What might have been.

Reaction score
In his first year Eric Musselman leads Nevada Wolf Pack to the CBI Championship over Morehead State in a best of 3 series. The game was on ESPNU in Reno and played before a packed house. He did it with just 7 scholarship players and starting two freshmen. He brought back his dad's pre-game warmup show and has turned the town of Reno into a basketball frenzy. As reported in both the Pioneer Press and Strib, Musselman was next in line for an interview if they hadn't hired Pitino. What might have been....?

Ummmm NIT > CBI. Let's aim a little higher than second and third tier tournaments.

Ummmm NIT > CBI. Let's aim a little higher than second and third tier tournaments.

Methinks he was pointing out a good coaching job by Musselman, not longing for a CBI title. I saw pieces of all three of the CBI finals games and the games were entertaining and competitive, if not perfectly played. I think Muss has a nice future in college coaching if he can prove he can recruit. The ball trick warm-up is the perfect schtick for a team that needs to get butts in the seats. I'd love to see it back in the Barn.

Methinks he was pointing out a good coaching job by Musselman, not longing for a CBI title. I saw pieces of all three of the CBI finals games and the games were entertaining and competitive, if not perfectly played. I think Muss has a nice future in college coaching if he can prove he can recruit. The ball trick warm-up is the perfect schtick for a team that needs to get butts in the seats. I'd love to see it back in the Barn.
I would say Pitino had a similar situation at FIU and got them to the Conference title game, while upsetting the top seep in the semi's. He also did a good job of scraping together a roster here in year one and winning the NIT. After a disappointing year two, personally I am more frustrated about that team than last year, and then pressing the red button for year three, it seems like he has a roster that can compete in the Big ten heading into year four. Good for Musselman and the Wolfpack I hope they do well and it would be fun to do a home and home or 2 for 1 with them, but I like our coach and I like the way his recruiting is trending and I am looking forward to the next two years with this current group.

Musselman probably learned a lot about recruiting from pops.

has turned the town of Reno into a basketball frenzy

I'm sure a school that had three second-round appearances (one Sweet 16) in the last 12 years is just all atwitter over their CBI championship.

I'm sure a school that had three second-round appearances (one Sweet 16) in the last 12 years is just all atwitter over their CBI championship.

Hard to argue with that. Can't believe they are thrilled about the tourney, but the fans they have certainly appreciated the extra victories. We have family out there and go out nearly every year. Means I read the Reno paper online often and it would be fair to say that Musselman has a lot of support out there.

It's a town full of transplants, so the number of true UNR fans would be hard to pinpoint. The ones that are fans have a lot of faith that little Muss will get them back to the NCAA. Though first he's gotta replace a couple of Assistant Coaches.

He brought back his dad's pre-game warmup show and has turned the town of Reno into a basketball frenzy.

What's Villanova's pre-game warm up, and how many victories did that lead to this past year?

I'll hang up and listen.

That could also be written as "I'm sure a school that hasn't been to the NCAA Tournament since 2007"...

This town got pretty excited about NIT runs in 1993 (3 years after an Elite Eight) and 1999 (1 year after a "Final Four").

It happens. Arena looks pretty darn full......https://youtu.be/OD4nR_VsRek?t=2m28s

That could also be written as "I'm sure a school that hasn't been to the NCAA Tournament since 2007"...

This town got pretty excited about NIT runs in 1993 (3 years after an Elite Eight) and 1999 (1 year after a "Final Four").

It happens. Arena looks pretty darn full......https://youtu.be/OD4nR_VsRek?t=2m28s

I'm sure that they prefer it to winning single-digit games and missing the postseason altogether, but the implication that CBI runs are something to aspire to is silly on its face.

I'm sure that they prefer it to winning single-digit games and missing the postseason altogether, but the implication that CBI runs are something to aspire to is silly on its face.

Sorry....but a Championship is a Championship, and he did it with 7 scholarship players. I watched all three game.and the level of intensity was just as high as any game in the NCAA Tournament And for someone to say I would be afraid of the recruiting violations because of his dad is absolutely absurd
and childish.

Sorry....but a Championship is a Championship, and he did it with 7 scholarship players. I watched all three game.and the level of intensity was just as high as any game in the NCAA Tournament And for someone to say I would be afraid of the recruiting violations because of his dad is absolutely absurd
and childish.
Most of your post are absurd and childish ad if a championship is a championship than don't be a hypocrite

Most of your post are absurd and childish ad if a championship is a championship than don't be a hypocrite

And you know nothing about basketball. Here's a though, did you even watch the games? As W.C. Fields use to say : " Talk is cheap"

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

God damn his wife is fine as hell. For those that want to google, name is Danyelle Sargent.

Top Bottom