Memphis is strongly considering Tubby Smith

Odds are that Tubby will be able to get his 6th NCAA team into the tournament.

Is that the record? I feel like Left Driesell or someone like that was the leader, but he only made it with 4 teams.

Is that the record? I feel like Left Driesell or someone like that was the leader, but he only made it with 4 teams.

6 would be the record.

I know Lon Kruger has 5. ... Kansas State, Florida, Illinois, UNLV, and Oklahoma.

From Gary Parrish-

http://cbsprt.co/1rqp31u

Inside College Hoops: Tubby Smith is facing his first dilemma at Memphis

Sources have told CBS Sports that it was the direct result of Keelon Lawson leaving a meeting with the Memphis administration under the impression that he'd remain on staff in a coaching position regardless of whom Memphis hired to replace Pastner. Whether Memphis officials explicitly promised anything is unclear. But what's clear is that Keelon Lawson believedMemphis did. So Dedric Lawson withdrew from the NBA Draft.

And then Memphis hired Tubby Smith.

Smith and Lawson met shortly after Smith was hired, and sources told CBS Sports that Smith promised Lawson a spot but did not guarantee it would be in a coaching role. Problem is, Memphis would need to apply for a waiver from the NCAA to move Lawson into a non-coaching role because of a rule that prohibits schools from having people connected to prospects in non-coaching roles within two years of said prospects enrolling.

Would the NCAA grant such a waiver?

Who knows?

But it also might not matter. Because sources have told CBS Sports that Keelon Lawson doesn't want a non-coaching position. He wants to be an assistant just like he's been the past two seasons. So if you were wondering why Dedric Lawson filed paperwork earlier this week to actually enter the NBA Draft after previously announcing he would not enter the NBA Draft, now you know. It was a not-so-subtle move designed to send the following message: keep my dad in a coaching role or else.

Consequently, Tubby Smith is already facing his first big dilemma at Memphis.

From Gary Parrish-

http://cbsprt.co/1rqp31u

Inside College Hoops: Tubby Smith is facing his first dilemma at Memphis

Sources have told CBS Sports that it was the direct result of Keelon Lawson leaving a meeting with the Memphis administration under the impression that he'd remain on staff in a coaching position regardless of whom Memphis hired to replace Pastner. Whether Memphis officials explicitly promised anything is unclear. But what's clear is that Keelon Lawson believedMemphis did. So Dedric Lawson withdrew from the NBA Draft.

And then Memphis hired Tubby Smith.

Smith and Lawson met shortly after Smith was hired, and sources told CBS Sports that Smith promised Lawson a spot but did not guarantee it would be in a coaching role. Problem is, Memphis would need to apply for a waiver from the NCAA to move Lawson into a non-coaching role because of a rule that prohibits schools from having people connected to prospects in non-coaching roles within two years of said prospects enrolling.

Would the NCAA grant such a waiver?

Who knows?

But it also might not matter. Because sources have told CBS Sports that Keelon Lawson doesn't want a non-coaching position. He wants to be an assistant just like he's been the past two seasons. So if you were wondering why Dedric Lawson filed paperwork earlier this week to actually enter the NBA Draft after previously announcing he would not enter the NBA Draft, now you know. It was a not-so-subtle move designed to send the following message: keep my dad in a coaching role or else.

Consequently, Tubby Smith is already facing his first big dilemma at Memphis.

Jimmy Williams 2? Really odd that an administration would promise a job to an assistant in a coaching transition. Hard to believe. But these communication issues do seem to follow Tubby.

Jimmy Williams 2? Really odd that an administration would promise a job to an assistant in a coaching transition. Hard to believe. But these communication issues do seem to follow Tubby.

Yeah and a tough spot as well. The coach has two top 100 sons on the team and arguably the best of the 3 still coming through the ranks. Curious to see how Tubby handles this one.

Yeah and a tough spot as well. The coach has two top 100 sons on the team and arguably the best of the 3 still coming through the ranks. Curious to see how Tubby handles this one.

Give him the job. That's the way the system works. Make one of the other guys he promised his personal valet or something.

Commercial Appeal with an update on what is turning into a crazy start for Tubby:

A potentially explosive situation for the University of Memphis basketball program might have come to a head Saturday when the brother of Tigers assistant coach Keelon Lawson publicly challenged new head coach Tubby Smith to retain Lawson as an assistant or risk losing the team's top two returning players.

Chuck Lawson, the uncle of Tigers freshmen forwards Dedric and K.J. Lawson and founder of 901Prepscoop.com, wrote on his website that "the ball is in Tubby's hands and it's up to him."

"You would lose your 2 top scorers from the previous year and have to fill 5-7 roster spots instead of 4-5," Chuck wrote of the potential consequences of Memphis not retaining Keelon, the brothers' father, as an assistant.

Chuck wrote that U of M officials told Keelon before Smith was hired that he would be retained as an assistant by the Tigers' next head coach. But after meeting with Smith, Chuck wrote, it was apparent to Keelon "that Coach Smith wasn't too fond of the idea of him as the third assistant."

Keelon's sons would be Memphis' top two returning scorers next season.

"So what happens now?" Chuck Lawson wrote Saturday. "Does Tubby give in and say, 'Coach Lawson you're my 3rd guy for this year,' or does he say, 'Coach it's been real?' Does he go ahead and make the hire of Saul (Smith), his son who played under him at Kentucky? What's kind of funny, he's trying to replace the father of kids with his son who played for him, kind of ironic."

http://www.commercialappeal.com/spo...-2eee-e053-0100007f60-376863471.html?d=mobile

Go Gophers!!

A tough situation will turn into an ugly situation if Tubby retains that assistant.

A tough situation will turn into an ugly situation if Tubby retains that assistant.

Disagree. Think you keep the coach every time. When the alternative is Saul whom has a DUI on his record and is already a case of nepotism. You keep the coach who had 3 kids as top 100 recruits and can actually win you games. Have to endure the kids are all treated fairly, but players win games more than your third assistant.

No way do you let a player or recruit dictate who you hire. Highly doubt the guy is qualified and wouldn't have been a coach for Memphis if it weren't for those recruits. This is basically blackmail.

Well I guess they'll have new scoring leaders this season. They lost with the law sons they can lose without them

Well I guess they'll have new scoring leaders this season. They lost with the law sons they can lose without them

That should help Tubby's job status.

Of the belief you get the best players possible any way possible within the rules. If Pitino could hire this coach tomorrow he should do it in a heartbeat. Sure it feels better to tell the coach to kick rocks, but typically a coaches job and fans happiness isn't based on how nice and moral their coach is.

Tubby had no problem signing Wally Ellenson and (allegedly) doing whatever his parents asked in order to get Henry, not sure how this is any different.

Tubby had no problem signing Wally Ellenson and (allegedly) doing whatever his parents asked in order to get Henry, not sure how this is any different.

A lot different. This one would require he hires a guy he really does not want on his staff.

A lot different. This one would require he hires a guy he really does not want on his staff.

Tubby also didn't play ball the Ellensons. Relationship was not good when Wally didn't earn playing time. Tubby rightly thought he should have been redshirted and family said no.

Horrible spot for Tubby. Either way, it's a toxic situation for him. Canning a guy with talented kids to bring in your own kid is just bad news. Keeping a guy who may not be qualified is not better news.

Tubby also didn't play ball the Ellensons. Relationship was not good when Wally didn't earn playing time. Tubby rightly thought he should have been redshirted and family said no. Horrible spot for Tubby. Either way, it's a toxic situation for him. Canning a guy with talented kids to bring in your own kid is just bad news. Keeping a guy who may not be qualified is not better news.

Agree. It is tough either way. As far as keeping a guy who may not be qualified, I'm just not sure how much more qualified the guy he wants to bring in is. And when one of those coaches brings 3 top 100 recruits with him, I'm taking that guy.

*Unless Tubby has assurance from his bosses that rebuilding years are okay. If he has a few years to rebuild, keeping those kids isn't as crucial. If they want immediate results though he kind of has to do what it takes to win if he wants to keep his job.

Tubby also didn't play ball the Ellensons. Relationship was not good when Wally didn't earn playing time. Tubby rightly thought he should have been redshirted and family said no.

Horrible spot for Tubby. Either way, it's a toxic situation for him. Canning a guy with talented kids to bring in your own kid is just bad news. Keeping a guy who may not be qualified is not better news.

That is not how a lot of people remember it on this board. Most had the younger Ellenson coming to Minnesota until Pitino "screwed it up"...

That is not how a lot of people remember it on this board. Most had the younger Ellenson coming to Minnesota until Pitino "screwed it up"...

I think it was a little bit of both. Wally also hurt his shoulder, so he couldn't get that early playing time against non con scrubs to get his feet wet and find his role within the rotation. Maybe the Ellenson's thought Pitino would be a fresh start, in theory Wally was hyped as the type of athlete who could fit the system Pitino wants to run, but like Tubby, Pitino didn't think Wally was ready for major minutes

He should get rid of that tub of goo Joe Esposito

@tsnmike
So new Memphis coach Tubby Smith wants special dispensation from NCAA rule designed to discourage package deals--so he can hire son as asst.

So, that leaves Vince Taylor off of Tubby's new staff? Did Vince get a job elsewhere that I missed? Maybe he moved on on his own? Or, maybe Tubby told him to move on?

So, that leaves Vince Taylor off of Tubby's new staff? Did Vince get a job elsewhere that I missed? Maybe he moved on on his own? Or, maybe Tubby told him to move on?

Tubby seems to be trying to keep his staff intact and hire the assistant in question as a non-basketball staff member and therefore not count against the total. However, in order to do this they need an NCAA waiver since he was previously on staff with current recruits.

I think Saul is the assistant who's spot this guy would take if he were made a basketball guy.

Tubby seems to be trying to keep his staff intact and hire the assistant in question as a non-basketball staff member and therefore not count against the total. However, in order to do this they need an NCAA waiver since he was previously on staff with current recruits.

I think Saul is the assistant who's spot this guy would take if he were made a basketball guy.

Seems to me like this should not be allowed. Otherwise every team should just hire the parent of a top recruit, not make them a staff member, and just pay them a lot of money.

Just make him an assistant to the traveling secretary.

That doesn't answer my question on Vince Taylor.

At Tech, Saul was NOT an assistant coach. Vince was.

Now, it appears Saul IS going to be an assistant at Memphis, along with Esposito and Williamson. That clearly would leave Taylor out as an assistant coach (you only get 3).

So, I'll pose the question again, has anyone heard about Vince?

Top Bottom