Roy Williams doesn't expect UNC hoops to get 'hit in any way at all' by NCAA sanction

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per ESPN:

North Carolina coach Roy Williams doesn't expect the men's basketball program to be penalized by the NCAA once it completes its Notice of Allegations into the long-running academic fraud case that involved students and athletes at the school over an 18-year period.

When asked Sunday during an ESPN interview at the NCAA tournament's Final Four about the chances that North Carolina gets hit by NCAA sanctions, Williams said he would be speculating, but "I don't think we're going to get hit in any way at all. Hard to penalize somebody when you have no allegations against them.''

NCAA president Mark Emmert told ESPN on Thursday that the Notice of Allegations against North Carolina should be wrapped up in the coming weeks.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bas...pect-unc-hoops-get-hit-way-all-ncaa-sanctions

Go Gophers!!

What a pompous bastard!

What a pompous bastard!

When you watch his interviews or listen to him speak, he's not the same guy as he was several years ago. Grumpy, short, arrogant...just a dick. He knows he's got a chance to win a National Championship and then be sanctioned and suspended by the NCAA.

Roy Williams = my guy Frank Drebin:

Go Gophers!!

UNC needs to sit on the NCAA Tournament sidelines for 2 seasons

My 2 cents.

I completely understand Syracuse last year (weren't going to the NCAA tourney anyways) and Louisville this year (also trying to protect future recruiting) threw their seniors under the bus, but the bottom line is they DID self-impose. For Louisville, especially, it was a significant self-penalty because it (like UNC) had a team capable of going deep into the tournament.

Because UNC did not self-impose when it should have (they darn well knew they had a team that could win it all), that more than anything is why they should get hit a lot harder. The denial & arrogance coming out of Chapel Hill (led by Roy) is sickening, and troubling as well. This stuff was going on back to the Dean Smith days, but they chose to ignore the seriousness of the institution's academic fraud and chose to pursue the Holy Grail, anyways. The right thing to do would have been to self-impose this season.

Because of its out & out arrogance and thumbing its nose at the NCAA and any anyone who dares question their integrity, I'll be disappointed if there is not a 2-year postseason ban for Carolina. Anything less -- and that includes significant scholarship reductions, a coaching suspension (like Boeheim got), and limited recruiting -- and the NCAA will be doing what everyone outside of Chapel Hill fears. ... giving them a slap on the wrist.

Not holding my breath at all, but I want to see UNC on the (NCAA Tournament) sidelines for 2 years, not just 1, or God forbid, none.

My 2 cents.

I completely understand Syracuse last year (weren't going to the NCAA tourney anyways) and Louisville this year (also trying to protect future recruiting) threw their seniors under the bus, but the bottom line is they DID self-impose. For Louisville, especially, it was a significant self-penalty because it (like UNC) had a team capable of going deep into the tournament.

Because UNC did not self-impose when it should have (they darn well knew they had a team that could win it all), that more than anything is why they should get hit a lot harder. The denial & arrogance coming out of Chapel Hill (led by Roy) is sickening, and troubling as well. This stuff was going on back to the Dean Smith days, but they chose to ignore the seriousness of the institution's academic fraud and chose to pursue the Holy Grail, anyways. The right thing to do would have been to self-impose this season.

Because of its out & out arrogance and thumbing its nose at the NCAA any anyone who questions their integrity, I'll be disappointed if there is not a 2-year postseason ban for Carolina. Anything less -- and that includes significant scholarship reductions, a coaching suspension (like Boeheim got), and limited recruiting -- and the NCAA will be doing what everyone outside of Chapel Hill fears. ... giving them a slap on the wrist.

Not holding my breath at all, but I want to see UNC on the (NCAA Tournament) sidelines for 2 years, not just 1, or God forbid, none.

Anything less and we should put our banners back up in protest, along with all other institutions who have vacated seasons

Anything less and we should put our banners back up in protest, along with all other institutions who have vacated seasons

Agree.

If UNC gets to keep any of its ACC titles/Final 4s/NCAA titles that occurred during the academic fraud (thinking most specifically under Golly Gee Roy in 2005 & 2009), our banners (especially 1997) -- in protest -- should be taken out of storage and hung back in the rafters.

A 2 year postseason ban still sounds way too generous to me.

Agree.

If UNC gets to keep any of its ACC titles/Final 4s/NCAA titles that occurred during the academic fraud (thinking most specifically under Golly Gee Roy in 2005 & 2009), our banners (especially 1997) -- in protest -- should be taken out of storage and hung back in the rafters.

+1. Complete with a ceremony and Clem there to celebrate it.

Agree.

+1

My 2 cents.

Because of its out & out arrogance and thumbing its nose at the NCAA and any anyone who dares question their integrity, I'll be disappointed if there is not a 2-year postseason ban for Carolina. Anything less -- and that includes significant scholarship reductions, a coaching suspension (like Boeheim got), and limited recruiting -- and the NCAA will be doing what everyone outside of Chapel Hill fears. ... giving them a slap on the wrist.

This all makes way too much sense which is why the NCAA will probably do very little. Maybe they'll surprise me but I'm not too hopeful.

Someone posted on facebook an article about this situation and they reference the MN sanctions in it. I can't seem to find it but will if I come across it again.

This inequitable treatment of violations from one school to the next is what makes me want to go to the NCAA's headquarters and take a hostage. And this particular response from the NCAA to a lawsuit brought by North Carolina athletes is why I think UNC is ultimately going to skate on these charges:

In its response, the NCAA says it has no legal responsibility "to ensure the academic integrity of the courses offered to student-athletes at its member institutions."

I agree, if that's how they want to play, then put the Final Four and Big Ten Champs banners back up in the Barn.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/04/01/sport/ncaa-response-to-lawsuit/

I think the article just left off the rest of his statement:

"We're North Carolina, one of THE big time programs. We can't be sanctioned.

Do we look like Minnesota to you?"

My 2 cents.

The idea that self imposing a penalty somehow should lessen the penalties s a result of the "investigation", if any, screams BS. For UNC or anyone.

Post season bans, recruiting restrictions, scholly reductions, etc should all be there for UNC. The WORST academic fraud of all time.

Waiting.....

The idea that self imposing a penalty somehow should lessen the penalties s a result of the "investigation", if any, screams BS. For UNC or anyone.

Post season bans, recruiting restrictions, scholly reductions, etc should all be there for UNC. The WORST academic fraud of all time.

Waiting.....

Don't hold your breath. I don't have the will or energy to look it up, but I recall the "vacated games" part of the penalty in our situation being tied to ineligible players in the game. All games in which a player who would have been ineligible played were vacated. The same should be in place here. It may take some work calculating how many players getting fraudulent grades in those fake classes would still be eligible, but they owe it to the university and the sports community to figure it out. I suppose there may have been a few who took those classes that may have still been eligible, but I doubt it.

The bottom line is that there is likely to be a lot of players who played in a lot of games that they should not have played in, and thus a lot of vacated games.

Thanks for the link. Really thorough. If the '05 championship is not vacated, something is seriously wrong. The one creating the fake classes went out of her way to disguise them as "non" independent study courses in order to keep the academics off the trail. If that isn't Gangelhoff II I don't know what is. She did it specifically to keep players eligible and thus giving UNC an advantage.

Roy is full of it. I smell resignation before penalties come down. He really looked miserable physically in the press conference.

I say UNC should get a three year ban and lost scholarships in all involved sports except hockey, which they will be forced to establish and play all the NCAA tournament teams from this year!

I think the article just left off the rest of his statement:

"We're North Carolina, one of THE big time programs. We can't be sanctioned.

Do we look like Minnesota to you?"

Yep, big time programs never get sanctioned. Syracuse basketball, Ohio State football, USC football, Penn State football, Kansas basketball, UConn basketball, Miami football, Ohio State basketball, Arizona basketball: all of these are minor programs

justthefacts -- I would first say this was a joke, even if a bad one. But the kernel of truth behind is that the NCAA is, at the very least, inconsistent. And depending on how you interpret their past actions, can be accused of having favorites.

I’m relying on my memory, but I recall both Duke incidents being fairly clear with Magette documented to have gotten money and Duhon’s family-member getting a job through a booster. No action was taken.

On the flip side, Memphis had to vacate a season on what boiled down to a “he said, he said” between Rose and a less than reputable witness.

UNC can have a wide ranging academic scandal which will result in a very different outcome from Minnesota’s scandal.

I say UNC should get a three year ban and lost scholarships in all involved sports except hockey, which they will be forced to establish and play all the NCAA tournament teams from this year!

I'd vote for this!!

What I'd like to see, what I could live with

Specifically here's what I'd like to see:

(1) 2-year postseason ban, and that includes the ACC not allowing Tar Heels to play in the ACC Tournament;

(2) 2005 and 2009 (more so 2005) seasons/banners vacated;

(3) Multiple scholarship reductions (3) for two seasons (representing the number of national titles won under Roy)

(4) Roy suspended for at least half of the 2016-17 ACC schedule; and

(5) An institutional fine reaching 7 figures.

All those not likely to happen. As a non-UNC fan, what I could live with?

(1) 2-year postseason ban;

(2) 2005 season and championship(s) vacated. 2005 seems to be the obvious season where most of this crap was hitting the fan. I want at least that title stripped & not recognized, admittedly because I'm a Gopher fan, and, you know, 1997. ...

NCAA levying more allegations against UNC. I'm sure many will view this as the NCAA dragging its feet, though.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebas...-notice-from-the-ncaa-heres-what-happens-next

BTW, with regard to Duke and Maggette, the facts presented above are incorrect. Myron Piggie was some sort of AAU guy who paid several players, with Maggette being the only one who eventually went to Duke. Piggie was not a Duke booster and the payment occurred before Maggette even committed to Duke. None of the others schools at which the players who got paid eventually played got punished either because the NCAA determined that it was not the schools' responsibility to have prevented those payments or even to have been aware of them.

NCAA levying more allegations against UNC. I'm sure many will view this as the NCAA dragging its feet, though.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebas...-notice-from-the-ncaa-heres-what-happens-next

BTW, with regard to Duke and Maggette, the facts presented above are incorrect. Myron Piggie was some sort of AAU guy who paid several players, with Maggette being the only one who eventually went to Duke. Piggie was not a Duke booster and the payment occurred before Maggette even committed to Duke. None of the others schools at which the players who got paid eventually played got punished either because the NCAA determined that it was not the schools' responsibility to have prevented those payments or even to have been aware of them.

You are correct. If I remember correctly there were at least 2 other guys who got money from him that went on to play D1 basketball. One played at Oklahoma State and I can't remember the other. I want to say Kansas State, but that might be wrong. Either way, none of the schools that those players went to were punished either. Wasn't just Duke.

Top Bottom