All Things Jericho Sims 2017 Thread - UPDATED: Sims Commits to Texas

Wow.. Sims must be having a good summer. Nice offer / hopefully not tempting

I wonder if Sims will end up being the top/2nd best prospect in the state for 2017 (depending on whether or not you consider Trent a Minnesota kid).

I wonder if Sims will end up being the top/2nd best prospect in the state for 2017 (depending on whether or not you consider Trent a Minnesota kid).

Although he has quiet demeanor, he really plays with a chip on his shoulder. Already has NBA level athleticism. Just needs to hit the weights and continue developing all aspects of his game, but the sky is the limit. Not many in the country can match his combination of size and athleticism.

Although he has quiet demeanor, he really plays with a chip on his shoulder. Already has NBA level athleticism. Just needs to hit the weights and continue developing all aspects of his game, but the sky is the limit. Not many in the country can match his combination of size and athleticism.

I was at D1's game on Sunday. He has an odd looking shot, and I don't think I saw him take a jumper in the game, but he confidently hit both his FTAs and also made a couple of mid-range shots in warmup. Shot seems to be more effective than it would first appear.

He's certainly a fantastic athlete. Overall it was tough to gauge much given D1 was playing their own 16U team and the 17U team that Sims is on is completely stacked. Wright, Reuvers, and Mar are the only guys who created their own shots. Hurt and Sims played more of a role of finishing in transition, rebounding, and put-backs.

I felt sorry for Jericho watching this interview and knowing that he also is dealing with dozens of schools contacting him all the time. He certainly comes off as a quiet kid who'd rather not have the attention.

It looks like a good interview. I like the smile he had when he was asked about the Minnesota coaches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

per Marcus:

Sims, a 6-foot-9 forward from Cristo Rey Jesuit, is working on scheduling Texas and Minnesota visits later this month. There was also buzz Friday about Sims receiving heavier interest from North Carolina, which first made contact with him last month after he shined in Las Vegas.

The Tar Heels haven't offered Sims a scholarship. And there aren't any plans to visit yet. So it still seems the biggest threat to Minnesota landing Sims is Texas. He talked this week about why the Longhorns are one of the schools he's strongly considering.

"I think they're a very good program," Sims said. "We saw what coach (Shaka) Smart did at VCU. And I just like the vibe that coach gives off. A lot of people say the same thing about Coach Smart and that coaching staff at Texas."

Sims also appreciated Gophers coach Richard Pitino and his assistants being visible at most of his AAU games with D1 Minnesota.

"I saw them every game," Sims said. "I'm not going to miss them. I know who they are. They come to my games. They hit me up on the phone. It just shows how interested they are."

http://www.startribune.com/top-loca...ll-targets-setting-official-visits/389326101/

Go Gophers!!

per Marcus:

Sims, a 6-foot-9 forward from Cristo Rey Jesuit, is working on scheduling Texas and Minnesota visits later this month. There was also buzz Friday about Sims receiving heavier interest from North Carolina, which first made contact with him last month after he shined in Las Vegas.

The Tar Heels haven't offered Sims a scholarship. And there aren't any plans to visit yet. So it still seems the biggest threat to Minnesota landing Sims is Texas. He talked this week about why the Longhorns are one of the schools he's strongly considering.

"I think they're a very good program," Sims said. "We saw what coach (Shaka) Smart did at VCU. And I just like the vibe that coach gives off. A lot of people say the same thing about Coach Smart and that coaching staff at Texas."

Sims also appreciated Gophers coach Richard Pitino and his assistants being visible at most of his AAU games with D1 Minnesota.

"I saw them every game," Sims said. "I'm not going to miss them. I know who they are. They come to my games. They hit me up on the phone. It just shows how interested they are."

http://www.startribune.com/top-loca...ll-targets-setting-official-visits/389326101/

Go Gophers!!

Let's see, Pitino or Shaka...I'm guessing Texas. Here's to hoping I'm wrong.

Coffey had the same choice. It seems like a few different recruits have mentioned that they really like our coaching staff as people, that they're easy to talk to and get along with, and that they're straight forward and honest.

Ryan James recently said he's not as confident about Sims as he once was, because of this UNC interest and some speculation that Sims is intrigued with the idea of getting away from home.

Since Pitino wants to play a similar style as Shaka, I think we will have a lot of common offers as the years progress.

per Marcus:

If the Gophers want senior Jericho Sims, they will now have to beat out at least one national championship contender.

Kansas offered a scholarship to the 6-9 Cristo Rey Jesuit forward on Monday, according to Sims' high school coach, Stan Clay.

Sims' stock sky rocketed up the Class of 2017 rankings after shining this summer for D1 Minnesota on the adidas AAU circuit. Minnesota coach Richard Pitino offered Sims in April before his recruiting really took off, but will that early effort be enough?

The Jayhawks started following Sims last year, but they saw enough during the open July evaluation period to make him a priority. North Carolina is showing increased interest. And the word is an offer from the Tar Heels could be coming soon.

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-...s-kansas-offer-north-carolina-next/390248901/

Go Gophers!!

Getting too much love

From ESPN:

Two of the more notable newcomers on the list are Marcus Garrett (No. 62) and Jericho Sims (No. 67). Garrett is an emerging big guard loaded with versatility who rode the wave of his big summer all the way to a commitment to Kansas. Sims is an athletic lefty up front whose ability to change ends, play up at the top of the box and use both hands around the rim has made him an increasing national priority.

In his latest Scoops Podcast, Doogie had this to say about Sims:

- No official date yet set for Gophers, could be September 1, September 10
- He will visit Texas
- The fact that Kansas offered and North Carolina may offer may hurt the Gophers chances, but the Gophers are still well positioned on the Jericho Sims front

http://www.1500espn.com/tag/the-scoop/

Go Gophers!!

per Marcus:

Theo John and Jericho Sims, two of the state of Minnesota's top senior post players and Gophers targets, will be out of town this week on their official visits.

John, a 6-foot-9, 230-pound center/forward at Champlin Park, will travel Friday to visit California-Berkeley. Sims, a 6-9, 225-pound forward from Cristo Rey Jesuit School, is visiting Texas this weekend.

Both players have said they would like to make a decision before the high school season begins this fall.

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-...sims-visit-cal-and-texas-this-week/391331651/

Go Gophers!!

per OrangeBloods:

Currently, the official visit to Texas is the only one Sims has planned. The Longhorns identified Sims early as a top target, and pursued him aggressively, which included having at least one coach at his July games. That seems to have really made a difference, at least right now, in Sims' recruitment compared to those that came on later. Sims’ father, Charles, played basketball at Minnesota, and he also has a brother that played football for the Golden Gophers as well. The chatter behind the scenes is that Minnesota and Texas are ahead of the pack right now. When asked if there was pressure on him to stay home and play for Minnesota, this is what Sims told Orangebloods.com late in July:

“I try not to put too much pressure on myself,” he responded when asked if there is a lot of push back home to go to Minnesota. “I don’t really think about that.”

Most would assume that Minnesota is probably out in front, but we’ve heard that the Longhorns could be in the best position currently. This weekend, they’ll have a chance to cement themselves as leaders, and will likely try to work towards an early commitment from Sims, who stated he’d like to decide before his high school season begins, which puts him on track to sign in the early period. Sims hasn't conducted many interviews about his recruitment, so it's tough to project if a decision soon is possible, or if more official visits are to come. However, he scheduled the Texas official visit over two weeks ago.

https://texas.rivals.com/news/longhorns-will-host-first-2017-official-visitor-this-weekend

Go Gophers!!

If feels like Sims is the Prince of high school basketball recruits, marches to his own drum and tough to read. In my opinion I think the program values Sims and John equally, so I think they'll take the first one that's willing to commit. I think John could help more next year as he seems like more a banger and could probably take the back up minutes at the five spot. Although seems like Sims has a higher ceiling. Be nice to grab both, but we really need a guard in this class and Pitino hasen't been willing to oversign yet and I can't think of a coach who did except for Tubby, but the two guys who left in 09 were either initially walkons or in their 5th year.

I know he's just a kid and it's his future and all, but I really wish they would've found a way to get Diedou to transfer out and have three scholarships for guys in the fall. The liklihood that a third schollie opens up in the spring is high, at which point, all these kids will be signed.

I know he's just a kid and it's his future and all, but I really wish they would've found a way to get Diedou to transfer out and have three scholarships for guys in the fall. The liklihood that a third schollie opens up in the spring is high, at which point, all these kids will be signed.

Also potential for early graduation that allows Pitino to jettison one or both of the International kids early without any backlash.

Also potential for early graduation that allows Pitino to jettison one or both of the International kids early without any backlash.

Diedhou still has 2.5 years of school left, he is midway through his Sophomore year.

All the local kids want to be signed up by September. There's no early graduation freeing up a scholarship that would, in theory, put all three guys in play here.

that's what I'm bummed about. I'm sure that third scholarship will open at some point but not in time to land the three guys we want right now.

Top Bottom