Wisconsin?

Ski U Mah Gopher

Member of the Tribe
Reaction score
As I'm watching the Frozen Four, I was surprised to see that Wisconsin is the host

Why would the Tampa Bay Area team up with them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As I'm watching the Frozen Four, I was surprised to see that Wisconsin is the host

Why would the Tampa Bay Area team up with them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was wondering the same thing. Seemed odd to me.

http://host.madison.com/wsj/sports/...cle_8625da1c-96b1-58dd-9923-c9ddce000d56.html

From Madison.com (and a reminder that Anchorage hosted the Frozen Four in Anaheim):

Here's a story from Dec. 12, 2013 by former State Journal sports reporter Andy Baggot on how UW came to be the host school for an event taking place more than 1,000 miles from its Madison campus.

---

University of Wisconsin Athletic Department officials have hosted many NCAA tournament events over the years, but none as unusual as the one they secured Wednesday.

UW will be the host school when the 2016 NCAA Frozen Four for men’s hockey is played at the Times Forum (now Amalie Arena) in Tampa, Fla.

“It’s a little bit unique, obviously, a hockey championship in Florida,” UW associate athletic director Jason King said. “But we’re really excited about it.”

How did this happen?

Back in September, Justin Doherty, the UW senior associate athletic director for external relations, said officials at the Tampa Bay Sports Commission asked if UW would be interested in collaborating on their bid.

The line of communication was opened in 2012 when Tampa was the site of the NCAA Frozen Four and former UW deputy athletic director Sean Frazier was chair of the NCAA Ice Hockey Committee. Frazier is now the athletic director at Northern Illinois.

Top Bottom