All Things 2019 Gophers Basketball Recruiting Thread - Tweets, Links, Video, Analysis

Plus Hurt wants to be a doctor, the U has a good med school.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Cross Luke Anderson off the list. Looks like he just committed to Iowa State.

Cross Luke Anderson off the list. Looks like he just committed to Iowa State.
Is there reason for us to panic. I honestly only see us being favorites on David Roddy and no one else at the moment

Is there reason for us to panic. I honestly only see us being favorites on David Roddy and no one else at the moment
I am kinda curious to see if we offer Robert Jones

If one were to panic, what does that get you? ... more problems.

per Marcus:

-- The Gophers still haven't hosted their first prospect for an official visit yet this year since two targets committed before their scheduled trips. Sunrise Christian Academy (Kan.) guard Austin Crowley committed to Vanderbilt the week of his Aug. 30 trip to Minnesota. Lakeland (Fla.) forward Luke Anderson committed to Iowa State over the weekend, so he cancelled the Sept. 8 weekend visit to the Twin Cities.

Next up for Gopher official visits? Breck two-sport star and forward David Roddy on Sept. 14-16. Also scheduled later are Pebblebrook (Ga.) forward Jared Jones on Oct. 6 and Bishop Walsh (MD) wing Yavuz Gultekin on Oct. 26.

http://www.startribune.com/matthew-...s-this-weekend-minnesota-next-week/492413931/

Go Gophers!!

Yuck. This class could be terrible.

I think we have to count Willis and Carr in this class because it's when they are eligible. I really think we can afford one down year, as long as we can score again on 2020. Otherwise it may be down from the past couple of years.

I think we have to count Willis and Carr in this class because it's when they are eligible. I really think we can afford one down year, as long as we can score again on 2020. Otherwise it may be down from the past couple of years.

If you are a Big Ten team that has won one Tournament game since 1997, you can't afford one down recruiting year (keep in mind, it's not as if our "non" down recruiting years are top 3-4 in Big Ten, as they aren't), and if you are a Big Ten coach who is in year six of a tenure and now has an AD who didn't hire you and you've never won an NCAA tournament game, you especially cannot afford one down year in recruiting, as one fantastic recruiting year (re: top 3-4 in BT) may buy you an extra year even if the on court performance isn't there.

Go Gophers!!

If you are a Big Ten team that has won one Tournament game since 1997, you can't afford one down recruiting year (keep in mind, it's not as if our "non" down recruiting years are top 3-4 in Big Ten, as they aren't), and if you are a Big Ten coach who is in year six of a tenure and now has an AD who didn't hire you and you've never won an NCAA tournament game, you especially cannot afford one down year in recruiting, as one fantastic recruiting year (re: top 3-4 in BT) may buy you an extra year even if the on court performance isn't there.

Go Gophers!!
Just got to get the right guys, regardless of ranking. As I've said before Mason, McBreyer and Murphy weren't highly regarded, and depending on who you trust neither were Omersa or Gabe K. Find guys who ideally fit what you're trying to do. The in state talent isn't dipping anytime soon and we have a team that can compete this year. Get to the tourney and that will create momentum for 2020 and a grad transfer and/or transfer in the spring

Just got to get the right guys, regardless of ranking. As I've said before Mason, McBreyer and Murphy weren't highly regarded, and depending on who you trust neither were Omersa or Gabe K. Find guys who ideally fit what you're trying to do. The in state talent isn't dipping anytime soon and we have a team that can compete this year. Get to the tourney and that will create momentum for 2020 and a grad transfer and/or transfer in the spring

I'll agree with you that I want the right guys regardless of ranking. But I think it's a little disingenuous to call any of those guys under the radar or "not highly regarded."

Mason -- ranked #176 in 247sports composite. Offers from Virginia, Clemson, Kansas St, Creighton, and many others.

McBrayer -- ranked #138 in 247sports composite. Offers from Pitt, Butler, Creighton, and Providence among others. (Personally I'd argue that McBrayer hasn't been all that good, but that's a debate for a different thread.)

Murphy -- ranked #167 in 247sports composite. Was committed to Shaka Smart at VCU before Shaka went to Texas. Offers from Maryland, Texas A&M, Oklahoma, Baylor, and many others.

I don't agree that they were not highly regarded.

I'll agree with you that I want the right guys regardless of ranking. But I think it's a little disingenuous to call any of those guys under the radar or "not highly regarded."

Mason -- ranked #176 in 247sports composite. Offers from Virginia, Clemson, Kansas St, Creighton, and many others.

McBrayer -- ranked #138 in 247sports composite. Offers from Pitt, Butler, Creighton, and Providence among others. (Personally I'd argue that McBrayer hasn't been all that good, but that's a debate for a different thread.)

Murphy -- ranked #167 in 247sports composite. Was committed to Shaka Smart at VCU before Shaka went to Texas. Offers from Maryland, Texas A&M, Oklahoma, Baylor, and many others.

In response to a comment saying they "aren't top 3-4 of the B1G 10 good years", yes those listed are not "highly regarded". I think it's all a matter of expectations. Do you expect us to sign 150ish recruits every year? Yes. Then this class has the making of being a down year.

It’s not impossible that the 2019 recruiting class won’t wrap up for another 9 months or so. I’m going to wait to pass judgment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll give you Dupree as he was rated higher than I remembered but at best were splitting hairs with what's highly regarded. No one gets excited for players listed in the 165-200+ range which is where Mason and Murphy fall. The sky is falling crowd panics when we strikeout on the top 150.

Go Gophers!!

I didn't word my earlier post correctly, but Carr and Willis aren't a down year in recruiting in my opinion as long as we can add some good fits. I just think we tend to get unrealistic. One rough year out of six isn't bad. If we have 2, now we have a different discussion imo. Also agree if he doesn't win he's gone, no matter how good or bad the class is.

The assistant coach changes and bad record can't be good for optics. How many of these other schools are telling our recruits that Pitino is on the way out??

The assistant coach changes and bad record can't be good for optics. How many of these other schools are telling our recruits that Pitino is on the way out??
I'm sure they're. Just like a year ago Iam sure people were telling Nebby recruits Miles was in his way out

Changes within a staff happen to virtually every program every year, it's not a new concept for recruits. Assistants leave for various reasons, but it's largely to put themselves in the best position to one day become a head coach. Any recruit following the Gophers knows last year was marred by injuries and the Lynch suspension. Take 4 of the top 6 players away from any Power 5 program for the amount of time Pitino was without his, and the record would be similar. That said, coaches take any angle they can to make themselves look better, including telling recruits a coach might be on the hot seat when it couldn't be further from the truth.

Barring a complete collapse, Pitino is safe. I don't have any inside info, but I'm willing to bet the Gophers have a lot better shot at Hurt than most think.

Changes within a staff happen to virtually every program every year, it's not a new concept for recruits. Assistants leave for various reasons, but it's largely to put themselves in the best position to one day become a head coach. Any recruit following the Gophers knows last year was marred by injuries and the Lynch suspension. Take 4 of the top 6 players away from any Power 5 program for the amount of time Pitino was without his, and the record would be similar. That said, coaches take any angle they can to make themselves look better, including telling recruits a coach might be on the hot seat when it couldn't be further from the truth.

Barring a complete collapse, Pitino is safe. I don't have any inside info, but I'm willing to bet the Gophers have a lot better shot at Hurt than most think.

I dont think you're understanding the point. Coaches of other schools will tell recruits Pitino is in trouble, regardless if its true or not. These coaches are paid to sell, paid to convince, paid to tell a good story.

I dont think you're understanding the point. Coaches of other schools will tell recruits Pitino is in trouble, regardless if its true or not. These coaches are paid to sell, paid to convince, paid to tell a good story.

Paid to lie? Works on the federal level of our government.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Thought we might be out of the running on this one, so this is a nice surprise.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Thought we might be out of the running on this one, so this is a nice surprise.

Let's hope that lindsted hire pays off

Top Bottom