All Things Jericho Sims 2017 Thread - UPDATED: Sims Commits to Texas

Mckinley Westbrook?? good lord he boards more than the bigs

stats and such

Probably better expressed as "Sims is putting up as good of numbers as Mar". Going back to the person who questioned Sims as a high division 1 prospect. I will also say Mar projects more as a 3 in college, while Sims has the size to play the 4 also.

Mar shooting 35% FG to Sims 53%, I don't think it lists minutes per game.

I am actually the most impressed by Hurt's stats on a team with upperclassmen with very high offers. The kid must be talented!

Thanks.

March- How are those numbers much better than Mar's?

per Shama:

It will be interesting to see how many Minnesota prep basketball players still interest Tubby Smith now that he has left Texas Tech and is the new head coach at Memphis. Among Minnesota prospects in the class of 2017 is power forward Jericho Sims from Jesuit Rey High School in Minneapolis. Sims’ college offers include Tech and Minnesota. Sims is the son of former Gopher basketball player Charles Sims.

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

HP vs D1

Would Howard Pulley and D1 Minnesota ever play each other? Which team is better?

Personally, the backcourt for Pulley looks better to me, and the frontcourt for D1 looks better then Pulley's. I would give HP the advantage as guards are really the difference makers.

Would Howard Pulley and D1 Minnesota ever play each other? Which team is better?

I'd bet on D1MN. Would be a fun game to watch (assuming they played hard and didn't treat it like another crappy all-star game).

Howard Pulley would win... Dude they're 7-1 against EYBL competition.

Pulley is actually 7-0 (but I'd say they've had a relatively "soft" schedule up to this point) and D1MN is 7-1 with some wins again quality Adidas teams (only loss to arguably Adidas' best team, Eric Gordon All Stars in OT). With that being said these teams are pretty even as Pulley has more high level talent, but D1 is deeper with everyone on the team having at least one Division 1 offer. Slight edge to D1. Would love to see them play.

Jericho was offered by Memphis tonight. They just keep rolling in.

PiPress: Jericho Sims, ex-Gopher's son, is Minnesota's fastest rising hoops star

But that has changed during the spring AAU season, and he now has more than a dozen high-major offers, including recently from Minnesota, Xavier, Texas and Florida.

The offer from Gophers coach Richard Pitino was meaningful because Sims’ father, Charles, played basketball at the U from 1971-75, alongside the likes of Jim Brewer, Mychal Thompson and Flip Saunders.

“It’s great,” said Sims, who joined D1 Minnesota AAU teammates Nate Reuvers and McKinley Wright with Gopher offers. “A lot of people know my last name has a history of being at the U.”

The elder Sims, a retired dentist most people call “Doc,” said Johnson talks to him a lot about continuing their family’s legacy at Minnesota. Jericho said, “I think it would be a good chance to build a legacy there.”

“I didn’t put pressure on any of the kids,” Sims’ father said about playing at his alma mater. “(The Gophers are) going through some problems right now, but they will get better. Ben Johnson is the one I talk to most of the time. Ben and I go back a long ways. I talk to Ben about (playing there), but it’s up to Jericho what he wants to do.”

http://www.twincities.com/2016/05/0...-is-fastest-rising-hoops-player-in-minnesota/

Go Gophers!!

Sims visiting today:

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

What position is Sims going to play in college? If he bulks up could he play some 5? Or is he more of a 3 or 4? There isn't a lot of video on him and lately I've been seeing him referred to as a "big man" more and more. I initially thought he was more of an athletic wing.

Sims.

I believe him to be around 6-9 210lbs with good length and above average athleticism. I am guessing he could be 220 by the time of his freshmen college season. So he would be a slight pf, and no way a center in an ideal world. He also posses a lot of perimeter skills, including ball handling and outside shooting that would enable him to play the sf spot. John is a more natural pf, who could play some 5 if asked. I believe Sims has a higher ceiling in that if he develops he could get some NBA looks as a big SF. In the physical big ten, John is probably more of a need. If we were in a less physical conference I would pick Sims.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2mGAGMs5hA
Cristo Rey vs Brooklyn Center, Cristo isn't good doesn't play hard and loses bad. But you can see why colleges are impressed with Sims.

What position is Sims going to play in college? If he bulks up could he play some 5? Or is he more of a 3 or 4? There isn't a lot of video on him and lately I've been seeing him referred to as a "big man" more and more. I initially thought he was more of an athletic wing.

The couple of times I've seen Sims I think he could be a match up nightmare by the time he's an upperclassmen, not that he couldn't help the team as a freshman or sophomore, we should have enough program depth where he can come off the bench those years. If he can get to that 230-235 lbs range, he'll be tough to contain, if he was already there, he'd be a 5 star.

per Sid:

And the word is that the Gophers decided not to go hard on recruiting Lakeville North star Nathan Reuvers, who committed to Wisconsin, because they are concentrating on signing Jericho Sims, a 2017 recruit from Cristo Rey Jesuit High School in Minneapolis, who they believe has better potential. Sims’ father Charles Sims was one of the best basketball players for the Gophers from 1971 to ’75.

http://www.startribune.com/vikings-fans-are-lucky-that-the-team-still-is-here/383205701/

Go Gophers!!

I'd say he's probably best slotted to be a 4 although he's athletic enough to play other positions, especially defensively. Just for comparison purposes, I'd say he's similar to Jordan Murphy, although not on that level yet. Seems to stand out mainly on athleticism; definitely has other tools as well and can shoot from the outside, but you'd still prefer him to play around the basket.

<iframe src="http://content.jwplatform.com/players/ZLiWYWft-X5hJVYpo.html" width="720" height="406" frameborder="0" scrolling="auto"></iframe>

Interesting. It looks like he shoots left-handed but prefers finishing at the rim with his right.

He looks very athletic. Will need to hit the weight room.

per TigerNet.com:

Clemson Basketball has offered 4-star 2017 center Jericho Sims from Minneapolis, MN (Cristo Rey Jesuit) on Wednesday according to multiple reports.

Sims has national offers from Auburn, Dayton, Florida, Iowa State, Kansas State, Memphis, Miami (OH), Minnesota, Nebraska, Nevada, Sam Houston State, Texas, Texas Tech, UNLV, Virginia Tech, and Xavier. Other schools with heavy interest include Arizona, Duke, Iowa and Marquette.

In 2015, he averaged 22.1 points, 11.1 rebounds and 1.5 blocks per game.

He will be taking an unofficial visit to Kansas State on Thursday.

Three of his older brothers are playing Division I sports at Kansas, Minnesota, and Northern Illinois respectively. His father played for the Minnesota Gophers from 1971-1975.

http://www.tigernet.com/update/recruiting/Clemson-offers-4-star-2017-23423

Go Gophers!!

per TigerNet.com:

Clemson Basketball has offered 4-star 2017 center Jericho Sims from Minneapolis, MN (Cristo Rey Jesuit) on Wednesday according to multiple reports.

Sims has national offers from Auburn, Dayton, Florida, Iowa State, Kansas State, Memphis, Miami (OH), Minnesota, Nebraska, Nevada, Sam Houston State, Texas, Texas Tech, UNLV, Virginia Tech, and Xavier. Other schools with heavy interest include Arizona, Duke, Iowa and Marquette.

In 2015, he averaged 22.1 points, 11.1 rebounds and 1.5 blocks per game.

He will be taking an unofficial visit to Kansas State on Thursday.

Three of his older brothers are playing Division I sports at Kansas, Minnesota, and Northern Illinois respectively. His father played for the Minnesota Gophers from 1971-1975.

http://www.tigernet.com/update/recruiting/Clemson-offers-4-star-2017-23423

Go Gophers!!
His brother played football here ten years ago

Go Gophers!!

He looks very athletic. Will need to hit the weight room.

He does not lift at this point in time and doesn't plan to until college. I'm all but sure that's going to change once he's committed to a program and coaches get in his ear about working out, but he's not a fan of lifting to say the least. He just wants to play basketball.

Go Gophers!!

check out this vertical

How does Sims do most of his damage offensively? Is he active on the glass? Is he mostly a guy who catches and scores on the post? Is he a slasher? What's he do?

I see pictures showing how high he can jump...I'm all for a great highlight reel jam sesh but what does he do well?

Top Bottom