Rand Ball: 'Nothing but the best': Gophers have transfer statements down

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Rand:

The Gophers announced Monday that Kevin Dorsey, a central figure in this season’s social media scandal, was going to transfer. In a statement announcing the move, Gophers coach Richard Pitino said this:

“After discussion with Kevin and his family, we all feel that is best for him to transfer and get closer to home. We wish Kevin nothing but the best moving forward and will assist him in the process in any way that we can.”

The bold type on “nothing but the best” is supplied by me because, upon reviewing some of the other amicable partings between the Gophers and players that have taken place with great frequency in the past few seasons, I noticed that the phrase is the go-to one chosen by Pitino and anyone else who might be helping him craft his statements.

http://www.startribune.com/nothing-but-the-best-gophers-have-transfer-statements-down/374652561/

Go Gophers!!

We live in a world where not only are the transferring players analyzed and writ-wrat-wrote about, but also the statement issued by the coach. Did anyone seriously care that Pitino is really consistent in his "wish nothing but the best" statement? Man the things people notice and choose to care about. Silly.

We live in a world where not only are the transferring players analyzed and writ-wrat-wrote about, but also the statement issued by the coach. Did anyone seriously care that Pitino is really consistent in his "wish nothing but the best" statement? Man the things people notice and choose to care about. Silly.

When employees leave my place of work, "we wish them nothing but the best" is a common phrase here as well. I'm pretty sure it's common almost everywhere unless the person leaving is a scum of the Earth kind of person. This is journalism for the sake of getting a story out.

Probably wouldn't be in the best interest of the coach or the program if the statement read:

"After discussing the upcoming season, we have come to the conclusion that Freddie Baskets sucks ass. To be clear, he is not transferring...he is being told to pack his **** and get the **** out of here. We wish him nothing but pain and misery for all his years. If you see him before he leaves town, make sure you call him a piece of ****."

I think Rand is saying that, when Pitino issues virtually identical statements after every transfer, it starts to sound like a form letter. I wonder if the SID for hoops keeps that generic statement on his computer and just changes the names.

It wouldn't take that much work to change the wording a little bit.

Of course it's the same form letter everytime. Nobody is going to read it and think "gosh that sounds the same as the last one" then think something different about the situation, player or coach. Who cares if the statement is generic. People aren't supposed to care about his statement after the kid leaves. It ain't bringing him back or changing anything.

Good ol' throwaway column I guess for Rand...need those every once in a while I suppose but it just seems so NFL-like where people overanalyze the most pointless things.

Top Bottom