Kevin Dorsey to Transfer from Minnesota

If there is an interested 'good recruit' out there.....sign him up.

Scholarships and roster balance are always moving parts. Eggs need to be in the basket this year.

Agreed, but we have had a lot of eggs not hatch over the years and too many eggs in the basket can hurt future recruiting. My limited connection to a past recruit with many offers suggests that the number of scholarships available is a factor in who they decide to get into the process with. Fewer scholarships does not help in some cases.

Agreed, but we have had a lot of eggs not hatch over the years and too many eggs in the basket can hurt future recruiting. My limited connection to a past recruit with many offers suggests that the number of scholarships available is a factor in who they decide to get into the process with. Fewer scholarships does not help in some cases.

Neither does losing.

If you have somebody that is worthy of a scholarship now, then you sign him up. If you don't have somebody worthy of a scholarship now, then you can bank it. We don't even know if the roster churn is over for this year, much less next year. I just don't understand the wait for '17 Minnesota kids philosophy.

Not shocked, but a little sad, really liked his speed and potential in the press, I was thinking his shooting would improve as he became an upperclassmen. If were just talking talent there should be some Power 6 interest. Maybe he can go somewhere like Georgetown, close to home and they seem a little down in talent. Maybe we give Sharp or a grad transfer the spot next year, adding a JUCO does nothing for roster balance, it only makes it worst. If we go that route maybe Pitino can squeeze three in for 2017. Plenty of minutes for Mcbreyer, Mason and Coffey now between the one and two.

He's not going to Georgetown or any place like it.

We have very little to lose by bringing in a transfer who has one year remaining and can play immediately. The Scholarship would still be there for our great Mn 2017 class.

No big loss, didn't really see much upside with him. He couldn't shoot nor did he have much court vision for a point guard.

Have a good shot at having 3 scholarships for 2017 now, if we need them.

He's not going to Georgetown or any place like it.

Why not? He was a 4 star recruit, had offers from Creighton, Maryland, Ole Miss, Nebraska, SMU, VCU, Virginia Tech, and West Virginia. In a time where guys accused of rape can still find a landing spot after being booted off the team, I think there will be plenty of coaches who won't see an accidentally leaked sex tape as an unforgivable transgression.

Wow! That took everybody by surprise... who has been living in a cave for the last nine months. smh

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

There could also have been academic issues with Dorsey that we are not privy to.
... that could have been caused by too much time on Twitter????

On the risk of shocking jolts to the program in recent decades, this barely registers. It's only mildly surprising due to the news last week. I think he would still have been a nice player. But we've shaken off far worse.

I tend to agree on banking it unless it's for a grad player. Unless someone knows Gaston is leaving.

I couldnt not be happier this cancer is outta here.

I just hope Mason & McBrayer can shine next year.

What made him a cancer? Are Mason and McBrayer cancers as well?

How about being suspended twice his freshman year? It's been pretty widely talked about him being an ahole off the court. His Twitter account was also flat out filthy. Definitely not a "character" guy.

Easily the least likable freshman in my opinion.

How about being suspended twice his freshman year? It's been pretty widely talked about him being an ahole off the court. His Twitter account was also flat out filthy. Definitely not a "character" guy.

First suspension was due to academics, and it seemingly wasn't an issue after that, so that's not a big deal to me. Rashede Hageman and Al Nolen both had academic issues too, probably bigger than Dorsey, and they turned out alright. Seems like he learned his lesson and did what was asked of him after that. Clearly the sex tape thing was a bigger deal to a lot of other people than it was to me. Recording yourself having sex in and of itself isn't wrong, there are probably other athletes who have done the same thing, but didn't have their phones stolen and get their private photos/videos posted online, and so no one knows and no one cares. Maybe I've been living under a rock but I haven't heard anything about him being a dick off the court. I'll admit I haven't seen a Kevin Dorsey tweet in 5 or 6 months. I remember him retweeting a lot of stuff about girls and relationships, don't remember anything overtly misogynistic, but once I noticed that the vast majority of his tweets were not basketball related, I stopped paying attention, so I may have missed something there.

Too many Minnesota fans have this attitude. So, so sick of it. You want a bunch of choir boys in football and men's basketball? I've got news for you -- what you're going to get is nothing more than success in a bunch of second-rate and women's sports nobody cares about.

Minnesota has a bunch of pansies for fans, and it's reflected in the way our revenue sports are administered.

Too many Minnesota fans have this attitude. So, so sick of it. You want a bunch of choir boys in football and men's basketball? I've got news for you -- what you're going to get is nothing more than success in a bunch of second-rate and women's sports nobody cares about.

Minnesota has a bunch of pansies for fans, and it's reflected in the way our revenue sports are administered.

Exactly how many kids on the UNC, Nova, Syracuse and Oklahoma teams had multiple suspensions?

How about how many of the teams in the tournament had kids with multiple suspensions in a given year?

Equally ridiculous is your statement that kids are going to get suspensions. Somewhere in between is the truth, but your statement is equally ridiculous as the expectation of "choir boys".

"Suspensions happen" or something to that tune is something you say AFTER a minor incident that is the only one in a very well-behaved 5-10 year span with good character players. It is not something you say on the outset of recruiting. "Eh, if these guys end up being bad eggs, it happens."

The dream scenario would be that Jarvis is cleared, don't see that happening though.

Exactly how many kids on the UNC, Nova, Syracuse and Oklahoma teams had multiple suspensions?

How about how many of the teams in the tournament had kids with multiple suspensions in a given year?

Equally ridiculous is your statement that kids are going to get suspensions. Somewhere in between is the truth, but your statement is equally ridiculous as the expectation of "choir boys".

Syracuse had their coach suspended, that's not something that happens very often. I'm also not gonna look to UNC as a role model for not having guys get suspended for poor academics. If Kevin Dorsey were at UNC, he wouldn't have even been suspended. I would also say that all four of those programs, with the possible exception of Oklahoma, can recruit at a higher level than we can, so they can afford to pass on talented players with questionable character, whereas for a program like ours, taking that risk and having it pay off could be our ticket up to a higher tier of the conference. Iowa State took a handful of transfers who were kicked off their previous teams, and it paid off. Royce White didn't help us at all, but he was a great pickup for them.

There are successful programs which have guys get suspended. Mitch McGary at Michigan got suspended for pot use during their national runner-up year. Indiana dismissed two players for pot use less than a year before winning the Big Ten this year. Kenny Kaminski got suspended twice in one season and eventually kicked off the Michigan State basketball team in 2014, before making the Final Four in 2015. Eron Harris was suspended for DUI last summer. Korie Lucious was kicked off MSU in 2011 for pot use. Diamond Stone was suspended for our game against Maryland. Rasheed Sulaimon was dismissed from Duke in the middle of their national championship season last year. Hell, Trevor Mbakwe had his whole assault charge deal, and then a DUI in the summer, he was still a help to our team.

Maybe we've just been unlucky in that whenever we take even a mild risk in recruiting, we almost always get burned.

Why not? He was a 4 star recruit, had offers from Creighton, Maryland, Ole Miss, Nebraska, SMU, VCU, Virginia Tech, and West Virginia. In a time where guys accused of rape can still find a landing spot after being booted off the team, I think there will be plenty of coaches who won't see an accidentally leaked sex tape as an unforgivable transgression.

He's a 5'10 player who can't shoot, doesn't pass, likes to go one on four in the lane and may be a high risk academically. The video doesn't help but it is far from his biggest problem. (Brand name schools will take a risk on highly talented kids who do stupid things. He's not in that category.) He may have had interest from those other schools at one time but I doubt that he had all of those offers. He'll find a spot but I think that it will be at a lower tier D-1 program.

From what I've heard; no matter where Dorsey goes he needs a full-time chaperone.

Does anyone have Spike Albright's phone number! Time to get Delaney to lift Michigan's restriction on where he can play.

Or Maybe Sam Cassell Jr.? Forget it! It looks like he wouldn't help.

Don't have to be a pansies to realize Dorsey was a bleep-head. I like guys with edge on the court like Westy, this guy just seemed like a dunce.

I guess our buddy Pat was right after all.

Well, the good news is we had two nicknames for these guys. We no longer have "the threesome" but we still have "the Bang Bros".

All is good.

Well, the good news is we had two nicknames for these guys. We no longer have "the threesome" but we still have "the Bang Bros".

All is good.

+1. Also what would we do without some sort of spring recruiting to keep our interest.

Some people on her actually think Pitino can convince a grad transfer to come here and play backup PG on a team that probably won't make the tourney?

This loss is going to effect the entire calibration of this team. McBrayer will have to handle the point, which I have complete faith in him doing, but having two ball handlers on the second unit is always a huge plus. Now that McBrayer plays point that means someone like Gilbert or Buggs will see significant time at the wings, and that's just no as ideal..

Gophers have one PG on the entire roster. I don't care what people say of Sharp. He's not a Big10 caliber player.

Top Bottom