Streveler Transferring

Surprised we couldn't find a spot for him. We need to be able to convince guys like that to stick around.

Surprised we couldn't find a spot for him. We need to be able to convince guys like that to stick around.

Will be interesting to see what position he ends up playing at his new school. Does he switch back to QB at a lower level school or stick with WR. Maybe he ends playing RB.

You do realize even kids on the practice teams play vital roles in the success of the team on Saturday right? Did I just blow your mind?

Vital role on the practice team does not equal "talented" IMO. Two different things. Not saying he didn't try, I'm just saying he's not talented. Did I blow your mind?

Ya, let's turn this into another pissing contest. :banghead::banghead::banghead:

Vital role on the practice team does not equal "talented" IMO. Two different things. Not saying he didn't try, I'm just saying he's not talented. Did I blow your mind?

This is classic back-pedaling. Changing the narrative. You and I both know I was referring to the below "hot take" and nothing to do with talent.

I'd say anyone who has bought season tickets in the past year has contributed more to the success of the Gopher program than Streveler ever did.

We need to be able to convince guys like that to stick around.

Why? He played QB and completed 1 pass. He get beat out for the BACKUP job and moved to WR, one of our weakest positions. He caught 1 pass.

I'm pretty sure we can find other guys to "be good teammates" and "try hard in practice" and "goof around on the sidelines".

Why? He played QB and completed 1 pass. He get beat out for the BACKUP job and moved to WR, one of our weakest positions. He caught 1 pass.

I'm pretty sure we can find other guys to "be good teammates" and "try hard in practice" and "goof around on the sidelines".

He was still an ATHLETE, one of the fastest kids on the team apparently. He won a game for us on his legs alone did he not? I gotta believe we could have used him SOMEWHERE.

Will be interesting to see what position he ends up playing at his new school. Does he switch back to QB at a lower level school or stick with WR. Maybe he ends playing RB.

Yeah, it will be. Hope he does well.

Ok, let's change it up.

Forgetting the fact that he came in as a QB and that is his preferred position. What position do you think he would have had the best chance get significant playing time? LB?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok, let's change it up.

Forgetting the fact that he came in as a QB and that is his preferred position. What position do you think he would have had the best chance get significant playing time? LB?

Special teams coverage and safety in obvious run packages. Not sure why he didn't try out there, maybe he had trouble turning hips in coverage?

This is classic back-pedaling. Changing the narrative. You and I both know I was referring to the below "hot take" and nothing to do with talent.

Sorry, actually I didn't, but now that you mention it, it does make more sense. In that regard though, and I'm really not trying to knock on a nice guy who gave his all, but I think TC might think he can use PWOs for that and the scholly for someone who can regularly see the field.

Sorry, actually I didn't, but now that you mention it, it does make more sense. In that regard though, and I'm really not trying to knock on a nice guy who gave his all, but<b> I think TC might think he can use PWOs for that and the scholly for someone who can regularly see the field.</b>

Changing the narrative again. You said that folks buying tix helped this program more than CS5. That has nothing to do with talent or if a PWO could do the same. It is simply a ridiculous, highly erroneous statement.

Streveler's biggest problem is that he was born about 40 years too late.

Seriously, in the 1970's and 80's, when you had a lot of teams running option- and veer-based schemes with running QB's, he would have fit right in. I think he would be a dynamite QB in a wishbone or triple-option system - except there are very few teams that run that type of offense anymore (Georgia Tech, Air Force - anybody else?).

Unfortunately, the trend in college FB is for spread formations and QB's throwing 50 passes a game - and that is not Strev's strong point.

I still think the guy has got some athletic ability. For whatever reason, the Gopher coaches could not find a way to use that ability in the context of their offensive scheme. For that, I fault the coaches as much as Streveler.

Does Gopherhole have moderators?

Sorry but I get incensed when people take the time to bang on a kid for absolutely no valid reason. He's moving on to other opportunities and has done nothing deserving of our derision.

Sorry but I get incensed when people take the time to bang on a kid for absolutely no valid reason. He's moving on to other opportunities and has done nothing deserving of our derision.

He gave another example of my signature.

For that, I fault the coaches as much as Streveler.

I don't keep up with other teams, but it seems like we have had more than the average amount of transfers at the QB spot over the last few years. Nelson, McKinzy, Shortell, Streveler. Regardless of if they would have played significant minutes, this seems like an issue.
Hopefully with the new OC/QB coach we can start getting a bit more consistent with who and what type of QB we recruit.

I don't keep up with other teams, but it seems like we have had more than the average amount of transfers at the QB spot over the last few years. Nelson, McKinzy, Shortell, Streveler. Regardless of if they would have played significant minutes, this seems like an issue.
Hopefully with the new OC/QB coach we can start getting a bit more consistent with who and what type of QB we recruit.

McKinzy, Shortell, and Streveler all left because they weren't going to get playing time. I suspect that is fairly common. Nelson left because the coaches wanted him to earn playing time and he felt entitled. Different situation and likely less common.

I agree tho - would be nice to hold on to guys like them and Perra.

McKinzy, Shortell, and Streveler all left because they weren't going to get playing time. I suspect that is fairly common. Nelson left because the coaches wanted him to earn playing time and he felt entitled. Different situation and likely less common.

I agree tho - would be nice to hold on to guys like them and Perra.

Forgot about Perra, my bad. Yeah some left for different reasons, but I think it's safe to say Nelson could have helped us, maybe McKinzy? In any case it could have helped us with depth, and provided some competition. It just seems like we've been a bit rudder-less at that spot the last few years. Hopefully now there is a more clear vision of who we want takin' the snaps. Maybe that will help some with the QB transfers.

Changing the narrative again. You said that folks buying tix helped this program more than CS5. That has nothing to do with talent or if a PWO could do the same. It is simply a ridiculous, highly erroneous statement.

Umm, technically Streveler ate up 3 years worth of scholly money to get a degree from a great school. His contributions were on par with a PWO. So from a financial standpoint, it was a huge loss of money, and anyone buying season tickets is contributing money. See the difference???

At least you're being honest in why you're attacking me. :) But I don't think this is the type of thing to get "incensed" about. Just comments on a message board dude.

I think you nailed it with the last word, "recruit". JK never recruited a P5 calibur passer. Had JK stayed, it would only be a year or two before we have this same discussion about Tony Poljan. The only one who could consistently hit a WR downfield was Shortell, and JK ran him out of town.

Umm, technically Streveler ate up 3 years worth of scholly money to get a degree from a great school. His contributions were on par with a PWO. So from a financial standpoint, it was a huge loss of money, and anyone buying season tickets is contributing money. See the difference???

How much did he cost you?

I think you nailed it with the last word, "recruit". JK never recruited a P5 calibur passer. Had JK stayed, it would only be a year or two before we have this same discussion about Tony Poljan. The only one who could consistently hit a WR downfield was Shortell, and JK ran him out of town.

It's bizarre to me that you talk about Shortell being run "out of town". Yet, you are mocking Streveler.

Shortell transferred to Jacksonville State where he did NOT light the world on fire. He was a starter in 2014, and he had worse numbers than Leidner (at a really good FCS school). In 2015, he lost his starting job. Now, I am not here to rip on Max, I feel the same way about Max as I do about Streveler. I appreciate them coming to the U and I hoped for the best.

It's just absolutely bizarre that you seem to hold running Shortell out of the program against JK when he seems to be a perfect example of everything you have been praising on here.

Oh well, I kind of figured you typed stuff without thinking.

Kill was fixated on a run first philosophy (60-40 at one time?). That probably excluded a few QB prospects from considering the GOphers.

He had success with Chandler Harnisch and Jordan Lynch in Northenr Illinois. He tried to institute this same model here, but he had to deal with fixing the legacy that Brewster left behind first.

He found out how tough it is to recruit to MN and even tougher to entice top notch QBs in the B1G.

He tried to fit the QBs that he had on hand to fit into his model, ergo we lost Shortell. In the end, it must not be fun being a backup or bench sitter when you are not winning. I think programs will always have fallout at QB. It becomes a problem when you can't recruit your ideal QB, and you have a high QB attrition.

Claeys and Johnson have to start winning consistently, and the recruits will come. They have to be able to win a B1G title in Claeys era, or I think this program will be doomed to mediocrity forever. We need to have an administration fully in place that is committed to our revenue producing sports not unlike what Wisconsin or Michigan State has done.

"committed to our revenue producing sports" repeat "committed to our revenue producing sports"

It's bizarre to me that you talk about Shortell being run "out of town". Yet, you are mocking Streveler.

Shortell transferred to Jacksonville State where he did NOT light the world on fire. He was a starter in 2014, and he had worse numbers than Leidner (at a really good FCS school). In 2015, he lost his starting job. Now, I am not here to rip on Max, I feel the same way about Max as I do about Streveler. I appreciate them coming to the U and I hoped for the best.

It's just absolutely bizarre that you seem to hold running Shortell out of the program against JK when he seems to be a perfect example of everything you have been praising on here.

Oh well, I kind of figured you typed stuff without thinking.

Yep, gotta end it with an insult, eh? You just had to.

Anyways, what I see in the difference is that Max was doing well before he left, Strev wasn't. Maybe Max didn't turn out great, but at least he was playing and completing passes downfield.

Kill was fixated on a run first philosophy (60-40 at one time?). That probably excluded a few QB prospects from considering the GOphers.

He had success with Chandler Harnisch and Jordan Lynch in Northenr Illinois. He tried to institute this same model here, but he had to deal with fixing the legacy that Brewster left behind first.

He found out how tough it is to recruit to MN and even tougher to entice top notch QBs in the B1G.

He tried to fit the QBs that he had on hand to fit into his model, ergo we lost Shortell. In the end, it must not be fun being a backup or bench sitter when you are not winning. I think programs will always have fallout at QB. It becomes a problem when you can't recruit your ideal QB, and you have a high QB attrition.

Claeys and Johnson have to start winning consistently, and the recruits will come. They have to be able to win a B1G title in Claeys era, or I think this program will be doomed to mediocrity forever. We need to have an administration fully in place that is committed to our revenue producing sports not unlike what Wisconsin or Michigan State has done.

How do schools that are equal or less than us end up with legit passers though? Illinois, Purdue sometimes, NW, etc can get legit passing QBs in the Big Ten. So I'd assume it was more of JK just not wanting to pursue them as hard as he pursued Strev, etc.

NW has won B1G titles before, and that has to help some what.

Both NW and Illinois have some advantage being located in Illinois.

Someone correct me if I am wrong. Didn't Jerry Kill say he was going to focus on building a strong defense first? It didn't seem like a top notch QB was the absolute priority at the time.

Plus Phillip Nelson showed a lot of promise at the time. What better an instate prospect with a lot of promise. I think the thought was he had his QB of the future. On the other hand, the heavy run offense must have scared away a few potential QBs.

Top Bottom