All Things Jericho Sims 2017 Thread - UPDATED: Sims Commits to Texas

If feels like Sims is the Prince of high school basketball recruits, marches to his own drum and tough to read. In my opinion I think the program values Sims and John equally, so I think they'll take the first one that's willing to commit. I think John could help more next year as he seems like more a banger and could probably take the back up minutes at the five spot. Although seems like Sims has a higher ceiling. Be nice to grab both, but we really need a guard in this class and Pitino hasen't been willing to oversign yet and I can't think of a coach who did except for Tubby, but the two guys who left in 09 were either initially walkons or in their 5th year.

+1

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Definitely the one I wanted most from this class. Good luck to the kid. Now gotta get Theo and Wright

Has MN become the fall back for MN basketball players? Huge pressure to have a good season now.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Everyone has their own means of processing information to make a decision in their lives, but I don't understand how kids can make a huge decision like this without also seeing the alternatives. Sure, he loved Texas, but what's he comparing it against? Wouldn't you be interested to see what Kansas (or others) offered for basketball and academics? Texas' offer wasn't going anywhere, but obviously Shaka put on the heavy sell to not let him leave Austin without a verbal. Committing after your only official visit is like marrying the first girl who kissed you as a 17-year-old.

Everyone has their own means of processing information to make a decision in their lives, but I don't understand how kids can make a huge decision like this without also seeing the alternatives. Sure, he loved Texas, but what's he comparing it against? Wouldn't you be interested to see what Kansas (or others) offered for basketball and academics? Texas' offer wasn't going anywhere, but obviously Shaka put on the heavy sell to not let him leave Austin without a verbal. Committing after your only official visit is like marrying the first girl who kissed you as a 17-year-old.

^ This.

We'll see if it sticks.

I love the U, but what's not to like about UT, especially them having a coach who knows how to get to the Final Four? In some of these cases I can blame the kid for making a questionable decision for their own good, but not with this one.

Either he got a duffle bag of cash that had a experation date on it.

OR

He really likes Texas.

I applaud the decisiveness and desire to end the process. Good for Sims, and I wouldn't blame him.

I too love the U's basketball team, but I am still in shock over last year.

Today's good news bad news for Gopher hoops: We lost out on the most important recruit for 2017 with Sims verbal to Texas, but tickets for the Gopher St Johns and Arkansas games are $10.00 per tweet from Coach P. It's too bad that as a season ticket holder I paid 4 times that and I also had to buy Bemidji State and all the other horrendous pre big ten games.

FFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU*******************####################

Damnit. I really wanted him here.

Depressing. Gotta get John.If we don't get John i would just go hard at our remaininv guard targets

Depressing. Gotta get John.If we don't get John i would just go hard at our remaininv guard targets

Don't forget about this kid. With Bakary and Reggie both Seniors in 2017, we could use a center to get some experience as a Freshman. John can definitely play Center, but if we miss out on him I'd take a look at Epperson.

Ufdah what a crappy day. First heard about Teddy going down for season. Then saw Sims to Texas. Not a good day.

This sucks. You lose a guy a legacy recruit who, in my opinion, has the highest ceiling of anyone outside of Trent in the '17 class. This falls squarely on Pitino, but I am not sure how much of it falls on his recruiting. How do you turn down Shaka (or Kansas or possibly UNC) to stay home to play for a coach who is 50/50 (less?) to actually still be employed when you get to campus? Pitino put a lot of eggs in to the Fitzgerald/Lynch basket last off season. Those guys need to be impact players to justify the transfer year. While the past season was going on, we heard both of these guys mentioned as "pros", but I've noticed the praise fading with Fitzgerald as it gets closer to him actually playing and we don't know for sure if Lynch will even see the floor.

We have another huge legacy recruit in Race Thompson in the next recruiting cycle and we better have a coach in place who will land him. I still hope that's Richard Pitino.

Good thing teddy got hurt so the press won't care. Hoofully when they get,around to it we will land the champlin duo

wouldn't he have more competition for playing time (at small forward) at Minn than TX? Shaka seems to be a bit short on wings. Newsome will be a Sr next year, and that's it other than Sims I think

I thought Sims was a more of a four, but I guess with his athletic ability he could play the wing. Here he would've competed with Murphy and Curry and Fitz for a season. John's better a fit because he can play center and PF. Were a little thin at Center to say the least, but Sims would've been a great get. Hopefully we land Theo John and one of out top PG targets that would still be a very good class

wouldn't he have more competition for playing time (at small forward) at Minn than TX? Shaka seems to be a bit short on wings. Newsome will be a Sr next year, and that's it other than Sims I think

Sims isn't a small forward. He could probably guard some perimeter guys, but on the offensive side of the ball, he doesn't have the skilkset of a wing player. It would be a waste of his length and athleticism to not have him close to the basket.

Sims isn't a small forward. He could probably guard some perimeter guys, but on the offensive side of the ball, he doesn't have the skilkset of a wing player. It would be a waste of his length and athleticism to not have him close to the basket.

then Shaka might have as many as 3 PFs in this class, if he gets PJ

I disagree. I think Sims will play lots of PF but also SF-especially if he plays 4 years. He is definitely a combo forward. He was bringing the ball up and passing with guard skills in the game I saw.

I disagree. I think Sims will play lots of PF but also SF-especially if he plays 4 years. He is definitely a combo forward. He was bringing the ball up and passing with guard skills in the game I saw.

Look at the competition he faces in high school. It'll be an adjustment for Jericho is freshman year, but I think when it's all said and done he could have a very good career at Texas

per Shama:

A former Big Ten assistant coach who has followed Minnesota high school basketball for decades didn’t want his name in print but told Sports Headliners Jericho Sims is the best prep player from the state he’s ever seen including Kevin McHale and Tyus Jones. The 6-8 Sims is a senior at Cristo Rey Jesuit High School in Minneapolis and the son of former Gopher Charles Sims. Sims has signed to play next fall for Texas and head coach Shaka Smart. The ex-Big Ten coach said Sims will be an immediate force in the Big 12, predicting he will play power forward in college while praising his varied offensive skills and his physique. “He’s built like a marble statue,” the source said.

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

per Shama:

A former Big Ten assistant coach who has followed Minnesota high school basketball for decades didn’t want his name in print but told Sports Headliners Jericho Sims is the best prep player from the state he’s ever seen including Kevin McHale and Tyus Jones. The 6-8 Sims is a senior at Cristo Rey Jesuit High School in Minneapolis and the son of former Gopher Charles Sims. Sims has signed to play next fall for Texas and head coach Shaka Smart. The ex-Big Ten coach said Sims will be an immediate force in the Big 12, predicting he will play power forward in college while praising his varied offensive skills and his physique. “He’s built like a marble statue,” the source said.

Go Gophers!!

That's very bold. He might end up a better NBA prospect than Tyus was but there's no way he's a better high school player.

per Shama:

Go Gophers!!

Why does Shama need to keep a source confidential regarding a talent evaluation?

What a joke.

Yeah that whole thing seems a little goofy. Is his "source" worried about backlash from people who think Jones or McHale are better? People romanticize both of those players for decent reason but if you think the kid's got a chance to be better, its a free country and there have been much hotter takes.

With that said, unless he was so dominant on the AAU circuit that you can make that claim I don't know how people can arrive at that opinion watching him play high school basketball. Cristo Rey plays a decent schedule but as a 1A school he's playing against an awful lot of small-school teams that simply have no shot at matching up with him.

I bet Shama made it up, or at least exaggerated some opinions he's heard.

Then he never saw Mark Olberding. There are 50 kids that looked better in high school than sims. That is not to say that he can not become a great college player. But for someone to say the best high school player ever !

Pat Foschi looked great in High School too!

Top Bottom