Kevin Dorsey to Transfer from Minnesota

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the U:

Dorsey to Transfer from Minnesota

Minnesota head men’s basketball coach Richard Pitino announced Monday that guard Kevin Dorsey (Waldorf, Md./Clinton Christian HS) will leave the program and seek transfer to another school.

“After discussion with Kevin and his family, we all feel that it is best for him to transfer and get closer to home,” said Pitino. “We wish Kevin nothing but the best moving forward, and will assist him in the process in any way that we can.”

Dorsey completed his freshman season last month, appearing in 26 games in a reserve role. The Maryland native averaged 18.2 minutes per game and totaled 178 points (6.8 ppg), 60 rebounds (2.3 rpg), 37 assists (1.4 apg) and 12 steals (0.5 spg) with six blocks.

Go Gophers!!

Oh sure - "We all feel that it is best for him to transfer."

Translate to English - either Dorsey didn't want to come back, or Pitino didn't want him back.

this explains the interest in a JUCO guard or maybe a grad transfer.

Please bank the scholarship. Give it to Sharp for this coming year, and then try to use it on one of the instate juniors

Please bank the scholarship. Give it to Sharp for this coming year, and then try to use it on one of the instate juniors

Or could try to get a graduate transfer.

I think this is the right move for both parties. Mason and McBrayer (better not transfer) are ahead of him on the depth chart and then there is the issue of the suspension(s). I think this gives a fresh start for KD and (hopefully) provides closure for the cell phone crap.

Good luck Kevin; wish it could have worked out.

Go Gophers!

No big surprise. As long as Mason, McBrayer, and Murphy all return, "'Saul Good(man)."

This will be a positive, assuming we bank the scholarship/find a grad transfer/give it to Sharp for the year.

If Pitino panics and signs another Ahmad Gilbert late spring special, then never mind.

Not shocked, but a little sad, really liked his speed and potential in the press, I was thinking his shooting would improve as he became an upperclassmen. If were just talking talent there should be some Power 6 interest. Maybe he can go somewhere like Georgetown, close to home and they seem a little down in talent. Maybe we give Sharp or a grad transfer the spot next year, adding a JUCO does nothing for roster balance, it only makes it worst. If we go that route maybe Pitino can squeeze three in for 2017. Plenty of minutes for Mcbreyer, Mason and Coffey now between the one and two.

Release sure reads different than a lot of other transfer ones I've seen. Would be nice to find a grad transfer so we have the scholarship in 2017 again. I do think it would be pretty risky to not add another PG for next season. Really would be nice if the U of M doctors would clear Jarvis and he could fill the backup PG spot.

This will be a positive, assuming we bank the scholarship/find a grad transfer/give it to Sharp for the year.

If Pitino panics and signs another Ahmad Gilbert late spring special, then never mind.

Hm, I think Gilbert will end up being a pretty decent player. But to each their own.

I don't think this is much of a surprise. Hopefully, its just him.

I'll take Ahmad over some of the crap from previous springs. Also Murphy was a late spring special, beat out Oregon and IU for him

Dorsey literally f**ked himself off the team. We keep losing athletes for the most amazing reasons.

Not shocked, but a little sad, really liked his speed and potential in the press, I was thinking his shooting would improve as he became an upperclassmen. If were just talking talent there should be some Power 6 interest. Maybe he can go somewhere like Georgetown, close to home and they seem a little down in talent. Maybe we give Sharp or a grad transfer the spot next year, adding a JUCO does nothing for roster balance, it only makes it worst. If we go that route maybe Pitino can squeeze three in for 2017. Plenty of minutes for Mcbreyer, Mason and Coffey now between the one and two.

I'm with you. I loved that he wasn't afraid to defend, and you can't teach his speed and explosiveness.

Reading between the lines of "it is best for him to transfer and get closer to home," I read that his family had a lot to do with his decision. I suspect they want to be able to keep a closer eye on him and be there for him.

How many transfers does this make in the last 3 years anyway.....

Dorsey literally f**ked himself off the team. We keep losing athletes for the most amazing reasons.

Personally I don't think it's related to the Twitter incident, or at least that's not the only reason he's leaving. He wasn't kicked off the team for it, he was allowed to come back, which I think was the right decision. At most, I'd say it was merely a symptom of another problem, maybe he can't handle the freedom that comes with going to school relatively far away from home, maybe he's made other questionable decisions, I don't know. He was the most highly rated recruit in our 2015 class, and it looked like he might be backup, likely a pretty good backup, for the near future, and maybe he wanted a bigger role. I'm disappointed because I think he would have been at the very least a solid 6th or 7th man for the next three years. Also a little surprised because I swear some of the reports that came out straight up said that he, McBrayer, and Mason would all be back next year for sure.

I do enjoy following basketball recruiting though, and I'm hopeful we can pick up an experienced ball handler on the grad transfer market.

I'm with you. I loved that he wasn't afraid to defend, and you can't teach his speed and explosiveness.

Reading between the lines of "it is best for him to transfer and get closer to home," I read that his family had a lot to do with his decision. I suspect they want to be able to keep a closer eye on him and be there for him.

Agreed. He hopefully learned a life lesson that perhaps included local embarrassment and I can imagine that if he has any regrets about what he did he also needs his family more than ever at a time like this. I wish him wisdom and success wherever he ends up at. My guess is that he still has a good college career and maybe even gets to teach some other peer of his along the way.

Personally I don't think it's related to the Twitter incident, or at least that's not the only reason he's leaving. He wasn't kicked off the team for it, he was allowed to come back, which I think was the right decision. At most, I'd say it was merely a symptom of another problem, maybe he can't handle the freedom that comes with going to school relatively far away from home, maybe he's made other questionable decisions, I don't know. He was the most highly rated recruit in our 2015 class, and it looked like he might be backup, likely a pretty good backup, for the near future, and maybe he wanted a bigger role. I'm disappointed because I think he would have been at the very least a solid 6th or 7th man for the next three years. Also a little surprised because I swear some of the reports that came out straight up said that he, McBrayer, and Mason would all be back next year for sure.

I do enjoy following basketball recruiting though, and I'm hopeful we can pick up an experienced ball handler on the grad transfer market.

He had at least one additional publicly "suspendable" incident beside the Twitter event. Who knows if there is more. I can't blame him or his parents for wanting him closer to home. If it's best for him, so be it. This will give him a year to sit out and mature some more before he plays again. I wish him well.

I'm on the grad transfer bandwagon as well. Someone who can play immediately and allow us to have the scholarship for the next year is ideal. If we're into the possibilities, it makes a more clear path for Wright from Champlin and John to come as a pair if that is what they are looking for.

As I mentioned in my post, he was welcomed back to the team afterward, so it would seem he is not being kicked off the team because a lewd video of him was posted online without his consent.

Is there a list of eligible grad transfers anywhere?

I'm on the grad transfer bandwagon as well. Someone who can play immediately and allow us to have the scholarship for the next year is ideal. If we're into the possibilities, it makes a more clear path for Wright from Champlin and John to come as a pair if that is what they are looking for.

If there is an interested 'good recruit' out there.....sign him up.

Scholarships and roster balance are always moving parts. Eggs need to be in the basket this year.

Top Bottom