Chip column: Give Lucia a one, maybe two-year extension with a minimal buyout

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Chip:

My two-cent suggestion: Add another year to Lucia’s contract, maybe two, with minimal buyout money and similar salary, which would give the incoming athletic director time to determine how he or she wants to proceed.

A college coach operating in the final year of his contract presents real issues, especially in a highly visible sport. It complicates recruiting, hurts morale and basically invites a constant distraction.

Lucia’s program is wounded, not broken. The failure of this season should provide a jolt to Lucia and his players, a figurative kick in the pants. If things don’t improve substantially the next two seasons, then make a change.

http://www.startribune.com/lucia-s-status-is-a-pressing-issue-for-u/373641071/

Go Gophers!!

Well we can't dump everything at once on the AD's plate. Something to think about.

Sorry Chip, I'm not sure how giving out a half-ass contract pleases anyone. Leave it for the new AD and Lucia to negotiate.

I know many disagree with me as I always stand up for Lucia, but I think he does a great job with kids who stay for 2-3 years. I love Gopher hockey as much as anyone and it eats away at me when they are not on top. I truly believe we will weather this storm and continue winning. The B1G will slowly get stronger (Notre Dame joking doesn't hurt) and the recruits look strong for the next five years or so (great list here: http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/hig...gh-school-players-by-class-march-2016-edition). Keep the Pride in Pride of Ice!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I know many disagree with me as I always stand up for Lucia, but I think he does a great job with kids who stay for 2-3 years. I love Gopher hockey as much as anyone and it eats away at me when they are not on top. I truly believe we will weather this storm and continue winning. The B1G will slowly get stronger (Notre Dame joking doesn't hurt) and the recruits look strong for the next five years or so (great list here: http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/hig...gh-school-players-by-class-march-2016-edition). Keep the Pride in Pride of Ice!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So why hasn't Donny signed any of the last 4 Mr Hockey's? Why are none of the next group of high NHL high draft picks from MN going to the U?

It is time for a change before the program slips down any farther. The U could beat out most programs for any player they wanted, that is no longer the case. NHL scouts say there players don't develop under Donny.

Hey, I used to be one of Donny's biggest fans, but it is time for a change. Donny should graceful retire as a legendary coach and let go.

So why hasn't Donny signed any of the last 4 Mr Hockey's? Why are none of the next group of high NHL high draft picks from MN going to the U?

It is time for a change before the program slips down any farther. The U could beat out most programs for any player they wanted, that is no longer the case. NHL scouts say there players don't develop under Donny.

Hey, I used to be one of Donny's biggest fans, but it is time for a change. Donny should graceful retire as a legendary coach and let go.

This is a sad but true statement! We used to have our pick the top Minnesota players and leave the rest.

This is a sad but true statement! We used to have our pick the top Minnesota players and leave the rest.

Agree to disagree. I see college hockey becoming more and more popular. The talent pool in increasing by leaps and bounds everywhere. Because of this, there are going to be more quality teams...more competition. I still say the B1G is week but we have won it three years in a row. I want more as well but I wonder if that is reasonable anymore.

Top Bottom