WBB: Gophers Off-Season Roster 2016-2017

Ignatius L Hoops

Reaction score
A tip of the headband to Ragnor (on another thread) for calling attention to the roster deletion of Josie Buckingham and Danielle Garven.

Because Stollings and Dawkins are not adverse to player movement, I figured we could use a separate roster thread for the 2016-17 off season. Presumably, at minimum, the open slots will not go unfilled. Teams are allowed 15 scholarship players the Gophers now have 13.

CURRENT ROSTER:

Barnes, Karley C 6-3

Bell, Kenisha G 5-9

Edwards, Jessie C 6-3

Fernstrom, Bryanna C 6-5

Hedstrom, Joann G 6-1

Johnson, Kynadi F 6-1

Lamke, Annalese C 6-3

Starr, Allina G 5-10

Wagner, Carlie G 5-10

INCOMING SIGNEES:

Hubbard, Gadiva G 5-9

Taiye Bello F 6-2

Kehinde Bello F 6-2

Jasmine Brunson G 5-7

Wonder what's out there? Seems like a tough situation if we're talking about adding to this year's class.

Wasn't Garven a pretty highly ranked recruit when the Gophers landed her?

Wasn't Garven a pretty highly ranked recruit when the Gophers landed her?

Garven was 86th in ESPNW's top recruits according to a few articles.

Next year's assumed guards are Bell at the point, Hubbard and Wagner with Brunson in the mix. Yes, Starr and Hedstrom are guards; but I'm assuming they will primarily battle for the four spot. So, I wouldn't be surprised if we see a JUCO guard added.

Garven was 86th in ESPNW's top recruits according to a few articles.

Next year's assumed guards are Bell at the point, Hubbard and Wagner with Brunson in the mix. Yes, Starr and Hedstrom are guards; but I'm assuming they will primarily battle for the four spot. So, I wouldn't be surprised if we see a JUCO guard added.

Any idea how good next year's team will be?

She runs a roster like Altman does for the Duck men. Minus the rapists of course.

I haven't seen anything official but:

Josie Buckingham's twitter says she is headed to Loyola Marymount. That's where Jackie Johnson landed.

I've not seen anything on where Danielle Garven will land.

http://www.twincities.com/2016/04/18/transfer-whitney-tinjum-will-play-for-gophers-in-2016-17/

As Maximus posted, Whitney Tinjum has joined the Gophers. Here's a bit more (Tinjum began her playing career at Washington State before transferring to Bradley):

Former Chisago Lakes High School standout Whitney Tinjum has transferred to Minnesota from Bradley, the U announced Monday. The 6-foot-1 forward is the fourth Minnesotan to return since Marlene Stollings became head coach.

Tinjum, of Stacy, Minn., is a fifth-year graduate transfer who will be eligible to play next season.

“Whitney has a high basketball IQ combined with a strong fundamental skill set,” Stollings said in a statement. “We like the versatility she possesses to play both inside and outside. Her ability to score combined with court awareness defensively will add immediate value to our team.”

Tinjum started 16 games and averaged 9.2 points and 4.1 rebounds a game this season and shot 75.3 percent from the free throw line. In 2014-15, she averaged 11.7 points and 6.1 rebounds in 22 games

http://www.twincities.com/2016/04/18/transfer-whitney-tinjum-will-play-for-gophers-in-2016-17/

As Maximus posted, Whitney Tinjum has joined the Gophers. Here's a bit more (Tinjum began her playing career at Washington State before transferring to Bradley):

Former Chisago Lakes High School standout Whitney Tinjum has transferred to Minnesota from Bradley, the U announced Monday. The 6-foot-1 forward is the fourth Minnesotan to return since Marlene Stollings became head coach.

Tinjum, of Stacy, Minn., is a fifth-year graduate transfer who will be eligible to play next season.

“Whitney has a high basketball IQ combined with a strong fundamental skill set,” Stollings said in a statement. “We like the versatility she possesses to play both inside and outside. Her ability to score combined with court awareness defensively will add immediate value to our team.”

Tinjum started 16 games and averaged 9.2 points and 4.1 rebounds a game this season and shot 75.3 percent from the free throw line. In 2014-15, she averaged 11.7 points and 6.1 rebounds in 22 games

She had a scholarship offer from Wisconsin, but it was pulled by Kelsey when she was hired. Hard-working player who can do a little bit of everything including making an effort to play defense though I'm not sure how she'll fit Stolling's style. Sort of amazing Chisago Lakes will have two Gopher players next year.

She had a scholarship offer from Wisconsin, but it was pulled by Kelsey when she was hired. Hard-working player who can do a little bit of everything including making an effort to play defense though I'm not sure how she'll fit Stolling's style. Sort of amazing Chisago Lakes will have two Gopher players next year.

I'd forgotten her Badger commitment. She wasn't alone. There were at least four commits to Lisa Stone before she was replaced by Bobbie Kelsey. Tinjum who moved on to Washington State, Heather Bowe who changed to Vanderbilt and later transferred to Iowa State and Nicole Smith who switched to Iowa. Mikailah Dyer actually became a Badger but transferred following her Freshman year. Kelsey's recruiting fell behind at the start and never caught up.

There was a nice article on Tinjum's 2012 Badger commitment:

http://host.madison.com/sports/coll...cle_84730fc0-178a-11e0-802c-001cc4c03286.html

http://www.lmulions.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/042016aaa.html

It's official: Loyola Marymount announces Josie Buckingham's arrival.

The LMU women’s basketball front line just got a whole lot taller. Head Coach Charity Elliott announced Wednesday that 6-5 center Josie Buckingham, a transfer from the University of Minnesota, has committed to continuing her education and collegiate basketball career with the Lions.

The New Richmond, Ohio, native will sit out the 2016-17 season due to NCAA transfer rules. She will be eligible to compete in 2017-18 and will have two years of eligibility remaining.

“We are so thrilled to welcome Josie into the LMU family,” said Elliott. “She is an amazing young lady who will make a tremendous impact on our team both in the locker room and on the floor. She has great size, runs the floor well and will have two great years to play after benefiting from this upcoming redshirt year.”

Buckingham will become the tallest player to don a Lion uniform since 1998-99 when 6-6 Julie Jarosz suited up for LMU. It is believed that she is also just the third player in program history to stand 6-5 or taller, the first being 6-5 Amy Lundquist (1992-94).

http://www.gophersports.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/042116aaa.html

Gopher Sports: Catching Up with the Gophers:

Bryanna Fernstrom: During the 2015-16 season, I am most proud of myself for having enough courage to transfer schools. I was very scared and I never thought that I would actually do it, but it is easily one of the best decisions that I have ever made. I am so much happier here at the U and I am so excited to be able to play come conference time!

Lamke: One of the things I’m still focusing on improving is my overall shape and fitness. Another thing I’m hoping to improve is my free throw percentage.

Joanna Hedstrom: From now until our first game of next season, I am focusing on improving my rebounding. I plan on getting stronger so I can consistently get more offensive boards, and I am also continuing to make my shot more efficient.

Barnes: My main focus is to be more effective, to play the best basketball I ever played in college at the highest level. Also to get a lot stronger.

Kynadi Johnson: Something I personally am working on is just getting back healthy and getting in better shape. I was disappointed I got hurt this year and could not contribute to my team. So getting back healthy and getting in shape is something I'm working extremely hard on

Well, we know Stollings has reached out to Mi'Cole Cayton, the top-100 player who was going to go to Yori's Nebraska but is reconsidering.

Well, we know Stollings has reached out to Mi'Cole Cayton, the top-100 player who was going to go to Yori's Nebraska but is reconsidering.

http://espn.go.com/espnw/sports/art...ing-new-home-connie-yori-resignation-nebraska

What thatJanelpick mentioned:

"The interest has been incredible," Gonsalves said. "It's been twice as much as it was prior to her committing."

Among the schools pursuing Cayton are Arizona, Cal, Colorado, Florida, Florida State, Georgia Tech, Iowa State, Minnesota, Mississippi, Rutgers, San Diego State, UCLA and Utah. See what he means?

Perhaps Stollings can add KG to the staff:

Cayton's basketball hero has long been Kevin Garnett, and she has a habit of pounding her chest after a big play just like the NBA star.

"In the sixth grade, I was watching a Celtics and Lakers game with my dad," Cayton said. "Something about Garnett sparked my eyes. I loved his intensity, the way he bangs his heart. Straight up, he has a passion for the game.

"Even though we play different positions, mentally, that's how I wanted to play."

Cayton got a chance to meet Garnett when she was in ninth grade. The Celtics came to California to play the Sacramento Kings, and Cayton and her father, Michael, had a connection that allowed them to take photos with Garnett.

Her nickname is "Baby KG," and her defense might be even better than her offense.

http://espn.go.com/espnw/sports/art...ing-new-home-connie-yori-resignation-nebraska

What thatJanelpick mentioned:

"The interest has been incredible," Gonsalves said. "It's been twice as much as it was prior to her committing."

Among the schools pursuing Cayton are Arizona, Cal, Colorado, Florida, Florida State, Georgia Tech, Iowa State, Minnesota, Mississippi, Rutgers, San Diego State, UCLA and Utah. See what he means?

Perhaps Stollings can add KG to the staff:

Cayton's basketball hero has long been Kevin Garnett, and she has a habit of pounding her chest after a big play just like the NBA star.

"In the sixth grade, I was watching a Celtics and Lakers game with my dad," Cayton said. "Something about Garnett sparked my eyes. I loved his intensity, the way he bangs his heart. Straight up, he has a passion for the game.

"Even though we play different positions, mentally, that's how I wanted to play."

Cayton got a chance to meet Garnett when she was in ninth grade. The Celtics came to California to play the Sacramento Kings, and Cayton and her father, Michael, had a connection that allowed them to take photos with Garnett.

Her nickname is "Baby KG," and her defense might be even better than her offense.

I hope she doesn't use KG's language on the court. His first or second year a T-Wolve we had courtside tickets. It was so bad, we left at halftime. He must have fired off the MF
word at least a dozen times or more.

No it's not a roster move but it's tangentially Gopher news. The Gopher coaching reunion (including Tubby) continues in Memphis. Danielle O'Bannion, whose head coaching contract was not renewed by Kent State, is headed back to Melissa McFerrin's staff. McFerrin and O'Bannion were on Borton's first staff at Minnesota. In November 2014 O'Bannion was diagnosed with stage 2 lymphoma. A year later the cancer went into remission.

Here's Charles Hallman's interview with Danielle at the WBB final four where she received the U.S. Basketball Writers Association's Pay Summitt Most Courageous Award.

http://spokesman-recorder.com/2016/04/20/former-gopher-star-prevails-cancer-threat/

We first met O’Banion back in the early 2000s after Pam Borton hired her as a Minnesota assistant women’s basketball coach. She was on the staff when the Gophers made their first and thus far only Final Four appearance in 2004, when they lost to UConn in the national semifinals. “I still have nightmares of that shot” by the Huskies, a three-pointer made late in the closely contested game that ultimately gave the winners a comfortable cushion against the seventh-seeded and pesky Gophers.

Top Bottom