Gophers get Akeem Springs

We're getting a kid from a mid-major and the board is filled with excitement and "Wow!". It's moments like this when I realize just how low the bar is set for Gopher basketball.

All we presently know is that the Gophers recently had the worst record in the history of Minnesota men's basketball. Clearly it won't be that bad next year, but we have no idea how much better it will be. The actual number of known commodities does not bring out the "Wow" in me. I am, however, genuinely curious as to the level of improvement we might see from this squad. It seems nearly impossible for us to ever have a repeat of this past years woefulness.

In any case, I wish Mr. Springs an excellent year here in Minnesota. Enjoy your time and stay away from video cameras while participating in a three way.

Springs is a grad transfer. The ultimate low risk, high reward spring recruit. Everyone should be excited that we got him over other power conference programs (Ole Miss and Butler), especially after our ****ty year.

We're getting a kid from a mid-major and the board is filled with excitement and "Wow!". It's moments like this when I realize just how low the bar is set for Gopher basketball.

All we presently know is that the Gophers recently had the worst record in the history of Minnesota men's basketball. Clearly it won't be that bad next year, but we have no idea how much better it will be. The actual number of known commodities does not bring out the "Wow" in me. I am, however, genuinely curious as to the level of improvement we might see from this squad. It seems nearly impossible for us to ever have a repeat of this past years woefulness.

In any case, I wish Mr. Springs an excellent year here in Minnesota. Enjoy your time and stay away from video cameras while participating in a three way.

You obvious look at the team with pessimism.

We need experienced players that contribute now and won't lock out a scholarship for four years. Look at him as replacement for King. Akeem will help balance out the upper class men experience with the two other transfers. Also, where do most of the graduate transfers come from that all of the top programs add to help balance out the players they loose... Mid majors!

Yeah, mid-major.....which assistant coach is going to tie his shoes each day?

You obvious look at the team with pessimism.

We need experienced players that contribute now and won't lock out a scholarship for four years. Look at him as replacement for King. Akeem will help balance out the upper class men experience with the two other transfers. Also, where do most of the graduate transfers come from that all of the top programs add to help balance out the players they loose... Mid majors!
I prefer to wait and see what a significant influx of unknown players will mean for next season. We have very little to go on. I can't say "wow" until I actually see this new version of Gopher basketball in action.
Not pessimism. Just realism.

I prefer to wait and see what a significant influx of unknown players will mean for next season. We have very little to go on. I can't say "wow" until I actually see this new version of Gopher basketball in action.
Not pessimism. Just realism.

I'd be willing to bet most pessimist think they are just realiststs. Not questioning your point as I think it's valid just believe it's a pessimistic take to have.

Yes, it's those evil Reps. and Walker that are causing this WI mess. But somehow, some way, Bucky is able to overcome the "idiotic cuts" and continue to win.

What a Tool Bag.
It's politics. The bureaucrats are fighting with the state government: Academia vs "The State." Sports wins because they have strong booster support which is outside that fight.

The problem is so deep in the UW university system that now the bureaucrats are turning their "money waste noses" towards athletics.

The Golden Gopher problem is similar, but not nearly as severe. The difference is that M Clubbers are not as supportive of athletics because of they way the school allows the athletic department to shoot themselves in the foot time and time and time again.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Springs is a grad transfer. The ultimate low risk, high reward spring recruit. Everyone should be excited that we got him over other power conference programs (Ole Miss and Butler), especially after our ****ty year.
Can you say "bandaid solution?" Sure, I knew you could.

Can you say "bandaid solution?" Sure, I knew you could. Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Like the total "bandaid solution" of any other 1 year player that helps a team take steps toward winning? Yeah sounds awful. Get back on the glue if you're not already.

What a strange comment. There is no downside to this move.
Not this year, but with the recruiting issues RP has had it is either a bandaid solution or holding off the rockslide. I don't take anything as a given with recruiting until I see the players on the floor in a game.

I'd be willing to bet most pessimist think they are just realiststs. Not questioning your point as I think it's valid just believe it's a pessimistic take to have.
Whether you are a pessimist or a realist depends on how the team is trending. For the last twenty-some years, the team has been trending down and realists have been trying to avoid setting off more landmines and get labeled pessimists by the pollyannas.

Whether you are a pessimist or a realist depends on how the team is trending. For the last twenty-some years, the team has been trending down and realists have been trying to avoid setting off more landmines and get labeled pessimists by the pollyannas.

No being a pessimist or an optimist is more about looking towards the future or dwelling in the past.

If one takes into account all of the changes (adding experienced upper class men inside, another year of growth for a very promising group of freshman and adding a top 25 recruiting class) it quite logical to expect significant improvements. If you dwell on what happen last year with a team that had to start a first year walk on as the PG, had no available depth at most positions, etc you are a pessimist. Couple that with the obsession many have with tying any current situation with 20 years of history and that leads to haters.

If you have no dreams you are already dead.

Illinois' Mike Thorne had offers from Kentucky and Kansas when he announced he was transferring out of UNC-Charlotte. There are good players at the mid-major level, and good teams show interest in grad transfers from mid-majors. Springs was one of the top contributors on a team that won 20 games and was better than the Gophers, so playing at a mid-major does not make him inherently bad, nor does our excitement about this signing mean we're really scraping the bottom of the barrel for players. Last year one of our big problems was simply not having enough guys, and having very little experience. Even if Springs ends up just being a below average role player, he's still added depth so we won't be forced to play walk-ons in the first half when someone gets in foul trouble. Having 13 scholarship players at the beginning of this next season instead of 5 is already an improvement over the end of last season.

Can you say "bandaid solution?" Sure, I knew you could.

If you ask most gopher fans if they would trade Kevin Dorsey for Akeem Springs and an open scholarship in 2017 I think the answer would be a resounding yes. Not a band aid solution.

Just out of curiosity, is Springs a better "get" than a healthy Spike Albrecht would have been? (Just a talent comparison, I know Spike wouldn't/couldn't have come here.)

Just out of curiosity, is Springs a better "get" than a healthy Spike Albrecht would have been? (Just a talent comparison, I know Spike wouldn't/couldn't have come here.)

Ill take the guy who isn't coming off of double hip surgery. I believe it is a chronic issue for Spike as well. I remember seeing an interview with him where he said his dad also has bad hips and needs a double hip replacement.

Illinois' Mike Thorne had offers from Kentucky and Kansas when he announced he was transferring out of UNC-Charlotte. There are good players at the mid-major level, and good teams show interest in grad transfers from mid-majors. Springs was one of the top contributors on a team that won 20 games and was better than the Gophers, so playing at a mid-major does not make him inherently bad, nor does our excitement about this signing mean we're really scraping the bottom of the barrel for players. Last year one of our big problems was simply not having enough guys, and having very little experience. Even if Springs ends up just being a below average role player, he's still added depth so we won't be forced to play walk-ons in the first half when someone gets in foul trouble. Having 13 scholarship players at the beginning of this next season instead of 5 is already an improvement over the end of last season.
I agree with everything you've said. I'm just not digging the dudes saying "wow" over Springs. After last season, I can't imagine any new blood hurting us. I'm just not at the "wow" stage with Springs.

I agree with everything you've said. I'm just not digging the dudes saying "wow" over Springs. After last season, I can't imagine any new blood hurting us. I'm just not at the "wow" stage with Springs.

Ok I can feel that. It does seem like this was close to the best possible use we could have gotten out of the open scholarship though, maybe some people are just pleasantly surprised that things are going according to plan for once haha.

Just speaking for myself, but when I said "wow," I meant "wow I can't believe we got a decent grad transfer after that horrible season." Grad transfers typically target contenders.

Just speaking for myself, but when I said "wow," I meant "wow I can't believe we got a decent grad transfer after that horrible season." Grad transfers typically target contenders.

We will be a contender.

I think this comes down to a simple question - do you trust Rich Pitino to lead this program in the right direction?

If you DO trust Pitino, you are more likely to see Springs as a veteran addition to a young team, and at the very least, a usable player to provide some minutes and add depth.

If you do NOT trust Pitino, you see the Gophs grasping at straws and taking a flyer on a guy who may or may not be able to play in the B1G.

In short - positive and negative comments are more reflective of how people feel about Pitino than how people feel about Springs.

I hope the guy pans out. I still have major reservations about whether Pitino has a master plan for this program. But, I will wait and see what happens next year.

Looks like a very low risk, nice depth piece. I'm thinking he'll present a nice scoring option off the bench. It doesn't look like he'll stuff the stat sheet on both ends of the floor, but he can score and rebound. Two things we missed a lot last year. I like his offensive efficiency progression the last few years. Turned himself into a decent threat from behind the arc.

I think he's a GREAT addition. He's 22 years old. He scored in double figures in 20 games this season and had one 33 point game. He had 21 points against Notre Dame, 15 pts and 7 rbs against the Gophers, and 14 and 13 pts. in two games against Valparaiso (a pretty good team if you watched them in the NIT).

Top Bottom