NCAA Men’s Basketball Title Game Tumbles in First Year on Cable

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Variety:

A down-to-the-wire finish couldn’t save this year’s NCAA men’s college basketball championship game from taking an expected ratings hit as it moved to cable for the first time.

Monday’s 77-74 victory by Villanova over North Carolina averaged a 12.0 overnight household rating on TBS, TNT and truTV — down about 30% from an especially high-rated game a year ago on CBS (17.1 for Duke-Wisconsin), according to Nielsen. Compared with the 2014 final between Kentucky and Connecticut (12.9), though, last night’s game was off a more modest 7%.

http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/ncaa-mens-basketball-title-game-ratings-tumble-on-cable-1201745947/

Go Gophers!!

I could not find the game searching the usual and expected carriers. I stumbled on to it and saw the last 25 seconds. Not good.

I could not find the game searching the usual and expected carriers. I stumbled on to it and saw the last 25 seconds. Not good.

It was on one of the 10 largest cable channels, which had already carried the Final Four and about a dozen other tournament games. I'd say that's on you.

Too bad, that was a great game to watch. Ending was fantastic. Almost made up for the final 4 games.

It was on one of the 10 largest cable channels, which had already carried the Final Four and about a dozen other tournament games. I'd say that's on you.

TBS? Who would have thought of that?? Guess I should have know better that such a giant of a network as TBS would be covering the Final Four.

Maybe I need to search ESPNU, BTN, the Movie Channel and Hallmark next year.

One thing that kind of ruined it for me was having the TBS NBA guys hosting pre game, halftime and post game. Those guys are beyond awful for college basketball.

TBS? Who would have thought of that?? Guess I should have know better that such a giant of a network as TBS would be covering the Final Four.

Or the network that carried 18 games prior to the Final Four including four of the eight Sweet Sixteen games and two of the four Elite Eight games.

One thing that kind of ruined it for me was having the TBS NBA guys hosting pre game, halftime and post game. Those guys are beyond awful for college basketball.
x2 Watching Barkley read word from word from his notes is a joke. Those guys don't watch much college basketball and it shows.

They drove home all month that the entire Final Four was on TBS which is among the most watched cable/satellite networks and which is generally included in even the most basic cable/satellite packages. Had CBS not entered this joint venture with Turner Sports, it could not have afforded to keep the tourney. It would have gone to Fox or ESPN (with some portion of the event on ABC). Next year the Final Four and National Championship Game return to CBS which now alternates airing the event with TBS.

Maybe I need to search ESPNU, BTN, the Movie Channel and Hallmark next year.

I think you're a bit off on this argument.

Not sure if I had an alternative but it was way beyond annoying that I had the Tarheel feed. Can't remember who the color guy was but really tired of him bitching about the calls going against his beloved Tarheels. Also, the homage paid Roy was nauseating in light of his scandal. Frickin' hypocrites--glad that loss was about as painful as it can get.

Not sure if I had an alternative but it was way beyond annoying that I had the Tarheel feed. Can't remember who the color guy was but really tired of him bitching about the calls going against his beloved Tarheels. Also, the homage paid Roy was nauseating in light of his scandal. Frickin' hypocrites--glad that loss was about as painful as it can get.

Well you could have switched to the Villanova stream, or the main stream.

I believe the three networks were TNT , TBS and Tru TV

The North Carolina call was on TNT. TruTV had the Villanova call. The national call with Jim Nantz, Bill Raftery, and Grant Hill was on TBS which has the biggest clearance by a margin over TNT and by some distance over TruTV.

Top Bottom