STrib: No changes to U staff

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Amelia:

No changes to staff

Despite coming off a historically bad season in which the Gophers set records for the longest losing streak (14 games) and losses (23), Pitino said he doesn’t feel substantial changes are needed.

“If there was [a need for changes],” he said, “I would have done them.”

That includes his immediate staff, which is comprised of three assistants — Ben Johnson, Nate Pomeday and Kimani Young — as well as Ryan Livingston, the director of basketball operations.

“Do we all need to get better? Yes. Do I need to get better? Yes,” Pitino said. “I think we all understand that. But I love the potential of our staff. We’ve got two Midwest guys — Ben played here, and Nate played at Northwestern. They understand the Big Ten, they understand the Midwest, which is great for a guy who is not from here like myself. I think Kimani and I work really well on the East Coast together. I think Ryan Livingston, who we’ve brought in as our ops guy, he brought a lot of knowledge from Villanova.

“I think we have a great staff. It doesn’t look like it right now, but I think it’s going to pay off in the end.”

http://www.startribune.com/richard-...ng-more-transfers-or-staff-changes/375616171/

Go Gophers!!

If we had a coaching staff that had been together for 6 or 8 years and we had last season I'd want a change. However, we've had a decent amount of turnover over the last 5 years overall so continuity can only be a good thing right now.

What were you hoping for?

IMO, they really missed McHale last year. I really wish he would bring in a veteran coach who can teach defense. Someone like Coach Mo. I didn't really expect him to, so it's not shocking. I'm not advocating for any specific coach to be fired as I think they could shuffle some of the other things around (i.e. Pomeday could go back to his prior position, etc.)

A veteran coach would probably undermine young pup Pitino a little. So I don't think he would be in favor of that. They do need to work on the defense. Konate with his size and athleticism should have been a better defender.

IMO, they really missed McHale last year. I really wish he would bring in a veteran coach who can teach defense. Someone like Coach Mo. I didn't really expect him to, so it's not shocking. I'm not advocating for any specific coach to be fired as I think they could shuffle some of the other things around (i.e. Pomeday could go back to his prior position, etc.)

From where the Gopher defense was in November compared with how they were playing before the suspensions I'd say they improved vastly. Someone must've helped with the improvement.

They would have to fire the current DBO to demote Pomeday.

Top Bottom