Memphis is strongly considering Tubby Smith

BleedGopher

Reaction score
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Good God no! This will just jump-start the Tubby apologists!:horse:

I think this is a very fair assessment from Wolken.

I hope (former Gopher coach) is offered and takes the Memphis job. Lot better chance for him to have success there than Lubbock.

What kind of job is Memphis considered now? They've won just 2 tourney games in the past 7 seasons. I know it would be a step up from TT, but probably not like it would have been several years ago.

I think this is a very fair assessment from Wolken.

I hope Tubby is offered and takes the Memphis job. Lot better chance for him to have success there than Lubbock.

I agree, I think this is Tubby best chance to get out of Lubbock, he did a good job of turning chicken **** into chicken salad and needs to cash in. Memphis won't put up with his recruiting style so he will need some energetic recruiters to bring in talent. With the way he can coach defense, if he could bring in top 30 type classes I think he could do well there for the next 5-10 years before retiring

Reading responses to this news on Twitter, sounds like Penny would be brought in as the lead recruiter. Would be perfect for Tubby, since recruiting is not his thing.

Tubby Smith will be 65 in June. I have a hard time believing Memphis will go this route.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebas...h-now-focused-on-texas-tech-coach-tubby-smith

Cue Otis:

Texas Tech's Tubby Smith has emerged as the top candidate at Memphis and could be named the school's new coach in the next 24 hours, a source has told CBS Sports.

"I'll be surprised, at this point, if it's not Tubby," one source said.

Memphis is trying to replace Josh Pastner.

Pastner left last week to be Georgia Tech's head coach.

Though names like Gregg Marshall and Buzz Williams have been mentioned as high-profile possibilities, a source told CBS Sports that Memphis officials were certain from the jump they couldn't do enough to lure Marshall from Wichita State, and they're also skeptical they could lure Williams from Virginia Tech -- though a source told CBS Sports that Memphis has at least tried to gauge Williams' level of possible interest, to some degree. Regardless, the school is now focused on candidates it feels it can reasonably expect to hire, and Smith headlines that list, a source told CBS Sports early Wednesday

Given the disquiet from Memphis fans given Pastner's results, are they going to be happy with Tubby?

This would be a great job of Tubby and I think he would do very well there. He is a great coach. His recruiting energy is gone but Memphis has plenty of home grown talent.

Would be a great move for Tubby. A lot of local talent and a lot easier to win consistently in the American than it ever will be in the XII.

What kind of job is Memphis considered now? They've won just 2 tourney games in the past 7 seasons. I know it would be a step up from TT, but probably not like it would have been several years ago.

Better job. Worse conference. But I guess I'd rather be top 3 in the AAC than fighting for 6th in the Big XXII.

Would be a great move for Tubby. A lot of local talent and a lot easier to win consistently in the American than it ever will be in the XII.

Agreed. Especially after he was able to recruit both Hollins to MN from around Memphis.

Better job. Worse conference. But I guess I'd rather be top 3 in the AAC than fighting for 6th in the Big XXII.

I agree the Big 12 is better, but there are some programs in the AAC with tradition, UCONN, Cincy, Memphis, Houston, Temple have all been quality programs, SMU when their not on probation has emerged as a good program, Tulsa has been an NCAA/NIT borderline type program. I think as a conference it definitely has potential. It may never be the top conference in the land, but there's no reason it can't challenge a couple of the P5 leagues like the Big East does.

ESPN and CBS Sports are reporting that Tubby to Memphis is all but a done deal. Sorry, I can't find a link a link that confirms this. It was scrolled across the screen during Sportscenter.

Edit: NM

Andre Hollins chimes in, per the Commercial Appeal:

One of Smith's former players, former Minnesota Gophers and White Station High standout Andre Hollins, predicts the likely future inductee into the Naismith Memorial Hall of Fame will be a good fit at Memphis.

He said Smith, who's never been labeled an elite-level recruiter, would have no trouble keeping local talent at the U of M.

"Yeah. For sure. He got me all the way to Minnesota, so he'll be fine," said Hollins, who's playing overseas in Belgium.

"Coach Smith was/is like a father figure to me. He is undoubtedly one of the nicest human beings you'll ever meet, along with his wife Donna."

"I have nothing but the utmost respect for him."

http://www.commercialappeal.com/spo...s-basketball-coach-source-says-375680321.html

Go Gophers!!

I was all for dumping Tubby but hiring Tim Brewster 2.0 wasn't the U's finest hour.

Good for Tubby but this is one of the reasons I didn't mind his dismissal from Minnesota.

Right or wrong, it always seemed that he was perpetually auditioning for a "better" job. If he won bigger at Minnesota, he would have left for a "better" job as soon as he possibly could.

Pitino (and most coaches) may be the same but Tubby did a very poor job of hiding his interest in other programs.

Good for Tubby but this is one of the reasons I didn't mind his dismissal from Minnesota.

Right or wrong, it always seemed that he was perpetually auditioning for a "better" job. If he won bigger at Minnesota, he would have left for a "better" job as soon as he possibly could.

Pitino (and most coaches) may be the same but Tubby did a very poor job of hiding his interest in other programs.

+1

I first read the headline as "Murphy is Strongly Considering Joining Tubby Smith"

Just about had a heart attack :eek:

I was all for dumping Tubby but hiring Tim Brewster 2.0 wasn't the U's finest hour.

I've not given up on Pitino, but Teague was the mistake hire. I supported Tubby being fired and what has transpired since goes to show that the school/leadership and support of the major sports is the problem at the U.

Top Bottom