Who is your Gophers AD prediction? Beth Goetz vs The Field

Who are you betting on, Beth Goetz or The Field?

• Beth Goetz

Votes: 10 29.4%
  • The Field

Votes: 24 70.6%

• Total voters

El Amin Fan

Reaction score
Who are you betting on, Beth Goetz or The Field?

No way Goetz gets the job. Why pay $150k to a search firm only to hire Goetz? I realize the argument exists that the search could reveal that Goetz is in fact the best candidate for the job. But the negative backlash of wasting $150k seems more than enough to tip the scale towards the field.

I'll go with the field, and I say that as someone who has nothing against Goetz.

If there was any inkling (from Kaler) that she would be the clear choice this spring/summer, either Pitino and/or Lucia would be gone by now. Certainly both Pitino and Lucia benefited from the uncertainty in the athletic department, moreso Lucia. Much more likely not to get fired if there's an interim AD. They get at least another year to prove themselves (presumably under a new regime not headed by Goetz). Am fine with that, but the heat rises on the men's BB & hockey programs in 2016-17 with a new full-time AD in place. Football, too, with a soft schedule built for success.

Went with the field.

Nothing against Goetz. Have no clue if she would be a good AD or not. From what I have read she does have support within the administration. If she is hired I hope the whole search firm and committee panel simply wasn't all for show.

No way Goetz gets the job. Why pay $150k to a search firm only to hire Goetz? I realize the argument exists that the search could reveal that Goetz is in fact the best candidate for the job. But the negative backlash of wasting $150k seems more than enough to tip the scale towards the field.
A) To make it look like they did a search
B) 150K is chump change, even in our Athletic Department.
There are allegedly candidates who think Goetz is a lock and I guess it's scaring them off, so it can go both ways. The U gets criticized no matter what if they went out and just hired Goetz than people bitch about not conducting a search, if they hire Goetz or even someone else, the people that were going to bitch about cost are going to bitch, so the U might as well do what they believe is best and hire the person they think is best

Goetz. She's earned this sh!t show!

Went with the field.

Nothing against Goetz. Have no clue if she would be a good AD or not. From what I have read she does have support within the administration. If she is hired I hope the whole search firm and committee panel simply wasn't all for show.

I would go with the field as well for reasons listed above. In my experience, there is always an internal candidate who has support. Sometimes it may be because the person really is the best for the job and knowledge of the culture, etc. is helpful. Most times, though, it appears to be "the devil you know is better than the devil you don't." Bureaucracies are incredibly averse to change and the known quantity is almost always less likely to be a change agent. I want the candidate best able to make the changes in the culture that will result in winning with integrity. Should be easy.:rolleyes:

I'll go with the field, and I say that as someone who has nothing against Goetz.

If there was any inkling (from Kaler) that she would be the clear choice this spring/summer, either Pitino and/or Lucia would be gone by now. Certainly both Pitino and Lucia benefited from the uncertainty in the athletic department, moreso Lucia. Much more likely not to get fired if there's an interim AD. They get at least another year to prove themselves (presumably under a new regime not headed by Goetz). Am fine with that, but the heat rises on the men's BB & hockey programs in 2016-17 with a new full-time AD in place. Football, too, with a soft schedule built for success.

I think a big reason Pitino is here next year is because of the $7.1 buyout....but from what I understand that buyout is reduced in half each year....is that correct? I think it will be Goetz or Anderson...I'm pretty sure both would have a lot of support in the Athletic Department.

Certainly both Pitino and Lucia benefited from the uncertainty in the athletic department, moreso Lucia. Much more likely not to get fired if there's an interim AD. They get at least another year to prove themselves (presumably under a new regime not headed by Goetz).

About 11.5 months from now our new AD - and I say it's Goetz - will announce that Don Lucia is stepping down "to spend more time with his family" or some such garbage. Richard Pitino's job security will not be at issue next March as he will have led the team to a .500 B1G record and praise will be washing in on him from all corners of the midwest.

I think a big reason Pitino is here next year is because of the $7.1 buyout....but from what I understand that buyout is reduced in half each year....is that correct?

This is not correct. Per the STrib: "Pitino’s potential payment, like most buyout clauses, decreases each year, in his case by about $1.4 million each season."

So next year he still has a big buyout - north of $5MM.

Go Gophers!!

I think making a search committee and hiring a firm is too much indication that they are looking elsewhere. Plus she was hired by Megatoungue.

I think making a search committee and hiring a firm is too much indication that they are looking elsewhere. Plus she was hired by Megatoungue.

Pretty much sums up my feelings. She was hired by Megatongue. Through no fault of her own, that's not going to be viewed as a positive. Ditto down the road for Pitino and Stollings if there's a new sheriff in town and they have significant struggles in the next couple seasons.

Would like to see Mike Thomas, Commissioner of the Mountain West Conference get it.

I went with the field in hopes that the field doesn't include either Mike (deposed Illini AD) Thomas or Craig ("travesty bowl") Thompson.

Bob Stein

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Top Bottom