All Things 2019 Gophers Basketball Recruiting Thread - Tweets, Links, Video, Analysis

I was comparing relative size and roles. Omersa will probably be 245lbs by his senior season.
Comparing Omersa's freshmen numbers to Stampers senior numbers is apples and oranges.

Stamper and Omersa are virtually the same size. They are both 6'6", and Stamper was listed at 215 while Omersa is listed at 225. Omersa is only a rising sophomore and certainly could get much better, but at this point he is not even close to Stamper. Stamper started an entire season and averaged roughly 6 pts and 6 boards per game. If you extrapolate Omersa's freshman numbers over the same minutes, he'd be at about 3 pts and 4 boards per game - essentially, he's a little better than half the player Stamper was.

Richard seems horribly lazy when it comes to recruiting especially when compared to his counter part Fleck. This is a dreadful class, zero in state guys and hoping that a guy from Germany can reach some potential. Yuck. Plus the promise of plenty of playing time from the 3/4/5 spot. A warm body at this point.

Time to admit that you have no idea what you were complaining about! If you dish it out, you need to be able to take it when you are wrong.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

per Marcus:

“I was looking to go to a program where there is a huge opening in my position,” Demir told the Star Tribune. “A good team that has a good chance making it to the [NCAA] tournament and having a chance to make a run in the tournament. But most importantly I was looking for the right fit.”

There are big shoes to fill at power forward after Pitino lost All-Big Ten senior Jordan Murphy to graduation. Murphy finished his career as the school’s all-time leading rebounder and No. 2 in scoring. Demir is more of a versatile forward with the ability to play on the perimeter and score in the low post.

“[Murphy] averaged over 30 minutes and is graduating,” said Demir, who might replace Murphy as a frontcourt starter. “There is a need in that spot, but nothing is promised.”

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-add-grad-transfer-in-drexel-s-alihan-demir/509403061/

Go Gophers!!

not sure if this has been posted anywhere....but Kobe Brown, who took an official visit here, committed to Texas A&M and has since de-committed. Looks like the MN coaches visited him on Wednesday.

not sure if this has been posted anywhere....but Kobe Brown, who took an official visit here, committed to Texas A&M and has since de-committed. Looks like the MN coaches visited him on Wednesday.

I'd take Kobe Brown. Wonder if they might get him only if Coffey leaves.

Another interesting fact is I havent seen one GH contributor say they dont want him, but he is ranked in the 200's. Lot's of Gopherholers are so stuck on rankings, weird this hasnt been the case for this guy

Another interesting fact is I havent seen one GH contributor say they dont want him, but he is ranked in the 200's. Lot's of Gopherholers are so stuck on rankings, weird this hasnt been the case for this guy

All anybody needs to do is take a look at his offer list, seems to be pretty telling to me but obviously nobody is a sure thing

Competition appears to be:

Penn State (visited there, and PSU offered his brother, kind of a reverse Hurt deal)
Vanderbilt
VA Tech
Missouri

Gophers have a pretty full roster. I just dont see it, but would welcome it

Competition appears to be:

Penn State (visited there, and PSU offered his brother, kind of a reverse Hurt deal)
Vanderbilt
VA Tech
Missouri

Gophers have a pretty full roster. I just dont see it, but would welcome it

My other point is that if we take on a Kobe Brown, that decreases next years open schollies down to 3. Do we really want to do it that with a potential big time class for 2020?

My other point is that if we take on a Kobe Brown, that decreases next years open schollies down to 3. Do we really want to do it that with a potential big time class for 2020?

Correct. Pass, unless Coffey leaves.

It doesn't matter how many open scholarships you have if you can't actually land the kids you want. Do we actually feel we can land 4 out of the 5 in-state guys in the 2020 class? I'd be ecstatic if we landed 3 and happy even if we only got two out of Suggs, Diana, Garcia, Carlson and Walton.

Do people think that landing 4+ is a possibility? The buzz seems to be that Carlson will go outstate and that would leave Suggs, Dainja, Walton and Garcia. We have never landed an instate class like that, or even a class that good so I personally would take Kobe Brown if we feel he can develop into a good player.

It doesn't matter how many open scholarships you have if you can't actually land the kids you want. Do we actually feel we can land 4 out of the 5 in-state guys in the 2020 class? I'd be ecstatic if we landed 3 and happy even if we only got two out of Suggs, Diana, Garcia, Carlson and Walton.

You know there are 49 states and a bunch of other countries that have basketball players too, right?

You know there are 49 states and a bunch of other countries that have basketball players too, right?

Yes but people are wanting us to have 4 openings specifically because this MN class is very good. I don't think anyone on here would care if we had 3 vs 4 openings if it was an average or below average in-state class and we were expected to target primarily out of state players.

2019 big David Skogman commits to Buffalo. Did Wisconsin offer? I'm aware of his heart problem, but it stills seems odd.

2019 big David Skogman commits to Buffalo. Did Wisconsin offer? I'm aware of his heart problem, but it stills seems odd.

Message board whispering suggested Wisconsin was talking to him and might give him a walk-on fist year scholarship the next like they did with Hedstrom. My guess is he sees immediate opportunity at a strong Buffalo program and jumping at it. Who can blame him? I know nothing about his health. Hopefully, it doesn't hamper his career, but if there are issues that could have scared some teams off.

Holding back scholarships is an incredibly stupid strategy when you could have a graduate transfer of any caliber...even to help with practice. There is no point ever to not use all 13. While we may have an edge on in-state recruits, banking scholarships in hopes of getting them is ridiculous considering our track record. Hopefully we will get some but thinking we'll get so many that we need to hold back scholarships for them is ridiculous. Let's recruit the best folks who want to go here no matter where they are from...the other 49 states, Europe etc.

Don't know if it is noted yet, but we currently rank at 4th in the big ten rankings for 2019 recruiting. Wisconsin, on the other hand, sits at 14th with Tyler Wahl and a grad transfer as there lone recruits. big year for the gophers

Suggs is a top 10 player and he will be blue blood one and done just like: both Jones', Hurt, Trent.

Garcia is moving up the boards so he may enter the McDonalds all american arena and unlikely to stay home.

So then we are down to Carlson, Dainja, and Walton. Carlson is looking elsewhere from what I here. Now we have two in Dainja and Walton from in Minnesota. Looks like we need to adjust expectations to meet the reality of the last 5-10 years.

Don't know if it is noted yet, but we currently rank at 4th in the big ten rankings for 2019 recruiting. Wisconsin, on the other hand, sits at 14th with Tyler Wahl and a grad transfer as there lone recruits. big year for the gophers

Do grad transfers factor into the rankings? I didn’t think they did.

Suggs is a top 10 player and he will be blue blood one and done just like: both Jones', Hurt, Trent.

Garcia is moving up the boards so he may enter the McDonalds all american arena and unlikely to stay home.

So then we are down to Carlson, Dainja, and Walton. Carlson is looking elsewhere from what I here. Now we have two in Dainja and Walton from in Minnesota. Looks like we need to adjust expectations to meet the reality of the last 5-10 years.

Steven Crowl is getting a lot of high major attention right now and just got an offer from Colorado. Another one to keep an eye on in this class.

Yes, absolutely. Chances of having somebody transfer out after next year are better than not having a transfer. Reality of college basketball now.

Give yourself as many options/depth as possible. Nothing is promised in 2020. Better results lead to better recruits. An "open scholarship" offers nothing to that end.

3 for the Fall. That's 2 more than we filled last fall. I agree that projecting what we will have next Spring is a crapshoot.

Top Bottom