All Things Jericho Sims 2017 Thread - UPDATED: Sims Commits to Texas

GameDay

Reaction score
Figured it's time to start one for the 6'9 SF/PF out of Christo Rey HS and D1 Minnesota.

Minnesota, Iowa State, Xavier, K-State offers all in one day, impressing scouts everywhere, a hot name on the Adidas circuit this weekend. He's impressed recruiting analysts, and seems like a good bet to break into the top 150 in the new recruiting rankings when they come out. He's going to keep gaining steam and he'll continue to add very impressive offers from very good programs, so hopefully it helps that he's in the University of Minnesota's own back yard. Said to be described as a combo of Rodney and Trevor Mbakwe with more length... which I'm sure all Gopher fans would take. Sounds like he's improving a lot too, so hopefully a high ceiling guy! On that note...

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I have to admit, I never heard of Cristo Rey Jesuit HS in South Minneapolis. Apparently, neither has 247 or Scout as they think he is from Cristo Rey in Chicago. It doesn't get more under the radar than that.

Jericho Sims brother Dominique played football, father Charles played hoops both at Minnesota so there is a legacy. Man has a good chance

Per Ryan James

(Apologize I haven't figured out how to post tweets like others)

I remember Dominique. Never heard of Christo Rey in MN. Sounds like a California school.

Jericho Sims brother Dominique played football, father Charles played hoops both at Minnesota so there is a legacy. Man has a good chance

Per Ryan James

Click on the three dots under the tweet. Click on embed tweet. Copy/paste text into GH post. Click Post Reply.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Honestly, I think his ceiling is higher than Theo John and would rather we get a commitment from him to fill the need at PF. No doubt the blue bloods will be watching him throughout the summer. Was on Duke's radar towards the end of last summer. Going to be very interesting to see who we get from either John, Reuvers, or Sims.

Honestly, I think his ceiling is higher than Theo John and would rather we get a commitment from him to fill the need at PF. No doubt the blue bloods will be watching him throughout the summer. Was on Duke's radar towards the end of last summer. Going to be very interesting to see who we get from either John, Reuvers, or Sims.

I also think some of our new offers are maybe for a reason. Not that Theo wouldn't be a nice get, but he's also a 6'9, 210 lb true center, which even with his wingspan is still very undersized for a B1G center, and also hasn't shown much of development in the past 12-18 months. Not particularly skilled either. That's why I think these new offers are coming in to bigs like Sims and Reuvers, because it gives us a safety net and increases the chances that we get a commitment from a solid frontcourt player in the class, also because these are two guys that potentially have higher upside than Theo does at the same time. That being said, I would still be very happy if the Gophers were able to reel in TJ. Great fit system-wise, good length and rim protection, fine rebounder.

Ha, ok. Does he melt steel beams with lasers from his eyes as well?

a combo of rodney and trevor is all fine and dandy, but if he doesn't also shoo like hoffarber and pass like ariel mcdonald, i'm just lukewarm :eek:

I think I'd rather he shot like Trent Tucker and passed like Flip.

Ha, ok. Does he melt steel beams with lasers from his eyes as well?

Haha yeah, nothing against GameDay because it doesn't sound like he is personally the one making the comparison, but I hate when people see someone who can dunk and are just like "Wow, he's as athletic as Rodney!". I'm sure he's a great athlete, but highly doubt he's at Rodney's level in that regard. Very, very few people are.

Haha yeah, nothing against GameDay because it doesn't sound like he is personally the one making the comparison, but I hate when people see someone who can dunk and are just like "Wow, he's as athletic as Rodney!". I'm sure he's a great athlete, but highly doubt he's at Rodney's level in that regard. Very, very few people are.

Just going off what I've seen from reporters/analysts. Anyway, it sounds like he IS at Rodney's level as far as athleticism goes, plus has 2 inches on him. RJ said this morning that we're talking about a guy way under the radar until now who is extremely raw basketball-wise, but if he continues to make strides and puts it all together, we're talking an elite, top national recruit, and eventually NBA. Not my words, but coming from a hoops guru as RJ is, that's exciting as h***

I was aiming more at the Mbakwe comparisons being ridiculous given that Mbakwe was our best player in at least the last 10-12 years, but you have an equally great point as well.

Per Ryan James

Believe Dominique was a De La Salle kid, surprised Jericho didn't go there

Sims WOW lots of potential.

At the 1:10 mark in this game he makes a face up drive going left from the 3, stops at the free throw line, pivots, and makes a nice floater, with his weak hand. I have never seen Rodney do this.

Very coordinated 6-9 combo forward. Doesn't do much on defense currently, but has a very high ceiling for offense. I think a more athletic Dan Coleman is a better comparison. I can see why they say he has "NBA potential". If by saying that you mean every year there are 50 high schooler's with nba potential and how hard they work and improve will determine which 25 make it. Has small forward skills.

At 1:14 has some nice dribbling. 1:24 puts it on the floor very nicely again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2mGAGMs5hA

Just going off what I've seen from reporters/analysts. Anyway, it sounds like he IS at Rodney's level as far as athleticism goes, plus has 2 inches on him. RJ said this morning that we're talking about a guy way under the radar until now who is extremely raw basketball-wise, but if he continues to make strides and puts it all together, we're talking an elite, top national recruit, and eventually NBA. Not my words, but coming from a hoops guru as RJ is, that's exciting as h***

I was aiming more at the Mbakwe comparisons being ridiculous given that Mbakwe was our best player in at least the last 10-12 years, but you have an equally great point as well.

Absolutely, I think the comparison was directly to Mbakwe's explosiveness off the bounce more than anything else.

I remember Dominique. Never heard of Christo Rey in MN. Sounds like a California school.

Christo Rey schools are in several urban areas all over the country and designed by the Jesuits to serve very underprivileged and mostly minority students. The system works with a lot of cooperation from local businesses who invite students to work one full day a week to contribute to the tuition and gain workplace skills. Very high academic standards. I've never heard of them producing D-1 athletes before. The system differs from most of their other high schools that have a high percentage of upper middle class students and smaller portion of scholarship poorer students. Christo Rey's are designed from the ground up to educate the urban poor. My guess is the Sims have a serious commitment to that type of education to have their son there. It is certainly no jock factory.

wow 29:44 super nice drive left to elbow pull up swish. His guards are getting killed so he plays outside a lot. He plays like a 6-6 sf. I'd rather have him than Theo. They'd be a tremendous duo as Sims doesn't play with fire especially on defense.

Cristo Rey is located near Lake and 4th just across the Greenway from the Wells Fargo Home Mortgage campus. Walked by many times on my way to lunch on Lake St. Very nice school. Lots of corporate logos of what I assume are sponsors. Very high academic standards.

IF that's true then that is extremely exciting, but forgive me for being skeptical. I believe Rodney has like the 13th highest vertical in NBA combine history. It's not impossible for Sims to be at that level, but I'm highly skeptical.

Yeah I just focused on the Rodney one because I've heard so many people compare players' athleticism to his when they aren't even close. A lot of people see a guy do a simple dunk in person and are just blown away by it and have no idea what elite athleticism actually looks like in person. The Mbakwe comparison may be just as if not more ridiculous, but I've never seen the guy play so I really have no idea.

IF that's true then that is extremely exciting, but forgive me for being skeptical. I believe Rodney has like the 13th highest vertical in NBA combine history. It's not impossible for Sims to be at that level, but I'm highly skeptical.

I thought Mbakwe's vertical was better then Rodney's

Just picked up an offer from Illinois. For those keeping track, that's his 5th HM offer in 36 hours. Here's his HM offer list as of now...

Auburn, Dayton, Minnesota, UNLV, Illinois, Iowa State, Virginia Tech, Xavier, Kansas State, Nebraska, Texas Tech

At the 1:10 mark in this game he makes a face up drive going left from the 3, stops at the free throw line, pivots, and makes a nice floater, with his weak hand. I have never seen Rodney do this.

Very coordinated 6-9 combo forward. Doesn't do much on defense currently, but has a very high ceiling for offense. I think a more athletic Dan Coleman is a better comparison. I can see why they say he has "NBA potential". If by saying that you mean every year there are 50 high schooler's with nba potential and how hard they work and improve will determine which 25 make it. Has small forward skills.

At 1:14 has some nice dribbling. 1:24 puts it on the floor very nicely again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2mGAGMs5hA

How much of that game did you watch? Any nice dunks in there that are worth watching for?

Top Bottom