Henry Ellenson to the NBA

So Wojo is stuck with Wally sucking up another year of a scholarship to pay for his deal to get Henry, without even a tournament appearance to show for it.

So Wojo is stuck with Wally sucking up another year of a scholarship to pay for his deal to get Henry, without even a tournament appearance to show for it.

Can't lie, I get some enjoyment out of that...

Could be a top five pick, don't blame him, always wondered if he would came here under Tubby, doubt it, but I always assumed that was the reason for bringing in Wally

Could be a top five pick, don't blame him, always wondered if he would came here under Tubby, doubt it, but I always assumed that was the reason for bringing in Wally

Wally had offers from Nebraska, Ok State, West Virginia, Utah, and a few solid mid-majors like Dayton, NIU, and St. Louis. It wasn't a JD Pride situation where they only recruited him in the hopes of getting his brother.

Wally had offers from Nebraska, Ok State, West Virginia, Utah, and a few solid mid-majors like Dayton, NIU, and St. Louis. It wasn't a JD Pride situation where they only recruited him in the hopes of getting his brother.

Perhaps they all wanted his brother too :), Wally's a great athlete and that always gives you something to work with, and I am sure if he had stayed four years he could've carved out a nitch but like Devoe who was way better and now Michael hurt, time will tell baby brother is the bigger prize.

Wrong. He sucked and they had no other reason to bring him in other than to get Hank.

Wrong. He sucked and they had no other reason to bring him in other than to get Hank.

Yeah, ok. I'm sure St. Louis and Dayton harbored ambitions of signing a 5-star player, if only they could bring in his brother who "sucked".

Yeah, ok. I'm sure St. Louis and Dayton harbored ambitions of signing a 5-star player, if only they could bring in his brother who "sucked".

Actually it would have been interesting to see what Archie Miller could have done with Wally's athleticism.

I've seen Ellenson mocked anywhere from 5 to 10 in this year's draft. Seen comparisons to Markieff Morris (minus the idiot crazy turd part), Nikola Mirotic and Kevin Love. So people must think highly of him. Know he's got nice skills offensively...is he a "high upside" type guy or does he have more role playing potential? What's the thought on him?

I've seen Ellenson mocked anywhere from 5 to 10 in this year's draft. Seen comparisons to Markieff Morris (minus the idiot crazy turd part), Nikola Mirotic and Kevin Love. So people must think highly of him. Know he's got nice skills offensively...is he a "high upside" type guy or does he have more role playing potential? What's the thought on him?

It remains to be seen how it goes for him in the league, but I don't get the comparisons to Love at all. Their stats were about the same, but Love was the best player on a loaded UCLA Final Four team that also had Russell Westbrook and Darren Collison, and was Pac-10 POY and 1st Team All-American, while Ellenson is the best player on a pretty mediocre Marquette team. If he's as good as Love, his stats should've been way better. In my opinion the team that drafts him should be ecstatic if he's even close to as good as Love.

The Wolves could use a PF who can shoot if Buddy Hield or Jamal Murray are not available.

It remains to be seen how it goes for him in the league, but I don't get the comparisons to Love at all. Their stats were about the same, but Love was the best player on a loaded UCLA Final Four team that also had Russell Westbrook and Darren Collison, and was Pac-10 POY and 1st Team All-American, while Ellenson is the best player on a pretty mediocre Marquette team. If he's as good as Love, his stats should've been way better. In my opinion the team that drafts him should be ecstatic if he's even close to as good as Love.

Agreed whole heartedly. Love was a beast for that UCLA team.

I get that every white big guy who can shoot will inevitably get the KLove comparison but I don't see that comparison really. Love is a good post up guy and a good spot up shooter. Ellenson seems more capable of handling the ball and driving on big guys than a guy who will kill you knocking down a bunch of 3-pointers.

If he's like a Markieff Morris (again minus the knucklehead), he'll carve out a nice career.

Still think from a Wolves perspective, I'd rather have Kris Dunn, Ivan Rabb and maybe even Sabonis.

Are the Ellensons related to the Humphries?

Sad part is the Ellenson's are great people with a really nice family and take a lot of unfair crap on this board.

UCLA Kevin Love and the Current NBA Kevin Love are completely different players. Its hard to disagree with "current NBA Love" and Ellenson compression, both are stretch 4's, good build, good rebounders, below the rim players, sub-par athletes, with lackluster defense. I'm sure if you gave Ellenson 3 NBA talent teammates he'd be in the Tourney too, there is a reason why he is being mocked so high by draft websites.

What does the fact that Love had way better teammates and team success have to do with the two being compared as players?

What does the fact that Love had way better teammates and team success have to do with the two being compared as players?

They put up roughly the same stats even though UCLA had multiple scoring options and a much better team overall. It's much easier to put up big numbers when everyone defers to you because you're far and away the best player on a mediocre team. Love scored a point more per game despite Ellenson getting 3 additional shots per game. Love would've been a 21-22 ppg scorer (at least) on this year's Marquette squad, not to mention being a better shooter, rebounder, and passer.

I have no idea why Tubby signed Wally.
What I do know that on an undermanned team with Pitino desperate for anyone who could play he could not find minutes for Wally.
Mama Ellenson and Pitino had words and Wally left for Marquette. Henry followed.
Again the Marquette team was not loaded with talent, had a mediocre conference record but Wally got very few minutes even after Mama Ellenson and WoJo had words.
Henry is a good player partcularly on defense but when he played against an older big he was often schooled on offense.
He will be drafted. The Ellensons will not have to worry about their IRA and everyone is happy. I guess.

I'm thinking bust.

They put up roughly the same stats even though UCLA had multiple scoring options and a much better team overall. It's much easier to put up big numbers when everyone defers to you because you're far and away the best player on a mediocre team. Love scored a point more per game despite Ellenson getting 3 additional shots per game. Love would've been a 21-22 ppg scorer (at least) on this year's Marquette squad, not to mention being a better shooter, rebounder, and passer.

Kevin Love was also a much more efficient player.

Sad part is the Ellenson's are great people with a really nice family and take a lot of unfair crap on this board.

I have no issue with the Ellenson's. I don't blame Wally for leaving and I don't blame Henry for not coming here. However, people have been talking bad about the family since before the Gophers were in the picture. I have no idea what went down at Eau Claire Memorial for the family to leave, but whispers about Papa Ellenson weren't started at Gopherhole.

Having overprotective fathers and issues with their HS coach. . . there is something that Henry and Kevin Love seem to have in common.

Here is the original statement that sparked all this: "Seen comparisons to Markieff Morris (minus the idiot crazy turd part), Nikola Mirotic and Kevin Love." Clearly the comparison has to do with style. You seem to hate comparisons that have to do with style. More broadly, when there is just about any comparison, you seem to always act like the comparison is ridiculous because you ignore the reason they're being compared in the first place. It's like this weird version of a straw man argument that Reusse and Souhan are experts at using.

Here is the original statement that sparked all this: "Seen comparisons to Markieff Morris (minus the idiot crazy turd part), Nikola Mirotic and Kevin Love." Clearly the comparison has to do with style. You seem to hate comparisons that have to do with style. More broadly, when there is just about any comparison, you seem to always act like the comparison is ridiculous because you ignore the reason they're being compared in the first place. It's like this weird version of a straw man argument that Reusse and Souhan are experts at using.

If so, it's even worse, because Ellenson and Love the collegian are/were not the same style of player.

Top Bottom