STrib: Gophers unveil new renderings of Mariucci Arena renovations

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Gonzalez:

Mariucci’s Arena’s locker room renovation broke ground this week. Though we highlighted the project a couple weeks ago, here is a glimpse of the new renderings unveiled Thursday.

The press release description:

The renovation project, funded entirely through private donations, will feature a complete overhaul of the locker room, equipment room and athletic training areas while adding a new team lounge and video room. The team area will nearly double in size upon completion, coming in at an estimated 11,683 square feet from the current area of 6,248 square feet.

Gophers interim athletic director Beth Goetz said “Mariucci Arena is a historic venue for college hockey, and our new team areas will really enhance that experience for our program and student-athletes. With Mortenson Construction sharing our vision for improving Gopher Athletics facilities, we know this project will be something our student-athletes, staff, fans, alumni and donors will certainly be proud to call home for years to come.”

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-unveil-new-renderings-of-mariucci-arena-renovations/375738321/

Go Gophers!!

How old should an arena be before it's call "historic?"
Much older than this one. This arena is much nicer for the fans (site lines, seat backs, open concourse) than the old Williams/Mariucci venue, but has only 10% of the feel. The old arena rocked like you wouldn't believe and was a very fun place to watch a game. I'm not sure what they did wrong in this arena as I love walking the concourse, and seeing the murals, but the life just isn't there.

Much older than this one. This arena is much nicer for the fans (site lines, seat backs, open concourse) than the old Williams/Mariucci venue, but has only 10% of the feel. The old arena rocked like you wouldn't believe and was a very fun place to watch a game. I'm not sure what they did wrong in this arena as I love walking the concourse, and seeing the murals, but the life just isn't there.

It might have something to do with the team. It sure rocked in 2002 and 2003.

And the name "Mariucci Arena" is what makes the venue historic. Eventually the "old" needs to be replaced in all cases.

Top Bottom