Memphis is strongly considering Tubby Smith

Good for Tubby but this is one of the reasons I didn't mind his dismissal from Minnesota.

Right or wrong, it always seemed that he was perpetually auditioning for a "better" job. If he won bigger at Minnesota, he would have left for a "better" job as soon as he possibly could.

Pitino (and most coaches) may be the same but Tubby did a very poor job of hiding his interest in other programs.

I disagree that Tubby would have left here. Memphis is worlds apart from Lubbick.

I disagree that Tubby would have left here. Memphis is worlds apart from Lubbick.

Memphis may be worlds apart but Tubby has left every other job than Minnesota for greener or safer pastures.

He sure had his name linked to lots of jobs while he was here.

Tubby career arc:

Kentucky - most prestigious
Memphis
Minnesota
Georgia
Tulsa - least prestigious

I'd say he had greener pastures at Kentucky if he would have recruited just a little bit.

Tubby career arc:

Kentucky - most prestigious
Memphis
Minnesota
Georgia
Tulsa
Texas Tech- least prestigious
I'd say he had greener pastures at Kentucky if he would have recruited just a little bit.
FIFY

Replacing a coach

Memphis may be worlds apart but Tubby has left every other job than Minnesota for greener or safer pastures.

He sure had his name linked to lots of jobs while he was here.

It would be a great problem to have, looking for a coach because he did well here instead of:

- Cheating
- Not winning
- Off court scandal

I've not given up on Pitino, but Teague was the mistake hire.

So it was a mistake to hire Teague, but the guy he hired in turn was not a mistake?

I supported Tubby being fired and what has transpired since goes to show that the school/leadership and support of the major sports is the problem at the U.

What could the school/leadership have done in the last 2-3 years to avoid the basketball program being where it is now? What support could they have given to aid the team in securing more than 8 wins this past season?

If Tubby goes to Memphis, will he ever leave the blues saloons? He was a frequent visitor of the Dakota in Minneapolis.

So it was a mistake to hire Teague, but the guy he hired in turn was not a mistake?

What could the school/leadership have done in the last 2-3 years to avoid the basketball program being where it is now? What support could they have given to aid the team in securing more than 8 wins this past season?

Just my opinion that Tubby maxed out what program could be done under administration and current facilities. I judge Pitino on the upcoming season.

Watch and see Texas Tech collapse in the next few years, and it will have nothing to do with coaching. Tubby's recruiting class this year is awful. I see a pattern

My respect for Tubby is lower after this move, not that he cares. He was only at Tech for three years and failed to deliver what he claimed he would deliver. A .500 conference record and first round exit and its time to move on? I am sure the players and many fans feel jilted and duped. They gave him a nice landing and in return?

Tubby is 65 and is not a long-term solution in Memphis.

My respect for Tubby is lower after this move, not that he cares. He was only at Tech for three years and failed to deliver what he claimed he would deliver. A .500 conference record and first round exit and its time to move on? I am sure the players and many fans feel jilted and duped. They gave him a nice landing and in return?

Tubby is 65 and is not a long-term solution in Memphis.

Hey! He is the National Coach of the Year!:banghead:

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

milesdealwithit.gif

There will be buyer's remorse in a couple years.

I think buyer's remorse is much more likely to occur at Texas Tech, if they hire Beard.

I'm actually intrigued to see if (former Gopher coach) leads a second school to the NCAA tourney since being fired from Minnesota before we appear in our next one.

Odds are that Tubby will be able to get his 6th NCAA team into the tournament.

How pissed are TT folks? Guy tells you he wants to bring the program up and end his career at TT and bolts after a touch of success.

I'm sure they're pissed, as most fan bases are when something like this happens. The price you pay, unfortunately, unless you're a blueblood.

Do you think coach Pitino will employ the ball-line defense this coming season:confused:

There will be buyer's remorse in a couple years.

From the Memphis message board:

"My gosh, we may actually run a structured, disciplined offense for the first time in decades!!!"

Poor guy...

From the Memphis message board: "My gosh, we may actually run a structured, disciplined offense for the first time in decades!!!" Poor guy...

Lmao. They'll learn.

Wait til they see the first time his team encounters a zone and he sits there looking befuddled. And his out of bounds plays, lol.

milesdealwithit.gif

So is anyone from the national media going after Miles yet? Of course, it's true, but Tubby has a lot of friends in the media as we found out when they trashed us. Does Miles risk getting blackballed in the profession here? I think he will wish he had this one back. Publicly poking a peer is just not a good idea.

I hope that ends the nonsense. Miles is a good dude. Can't guys give each other shat anymore?

Sense of humor is lost in most corners of society now. Few choose not to tell the difference between a friendly jibe and an intended insult.

How pissed are TT folks? Guy tells you he wants to bring the program up and end his career at TT and bolts after a touch of success.

We came within inches of the same thing here. In hindsight, it wouldn't have been so terrible. This (a #8 seed) was probably the peak anyway for TT anyway.

Top Bottom