All Things 2019 Gophers Basketball Recruiting Thread - Tweets, Links, Video, Analysis

Adding Demir and South or Gresham would be a nice way to round out the class. Gophers need some experienced players, especially if Amir doesn't come back.

I agree. I think what the coaches are probably fighting is the chances that Curry comes back at near full strength and the chance that Coffey comes back. If both happens, we have a pretty full roster. I would like the grad transfers that we are targeting, but I could see them wanting to go somewhere that has potential for more playing time.

It is exciting to have so many new faces. No one on the list will come close to what Murphy provided this team which concerns me. It sounds like Carr will be a nice addition at point guard. Everyone else seems uncertain.

I agree. I think what the coaches are probably fighting is the chances that Curry comes back at near full strength and the chance that Coffey comes back. If both happens, we have a pretty full roster. I would like the grad transfers that we are targeting, but I could see them wanting to go somewhere that has potential for more playing time.

it be interesting to know out of the power six conference schools, what the average % of scholarships used every year per school.

If we strike out on PF transfers, is there any chance we start Oturu at PF:

PG: Carr
SG: Kalesheur
SF: Coffey
PF: Oturu
C: Freeman

Center is probably the spot where players can provide a stabilizing force fairly easy if they are strong enough. Maybe playing Freeman at center would enable us to keep our best players on the floor the majority of the game. Just don't know if Oturu is able to shoot a J or not. Would be good for Daniel to show the NBA he can play PF.

It is exciting to have so many new faces. No one on the list will come close to what Murphy provided this team which concerns me. It sounds like Carr will be a nice addition at point guard. Everyone else seems uncertain.
It's always exciting to look forward to additions to the team. Since Murphy is the only big loss, sheer numbers of newbies have me fairly confident.

Center is probably the spot where players can provide a stabilizing force fairly easy if they are strong enough. Maybe playing Freeman at center would enable us to keep our best players on the floor the majority of the game. Just don't know if Oturu is able to shoot a J or not. Would be good for Daniel to show the NBA he can play PF.

I thought Oturu exhibited a workable jumper from 12 feet or so. But I would be (pleasantly) surprised if Freeman is capable of taking over at center right away. That's asking an awful lot.

JTG

We are in deep trouble if Sam Freeman is starting for us at C

I don't disagree but at the same time I would have said the same thing about playing Matz this year and boy I was wrong

Are you saying we wouldn't have been in trouble if Matz had started throughout the year for us this past season? Because I would strongly disagree with that. There's a reason Oturu started and they still preferred a hobbled Eric Curry before Matz played significant minutes.

He had some nice moments during the Iowa game, the Oklahoma State game was ok too and of course the Purdue game was great but Matz playing major minutes would've been a less than ideal situation.

I agree.

It's too bad that Coffey returning is uncertain. If he were coming back for sure, I think that the coaches would have a better chance of selling a high end grad transfer like Juiston for example, on the idea of a club that has a chance at a deep run in the NCAAs. A mid level guy may not be so sure that he can beat out Curry and Omersa.

Are you saying we wouldn't have been in trouble if Matz had started throughout the year for us this past season? Because I would strongly disagree with that. There's a reason Oturu started and they still preferred a hobbled Eric Curry before Matz played significant minutes.

He had some nice moments during the Iowa game, the Oklahoma State game was ok too and of course the Purdue game was great but Matz playing major minutes would've been a less than ideal situation.

I think Curry played while he was hobbled, not because he was more effective than Matz, but because he has so much of a higher ceiling had he been able to stay healthy and knock the rust off. It just didn't work out.

No, I was trying to say that this time last year if someone told me Matz was going to play significant minutes, I would have said we are screwed (maybe not the best comparison to draw). Starting is different obviously so maybe wrong to compare the two. He averaged 11 mpg but I don't see Freeman playing more than 15 next year, and if he does I wouldn't say that is necessarily the death of us.

Under your scenario where they miss on a starting caliber grad transfer PF and Coffey is back, I would be open to starting Coffey and Michael Hurt at forward with Oturu at center. If Curry is healthy, he's a guy you can start based on matchups too (especially in the big ten). I am hoping Omersa can make a bigger impact in year 2 as well.

If Coffey is back, I want those final two scholarships going to grad transfers regardless of skill level. They need to keep 3-4 scholarships open for 2020. Have to. I am hoping they are reaching out on grad transfer guards beyond Gresham and South as well. Just get a body, it's likely a backup for a year but I would prefer guys who can play versus taking sit out transfers who take away a scholarship from the 2020 or 2021 classes.

If Coffey is back, I want those final two scholarships going to grad transfers regardless of skill level. They need to keep 3-4 scholarships open for 2020. Have to. I am hoping they are reaching out on grad transfer guards beyond Gresham and South as well. Just get a body, it's likely a backup for a year but I would prefer guys who can play versus taking sit out transfers who take away a scholarship from the 2020 or 2021 classes.

I'm with you 100% on this.

I agree, and he was a fifth year senior. Im looking forward to the future with freeman, but i dont need him starting. Last year oturu started and he was a top 50 guy, but if we start some 3 star true freshman we are in trouble! I know rankings arent everything, but we pretty much knew going into last year that oturu was something special. Would love for freeman to match oturu's freshman year, but not seeing it.

I disagree regarding Stockman. Yes, Oturu was the better player, but Stockman was more than serviceable. Early in the year, most posters on this board made him the target of jokes and assumed he had little value. When he got opportunities to play, he played like he belonged on the court. That only continued as he got more playing time. Other than lacking strength to bang with the real monster players, I thought he played well on both ends of the floor and mostly silenced his critics (more likely shocked them). He blocked and altered shots on defense and showed nice touch around the basket on offense. I think he would have been a capable starter at center on many D1 teams last year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I disagree regarding Stockman. Yes, Oturu was the better player, but Stockman was more than serviceable. Early in the year, most posters on this board made him the target of jokes and assumed he had little value. When he got opportunities to play, he played like he belonged on the court. That only continued as he got more playing time. Other than lacking strength to bang with the real monster players, I thought he played well on both ends of the floor and mostly silenced his critics (more likely shocked them). He blocked and altered shots on defense and showed nice touch around the basket on offense. I think he would have been a capable starter at center on many D1 teams last year.

More than anything, we really need to move away from playing so many lineups with 2 PF/C unless one of them is capable of being a perimeter player on offense.

I understand that we had to do it last year because of our personnel, but those types of sets can't be our goal moving forward.

I am in this camp as well. I thought Matz was really solid and could have played 15 solid minutes a game. I didn't think that would be the case, but I was wrong. I'm just saying Freeman has the size and is probably a little more fluid of an athlete than Stockman and he surprised us. It could happen again although I'm not counting on it.

If Stockman was available next year and we got no Grad Transfer PF, I'd be very comfortable starting him and Oturu down low.

I agree, and he was a fifth year senior. Im looking forward to the future with freeman, but i dont need him starting. Last year oturu started and he was a top 50 guy, but if we start some 3 star true freshman we are in trouble! I know rankings arent everything, but we pretty much knew going into last year that oturu was something special. Would love for freeman to match oturu's freshman year, but not seeing it.

Maybe he's like Jordan Murphy his freshman year. You can't say "we are in big trouble if he is starting" because you have no idea how good he is.

Why go old school? Without Murphy I believe Pitino is going to want to do what he’s always espoused and play more flexibly, with four guys on the perimeter. Look at how the rest of the country is playing. A traditional 4 and 5 are very rare.

More than anything, we really need to move away from playing so many lineups with 2 PF/C unless one of them is capable of being a perimeter player on offense.

I understand that we had to do it last year because of our personnel, but those types of sets can't be our goal moving forward.

Thank you, couldn’t agree more. While Murphy was a great player, he limited what Pitino could do because he had limitations on each end of the floor - he was a traditional PF. Look south and east of us, as well as to Virginia and TT, they play one big with four perimeter players. I think Oturo will flourish if you can open up the lane for him.

Maybe he's like Jordan Murphy his freshman year. You can't say "we are in big trouble if he is starting" because you have no idea how good he is.

Your right. I hope im wrong, but ill take my chances that im right. If freeman is starting next year we either got ourselves a steal or we have injuries. Hopefully we have a steal!

Trying to follow this thread. Why are people assuming that Jarvis can't start at the PF? If Carr can play, Amir moves back to SF, Oturu takes on a larger part of the scoring load with Murph graduating, etc. Jarvis can run, jump, defend, provide energy. I think he showed in the last game in particular that he is capable, albeit with a (very) small sample size. Again just curious why people think he can't fill this role if we don't land a graduate PF?

Trying to follow this thread. Why are people assuming that Jarvis can't start at the PF? If Carr can play, Amir moves back to SF, Oturu takes on a larger part of the scoring load with Murph graduating, etc. Jarvis can run, jump, defend, provide energy. I think he showed in the last game in particular that he is capable, albeit with a (very) small sample size. Again just curious why people think he can't fill this role if we don't land a graduate PF?

Because he didn't show enough last year. Wasn't really a factor on either end of the court. I'll be very happy if he is a solid bench piece next year.

Because he didn't show enough last year. Wasn't really a factor on either end of the court. I'll be very happy if he is a solid bench piece next year.
So hard to draw that type of conclusion based on the small sample size of games he played. I think the jury is out but I remain optimistic that he will grow into a very good PF in the next couple years

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

So hard to draw that type of conclusion based on the small sample size of games he played. I think the jury is out but I remain optimistic that he will grow into a very good PF in the next couple years

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

He played a decent amount in the non conference and didn't really do anything though.

He played a decent amount in the non conference and didn't really do anything though.

he showed himself to be an effective defender in the ncaa game vs MSU with Murphy out. At the beginning of the year he was still a raw freshman. Development happens and players can improve.

he showed himself to be an effective defender in the ncaa game vs MSU with Murphy out. At the beginning of the year he was still a raw freshman. Development happens and players can improve.

You have to also remember omersà just turned 18 this year. He’s already athletically gifted and has lots of room to grow.

Top Bottom