have and 247 just hasn't added to his timeline.

I haven't seen him play and haven't followed him closely, so I don't have a strong opinion, but I get the vibe that he's one of those guys who was a big recruit when he was younger because he developed early physically, but never really improved. His early offers and the fact that he dropped from #40 in 2017 steadily down to #251 makes it seem that way.

Last edited:

I know his stock fell but was it by that much? Honestly I do not know but I do remember someone saying that when we were on him in the fall. I'm still decently optimistic.

According to his composite rank history on 247, he was rated #40 in 2017 and is now #251.

That makes sense. But how difficult will it be to find a decent recruit for Amir's spot if he decides to stay in the draft? When will we even know for sure?

I think they have to withdraw by 5/29

Top Bottom