Athlon: College Football's Top 30 Running Backs on the Rise for 2016 (Shannon Brooks)

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Athlon:

Shannon Brooks, Minnesota

Minnesota has churned out plenty of standouts at running back in recent memory, and Brooks looks like the next star for new coach Tracy Claeys. Brooks made 12 appearances as a true freshman last year and finished the season with 709 yards and seven scores. He eclipsed the 100-yard mark two times, including 176 yards against Purdue in a 41-13 victory for the Golden Gophers. Brooks will share carries with Rodney Smith, but the Georgia native should threaten the 1,000-yard mark in his sophomore campaign.

http://athlonsports.com/college-football/college-footballs-top-30-running-backs-rise-2016

Go Gophers!!

per Athlon: 15 Big Ten Players on the Rise for 2016

Shannon Brooks, RB, Minnesota

New coach Tracy Claeys is hoping a new play-caller and direction helps Minnesota take a step forward on offense after finishing 13th in the Big Ten in scoring (22.5 ppg) in 2015. Jay Johnson takes over the offense after five seasons at UL Lafayette and inherits a few talented pieces to work with, including two promising running backs in Shannon Brooks and Rodney Smith. While both players are going to see carries, the guess here is Brooks emerges as the team’s No. 1 back. In 12 games as a true freshman last season, Brooks recorded 709 yards and seven scores. He averaged a healthy 5.96 yards per attempt and grabbed 17 receptions for 167 yards.

http://athlonsports.com/college-football/big-ten-top-15-players-rise-2016

Go Gophers!!

Both backs continue to impress me with their running and their blocking. Neither have a problem stepping up and sticking a linebacker on the rush and I love that. I hope we can get them both to 1000 yards this year.

Yep, we have a dynamic tandem. The big questions for are whether they can stay healthy (Smith's "groin thing" is not great to hear) and Brooks needs to work on his ball security. I have loved the kid since his recruitment but he reminds me of AP carrying the ball, in more ways than one.

Yep, we have a dynamic tandem. The big questions for are whether they can stay healthy (Smith's "groin thing" is not great to hear) and Brooks needs to work on his ball security. I have loved the kid since his recruitment but he reminds me of AP carrying the ball, in more ways than one.

I think the run game will be pretty stout...OL will only be better this year. Smith is practicing so don't think the groin thing is a big deal. plenty of time to get completely healthy.

Well, yes and no. If it is something like a sports hernia it will longer and linger and worsen if not rehabbed. Being able to walk doesn't mean it is ok to cut, different muscles.

Sometimes the old school coaches will push players to come back before ready leading to re injury. It is a stupid practice, and the players won't sit themselves, usually.

Really don't think he'd be practicing and reeling off long runs if he had a sports hernia...

Pretty sure after Hoke in the Mich game and Illinois coach getting canned, that's not happening with coaches. Players want to play but also want to be competitive. Yes they will play hurt and downplay injuries but usually can't hide them for long if their performance drops.

Top Bottom