All Things Jericho Sims 2017 Thread - UPDATED: Sims Commits to Texas

More importantly, can he score outside a dunk (which neither of those guys could do).

If he can average double digit scoring off of nothing but dunks like Rodney and Trevor supposedly did, I'd take it.

Screen Shot 2016-04-19 at 2.07.25 AM.jpg

Did nobody actually watch the very first video he posted? His heel is touching the free throw line...

Sorry to much of a purist to watch for dunks. I am way impressed when I see a legit 6-9 guy with athleticism and small forward skills.

Is that hoop 10 feet?

I really don't wanna have this conversation but if we are slo moing this video and looking at each frame and making a judgement on whether or not he is or is not rodney I wanna know and I want some analysis. Break out the slide rules.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

During the game I have posted, the commentators said they have graduated everyone in the 8 years it has been open!

Christo Rey schools are in several urban areas all over the country and designed by the Jesuits to serve very underprivileged and mostly minority students. The system works with a lot of cooperation from local businesses who invite students to work one full day a week to contribute to the tuition and gain workplace skills. Very high academic standards. I've never heard of them producing D-1 athletes before. The system differs from most of their other high schools that have a high percentage of upper middle class students and smaller portion of scholarship poorer students. Christo Rey's are designed from the ground up to educate the urban poor. My guess is the Sims have a serious commitment to that type of education to have their son there. It is certainly no jock factory.

Ha, ok. Does he melt steel beams with lasers from his eyes as well?

It's not possible to melt steel beams with lasers from your eyes, but I'm sure you already knew that.

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="ilv6mdt"><a href="//imgur.com/ilv6mdt">MRW someone says &quot;That&#039;s impossible&quot;</a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

He can get up.

Wow, I honestly can't believe this. Shocked that Iowa State and Xavier would offer him. But the rest of his list is comprised of perpetually struggling basketball programs so maybe that makes sense.

I watched my alma mater (small christian high school in the suburbs) absolutely crush cristo rey twice last year. Sims was not impressive. Sure, he's tall and quite athletic, but he seemed uninterested pretty much the whole game, slept on defense, and didn't play hard. Pretty much the opposite of Joey King actually. Picture this: he closes out lazily, guy on the wing goes around him, so he commits a stupid foul as the guy goes by. That's his third foul, so he has to come out of the game. He walks off the court pouting. That's what I observed in two games watching him.

Rodney in high school was also raw, but in a different stratosphere than Jericho Sims. Sims plays for D1 Minnesota at least, but at Cristo Rey he is playing against terrible competition. Rodney was playing against Wayzata and Hopkins. It's easy to stand out when you're beating West Lutheran, Math and Science Academy and St. Paul college preparatory school.

I highly doubt if teams are on the fence in deciding to offer him a high-major basketball scholarship or not, they are taking his performances against the Math and Science Academy too seriously.

This is the importance of the AAU season. for a guy like Sims, its a massive audition and even more important than for kids like Mckinley, John, Trent etc. He has to stand out in AAU ball because nobody cares about his High School competition. They can't. He probably doesn't even care that much, as you said. He probably gets bored with it.

Wow, I honestly can't believe this. Shocked that Iowa State and Xavier would offer him. But the rest of his list is comprised of perpetually struggling basketball programs so maybe that makes sense.

I watched my alma mater (small christian high school in the suburbs) absolutely crush cristo rey twice last year. Sims was not impressive. Sure, he's tall and quite athletic, but he seemed uninterested pretty much the whole game, slept on defense, and didn't play hard. Pretty much the opposite of Joey King actually. Picture this: he closes out lazily, guy on the wing goes around him, so he commits a stupid foul as the guy goes by. That's his third foul, so he has to come out of the game. He walks off the court pouting. That's what I observed in two games watching him.

Rodney in high school was also raw, but in a different stratosphere than Jericho Sims. Sims plays for D1 Minnesota at least, but at Cristo Rey he is playing against terrible competition. Rodney was playing against Wayzata and Hopkins. It's easy to stand out when you're beating West Lutheran, Math and Science Academy and St. Paul college preparatory school.

This^. The video reminds me of a different version of Buggs (who I like but is immensely frustrating to watch). However, Sims is young he has the ability, the question is whether he can develop a full game and play a lot harder than is seen here. Time will tell.

I highly doubt if teams are on the fence in deciding to offer him a high-major basketball scholarship or not, they are taking his performances against the Math and Science Academy too seriously.

This is the importance of the AAU season. for a guy like Sims, its a massive audition and even more important than for kids like Mckinley, John, Trent etc. He has to stand out in AAU ball because nobody cares about his High School competition. They can't. He probably doesn't even care that much, as you said. He probably gets bored with it.

You're right, he probably doesn't care. But to me, if I were Rich Pitino, that is a problem. We want guys who are inherently competitive, will play hard the whole game and not give up or take opportunities for granted. (See Ralph Sampson)

You should not get bored playing in a pick up game at the Y, much less a varsity high school section semifinal game. I bet the other Cristo Rey players care if he tries. Most of them made Sims look like he was asleep, of course they are not 6'9 and not talented but they at least played hard.

You're right, he probably doesn't care. But to me, if I were Rich Pitino, that is a problem. We want guys who are inherently competitive, will play hard the whole game and not give up or take opportunities for granted. (See Ralph Sampson)

You should not get bored playing in a pick up game at the Y, much less a varsity high school section semifinal game. I bet the other Cristo Rey players care if he tries. Most of them made Sims look like he was asleep, of course they are not 6'9 and not talented but they at least played hard.

Only one word to describe these series of statements. Ignorant. Not an attack, just simply uneducated from my standpoint.
Gotta look at it from the big picture. 6'9, tons of athleticism (alot more than Buggs), exponentially better ball-handler, better mid-range game, and so so so much room to grow.

Sims

He also is at least 210lbs as a jr in high school, was bugs even 190 at that point? You wonder if transferring to a basketball school would be a smart decision. I watched the game against Brooklyn center. His team got killed and it didn't seem to bother anyone, save this 6-5 kid Gregory who played his butt off. Their guards are pretty bad. He might have the best handle for a Minnesota big this side of Coffey.

Only one word to describe these series of statements. Ignorant. Not an attack, just simply uneducated from my standpoint.
Gotta look at it from the big picture. 6'9, tons of athleticism (alot more than Buggs), exponentially better ball-handler, better mid-range game, and so so so much room to grow.

I kind of got the same impression from watching the tape. He didn't seem very interested and did do a lot of standing around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He is putting up pretty good numbers on a 7-1 stacked D1 team. His numbers are much better than Mar's. Mckinnley Wright and Matthew Hurt are leading the team. Hurt is rebounding quite a bit better than Reuvers. Not sure on minutes played.

He is putting up pretty good numbers on a 7-1 stacked D1 team. His numbers are much better than Mar's. Mckinnley Wright and Matthew Hurt are leading the team. Hurt is rebounding quite a bit better than Reuvers. Not sure on minutes played.

What kind of numbers is Sims, Hurt, etc. putting up? Or where did you find them? I didn't see any stats on the D1 MN webpage.

Top Bottom