A Great Gopher Linebacker has Passed Away

DL65

Reaction score
During the first half-hour of today's Sports Huddle, Dave Mona announced the death of former Gopher linebacker Bill Light. Light's obituary is in today's Star-Tribune, he was 66. He succumbed to cancer. He is survived by his wife and (I believe) three children.

Bill Light, according to Dave Mona, still holds some records related to tackling (along with Peter Najarian). Bill played for the Gophers, 1969-71. His senior year he served as the team's captain, and he was selected to the Conference's first team defense. Light was a hard hitting linebacker with sure tackling abilities.

RIP Bill Light!

Go Gophers!!

Bill Light

During the first half-hour of today's Sports Huddle, Dave Mona announced the death of former Gopher linebacker Bill Light. Light's obituary is in today's Star-Tribune, he was 66. He succumbed to cancer. He is survived by his wife and (I believe) three children.

Bill Light, according to Dave Mona, still holds some records related to tackling (along with Peter Najarian). Bill played for the Gophers, 1969-71. His senior year he served as the team's captain, and he was selected to the Conference's first team defense. Light was a hard hitting linebacker with sure tackling abilities.

RIP Bill Light!

Go Gophers!!

I got to know Bill in 1968 in Territorial Hall (House 5, I believe) He was a true Gopher and loved life and the game of football. My sympathies to his family. Sorry to see him go.

A truly fine football player. Also drafted by the Buffalo Bills in 1971 although he didn't make their squad.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Sun Current: Billy Light’s legend will always live with us

Gopher Record

There were many facets to Billy’s life. While he was playing football at the University of Minnesota back in the early 1970s, he set a record for tackles in a single game that still stands today. Billy was credited with 32 tackles in the Gophers’ 14-14 tie with Iowa.

“My coach, Murray Warmath, threw compliments around like they were man-hole covers,” Billy recalled in 2014. All he said after the Iowa game was, ‘Hey, Billy was doing his job.’”

http://current.mnsun.com/2016/04/28/billy-lights-legend-will-always-live-with-us/

Go Gophers!!

I remember many a night at Captain Billy's Lighthouse. Rest in Peace Billy

Top Bottom