Reusse: Dreaming of future Gophers football glory: A Citrus Bowl victory

I, for one enjoy the Spring game / scrimmage.

Get a fairly up close look at the team, and new additions.... in fact, last Spring I was on the sidelines for a really up close look at the entire thing. It was a bit more controlled this year, and that was not possible... but still, you can get up close.

If there were 43,000 people trying to get in, and the parking and traffic that goes with it, I would not bother. I like the current intimacy, but would have no problem if the event were to gain popularity.

why does everyone make a correlation of spring game attendance to the greatness of a program. is there anything more boring than a spring football scrimmage. 100,000 people to watch your teams defense play against your teams offense for 40 minutes. give me a break. In MN we have more things to do than they do in NE or WI. our school is located in a large Metro area that during the spring offers more for the people to do than to go and watch our team play each other. the Masters was on TV. It wasn't a nice day, but the crappi's were biting somewhere. I am soo sick and tired of being compared to the idiots from NE because they draw so big to their spring game. I guess if I lived in Omaha or Lincoln I would probably go too because they have nothing else to do. NOTHING!! I've been to a spring game, and I've been to a fall scrimmage where the kids got to run out onto the field and I have to say I've never been more bored in my life. Its spring!! I love the gophers, and i'll be there in the fall for 2-3 games, but I wont attend a spring game.

" give me a break. In MN we have more things to do than they do in NE or WI. our school is located in a large Metro area "

Yes, and this is easily recognized by recruits. And to me is an easy explanation for why we may peak at sixth in recruiting.

You won't shut Patrick up until we we've a meaningful season. Winning a bowl game against Central Michigan isn't
meaningful.

" give me a break. In MN we have more things to do than they do in NE or WI. our school is located in a large Metro area "

Yes, and this is easily recognized by recruits. And to me is an easy explanation for why we may peak at sixth in recruiting.

Totally Agree! I also believe the Vikings being in the same city as the Gophers makes winning way more challenging.

You won't shut Patrick up until we we've a meaningful season. Winning a bowl game against Central Michigan isn't
meaningful.

I'm sure the team is crushed you didn't find their Bowl game meaningful. Gotta feel for those kids.

Yawn.... What else is new with Pat?

Unless you're playing in the playoffs, every bowl game is as "meaningful" as the next.

Are you suggesting that the Quick Lanes bowl is as meaningful as a Rose Bowl? Or even the Citrus Bowl we played in on New Year's Day?

Unless you're playing in the playoffs, every bowl game is as "meaningful" as the next.

Ya know Reusse is only holding the U accountable for 'giving up' on football as a major part of the collegiate experience. He grew up loving it and the Child is Father to the Man. he loves Gopher football and has watched 50 years of ineptitude run this sht show.

Ya know Reusse is only holding the U accountable for 'giving up' on football as a major part of the collegiate experience.

From 2009-2018, wouldnt the U have built $443-483 million dollars worth of new facilities with (quick math) 70-80 percent benefiting the Gopher football program?

I'm sure the team is crushed you didn't find their Bowl game meaningful. Gotta feel for those kids.

Has nothing to do with the kids, although we're a society that teaches our kids that mediocrity is worth a trophy. You're not going to be media darlings with a 5-7 record. Until the U figures out how to do it right we will continue to wear hand me down clothes in relation to popularity. I bet you could walk down Nicolet Ave. and ask 100 people who the starting QB will be for the Gophers this fall and I bet you would struggle to reach 10%. I've been a life long Gopher fan with season tickets in both basketball and football since the late 70's. and the perception of both sports, especially football nationwide is pathetic. There are a lot of B1G Ten snowbirds out here in Arizona and nobody talks about Minnesota winning the Western Division. Mostly it's: " Do you think you'll make a bowl game this year"?.

I don't sit and dream of a Gopher victory in the Citrus Bowl, but, hell yes, I'd take it in a heartbeat. So would just about everyone else. Once we get that, we'll start having bigger dreams. So what's the point? "I really should write something, but I don't want to get off my fat ass."

Fat Pat screwed up there. Getting to the Citrus would be a huge accomplishment for the program. And that could mean that there team has improved enough to do better the next season.

The reason he picks on the gophers, is because he can. The Vikings are sacred... He knows picking on the Vikings will get him roasted by readers. Not to mention the trib has always subtlety (sometimes not so subtlety), had an agenda to keep the Vikings up & the Gophers down. The Timberwolves are BY FAR a way bigger laughing stock than the Gophers, but guess who owns the Star tribune AND the Timberwolves??... The Twins... Again, sacred. So who's left for the biggest, most curmudgeonly wind bag in Minnesota to pick on? Ah yes, U football! They can show all the character, determination & class in the world, but he doesn't care. He needs to show he's a "hard nosed, call it as I see it, good ol' boy from fulda" But alas, when you are the coward on the playground, the only way to seem tough is to find the one kid who can't or won't fight back & torment him mercilessly. So congratulations Pat, all you've conveyed with your article, is that you are a cowardly, click bait writer, with nothing to contribute but vitriol & negativity toward KIDS who are just playing for the love of the game, for free, for us, for YOU... So shame on you Pat, shame...

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Every word of this is so spot on. Twins managed to set an all-time record for most losses to start a season this year. Where's the vitriol? Where's the sarcastic shaming of a delusional fanbase?

Throw in a pinch of self-loathing (as Pat did grow up a huge Gophers fan), and you understand columns like these.

That's the opposite of what I was trying to say. I meant to say that it's nonsense to consider every bowl game, from the Rose Bowl on down to the Odor Eater Bowl, to be equally meaningful or meaningless.

Maybe I'm new at working my computer thingy.

C'mon people. Pat Reusse wrote this column for one reason - to tick off Gopher fans. At this point of his career, his whole reason for existence is to agitate people and provoke a reaction. On his radio show he mentioned the column, and said "I told Gopher hole fans not to read it." Meaning, he wants Gopher Hole fans to read it and get mad.

So, when you start a thread like this, you are giving Reusse exactly what he wants. it's like feeding your drunken uncle more booze at the wedding dance, and then being surprised when he makes a scene and embarrasses the bride.

In chemical dependency terms, we have become Pat Reusse's enablers.

Suck it, Patrick. All the negativity that's in this town SUCKS.

Has nothing to do with the kids, although we're a society that teaches our kids that mediocrity is worth a trophy. You're not going to be media darlings with a 5-7 record. Until the U figures out how to do it right we will continue to wear hand me down clothes in relation to popularity. I bet you could walk down Nicolet Ave. and ask 100 people who the starting QB will be for the Gophers this fall and I bet you would struggle to reach 10%. I've been a life long Gopher fan with season tickets in both basketball and football since the late 70's. and the perception of both sports, especially football nationwide is pathetic. There are a lot of B1G Ten snowbirds out here in Arizona and nobody talks about Minnesota winning the Western Division. Mostly it's: " Do you think you'll make a bowl game this year"?.
With the way retail is going you might be lucky to find 100 people on Nicollet Ave

I ask that same question going into every season and I have been a Gopher fan and ST holder for decades. The bar is very low for football and basketball even for informed fans.

Just how many times is PR going to write this story? Goodness, everyone knows how the Gophers stand in the grand scheme of things. Most of us are trying to be part of the solution as Reusse remains part of the problem.

I know Pat is being sarcastic - but what he describes is pretty much all I hold out hope for. I don't ever expect the Gophers to be in the playoff (as it currently stands - I mean if it expands up to 12-16 teams, it is conceivable). Give me a couple weeks of sports-joy during the fall, and a little hope and it remains fun to be a fan. Fun is all I'm looking for - we're not dealing with life and death here.

The Gophers are an easy target, but over the last 5 years they are probably a close 2nd to the Wild as far as success in this town for the 6 'major' sports (NFL, NBA, NHL, MLB, College FB & BB). With the wide-spreading differences between the structures of the different businesses, I'm sure this claim could be argued to death - but it's not too far fetched. Is it?

Can we stop living in the freaking Past!

We have a team that is improving and looks forward to having a good seasons this year. I am sick and tired of people who constantly whine and judge the team for what has happen in the past. Let's enjoy the new season to come. Like others have said, people can pile on every one of the local sports teams about past ineptitudes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I suppose we're talking about the difference between dreams and expectations. I dream of the day the Gopher FB team is contending for national honors, winning Rose Bowls, and leading Sportscenter after another big win. But, I don't expect that - at least not this year.

In response to Reusse's article, I am not going to say it's impossible that the Gophers will ever win a B1G title, a Rose Bowl, or make the national playoffs. But, in order for that to happen, a lot of things will have to line up - the right coach, right players, right schedule, the right amount of support from the AD, administration and fans, etc. So, not impossible - but it won't be easy.

I think plenty of people thought we would be better than Iowa last year in the preseason, IA ended up one win away from the college playoffs. I don't think it's unrealistic to think that we might win the big ten West 1 to 2 times in the next ten years and given 2 chances to win a Big Ten championship might squeak out a victory in one putting us almost automatically in the playoffs. That isn't that far fetched.

Northwestern 1995, if that's possible, than it can happen here. For the soccer fans on this board Leicester City just won the BPL, heir preseason odds were the same as the likelihood that Elvis is still alive

Northwestern 1995, if that's possible, than it can happen here. For the soccer fans on this board Leicester City just won the BPL, heir preseason odds were the same as the likelihood that Elvis is still alive and rooming with Adolf and Ghandi

understating the odds

Northwestern 1995, if that's possible, than it can happen here. For the soccer fans on this board Leicester City just won the BPL, heir preseason odds were the same as the likelihood that Elvis is still alive

They haven't won it yet. They are 8 points clear with 3 games to play. Tottenham plays tomorrow.

I think plenty of people thought we would be better than Iowa last year in the preseason, IA ended up one win away from the college playoffs. I don't think it's unrealistic to think that we might win the big ten West 1 to 2 times in the next ten years and given 2 chances to win a Big Ten championship might squeak out a victory in one putting us almost automatically in the playoffs. That isn't that far fetched.

Iowa was inches away from a playoff but .... I think we also discovered they were miles from being a playoff level team too. A bit if ying and yang there.

Iowa was inches away from a playoff but .... I think we also discovered they were miles from being a playoff level team too. A bit if ying and yang there.

Yup. Given Iowa’s performance at the Rose Bowl, I thought it was very poetic seeing that that cow milling around at half-time.

Top Bottom