Official 2018 Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Stories, Rumors, etc.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

All 15 players in Minnesota's class are currently ranked as three-star recruits in the 247Sports composite rankings. But it's been enough to put the Gophers at No. 19 in the latest national rankings on that site.

So, IMO, Joe implies the 3-star rankings are "enough to put the Gophers at #19" when he knows well enough the <b>15 </b>number is why we are ranked 19th at this time. Why does the media continue to present our team ranking without that context? Who are they trying to sell and why?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So, IMO, Joe implies the 3-star rankings are "enough to put the Gophers at #19" when he knows well enough the <b>15 </b>number is why we are ranked 19th at this time. Why does the media continue to present our team ranking without that context? Who are they trying to sell and why?

It is a good headline and eye-catching content to generate clicks, which helps justify their ad $$. Haven't really seen any media (local or National) provide the context. Most casual fans don't know, or care to know how the rankings work.

Haven't really seen any media (local or National) provide the context. Most casual fans don't know, or care to know how the rankings work.

And that's why. These articles are usually written towards the casual fan, not the diehards.

Just looked at the Minnesota 247 recruiting rankings. Jacob Smith is apparently the top player in the state (committed to BYU), but we've got 4 of the top 7 players in the state committed to be Gophers (Lance to NDSU, Alston still uncommitted).

Just looked at the Minnesota 247 recruiting rankings. Jacob Smith is apparently the top player in the state (committed to BYU), but we've got 4 of the top 7 players in the state committed to be Gophers (Lance to NDSU, Alston still uncommitted).

Anyone know where Alston is leaning? Does he have any ties to the U?

per Greder:

The Gophers football program received an oral commitment Monday from Rashod Bateman, a 6-foot-3, 175-pound athlete from Tifton, Ga.

“Well this day came a little early !” Bateman tweeted. “Blessed to announce I’m committed to the University of Minnesota!! #RTB #SkiUMah”

Bateman, who projects as a wide receiver, had offers from Wake Forest, Alabama-Birmingham, Southern Mississippi and South Alabama, among others. He is the 16th member of the Gophers 2018 class.

Bateman also had offers from Penn State and Virginia Tech, according to rivals.com, but told the recruiting site that playing football in college was his goal.

http://www.twincities.com/2017/06/12/gophers-receive-commitment-from-georgia-athlete/

Go Gophers!!

Clicks... whatever brings in the clicks.

But yeah once everyone else starts locking down their guys we'll drop.

per Joe:

The Gophers added a wide receiver from Georgia to their 2018 recruiting class Monday, when Rashod Bateman announced his commitment to Minnesota.

The 6-3, 175-pound Bateman, from Tift County (Ga.) High School, actually had reported offers to play basketball at Penn State and Virginia Tech.

In football, he had offers from Wake Forest, Southern Mississippi and Marshall, among others. He gives the Gophers 16 commitments.

http://www.startribune.com/georgia-wr-rashod-bateman-commits-to-gophers/428057843/

Go Gophers!!

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

I personally think it's made up and an excuse - but people repeat it often enough and it gets accepted as fact. If you're deemed good enough, coaches will find you. Chad Greenway played 9-man football in South Dakota, and Iowa found him. Bobby Bell played 6-man football at a segregated school during his first two years of high school, and Minnesota found him.

It's most certainly not always a "made up excuse." Maybe when you're talking about a school in the heart of St. Paul. Venture outside of the city in your mind's eye for a minute.

I grew up in an extremely small town in Western Minnesota, with a very good baseball program at the time. I was the catcher, and caught an unbelievable pitcher. He didn't have a college scholarship going into Legion baseball in the summer after our senior year (as 18 year olds). Nothing. We went to a tournament in Colorado, and played in the championship largely due to his pitching. A Rockies scout who was there watching a player on the opposition had a conversation with him and I after the game (my part was answering questions about him). Two weeks later he was drafted by the Rockies, and reported to rookie ball shortly after that.

He was good enough to play at any college in the country, including the U. But, he didn't attend camps, and we didn't have a coach who gave a lick about anything. Those that played in college got together and sent our own videos out to every college that would listen....and were lucky to play DII.

No, it's not a "made up" thing. It happens every year to high end athletes in various spots, including football. Greenway was a premier athlete in the Country (evidenced by his decade long NFL career...you're not talking about you're average .80 composite 3 star, here). If, for example, Aune played for Frazee, Mahnomen, or Ortonville, there is a good chance he'd be going to play for MSU Moorhead or Mankato, if he were lucky, and nobody would ever know his name or the difference.

Believe it or not, there are real people outside of the metroplex that you never know exist.

It's most certainly not always a "made up excuse." Maybe when you're talking about a school in the heart of St. Paul. Venture outside of the city in your mind's eye for a minute.

I grew up in an extremely small town in Western Minnesota, with a very good baseball program at the time. I was the catcher, and caught an unbelievable pitcher. He didn't have a college scholarship going into Legion baseball in the summer after our senior year (as 18 year olds). Nothing. We went to a tournament in Colorado, and played in the championship largely due to his pitching. A Rockies scout who was there watching a player on the opposition had a conversation with him and I after the game (my part was answering questions about him). Two weeks later he was drafted by the Rockies, and reported to rookie ball shortly after that.

He was good enough to play at any college in the country, including the U. But, he didn't attend camps, and we didn't have a coach who gave a lick about anything. Those that played in college got together and sent our own videos out to every college that would listen....and were lucky to play DII.

No, it's not a "made up" thing. It happens every year to high end athletes in various spots, including football. Greenway was a premier athlete in the Country (evidenced by his decade long NFL career...you're not talking about you're average .80 composite 3 star, here). If, for example, Aune played for Frazee, Mahnomen, or Ortonville, there is a good chance he'd be going to play for MSU Moorhead or Mankato, if he were lucky, and nobody would ever know his name or the difference.

Believe it or not, there are real people outside of the metroplex that you never know exist.

Cute. I grew up in a town with a population of 118 and graduated in a high school class of 12. Please tell me more about small town living.

Your friend who was drafted by the Rockies proves my point, even though you bizarrely used it to try to argue the opposite.

Cute. I grew up in a town with a population of 118 and graduated in a high school class of 12. Please tell me more about small town living.

Your friend who was drafted by the Rockies proves my point, even though you bizarrely used it to try to argue the opposite.

There are 40 rounds to the MLB draft, A free college education to play baseball is more valuable than a late round draft pick from a MLB team. So his example doesn't necessarily support your point. I do think that for a truly talented player it's not that hard to attend one or two open recruitment camps at schools you want to attend and get noticed. If your expecting people to come to your small town high school games and find you, your unrealistic.

Kids from rural schools like Perham HS (Logan Richter) or from teams like Highland Park HS (Josh Aune) need to get noticed by going to camps or visits. Some of these type of kids go unnoticed and end up blossoming at NDSU or other non-D1 schools. A notable example mentioned is Adam Thelen from Detroit Lakes.

Aune going to the Gophers camp and the Gathering in Chicago got his recruiting stock up. Logan Richter, it sounds like he only went to visit with the Gophers. It is not too hard to get excited about a 6' 4" 291-lb DT player who walks into the coaches' office. It is like a lunker walleye swimming right next to your boat! Correct me if I am wrong.

I sure hope PJF and staff conitnue to reach out to rural and non powerhouse MN/regional HS coaches and players. Gopher sponsored HS coaching clinics and the Gopher Caravan and other outreach activities post Brewster era go a long way to establish relationships and will help identify football talent that otherwise may have been overlooked.

Kids from rural schools like Perham HS (Logan Richter) or from teams like Highland Park HS (Josh Aune) need to get noticed by going to camps or visits. Some of these type of kids go unnoticed and end up blossoming at NDSU or other non-D1 schools. A notable example mentioned is Adam Thelen from Detroit Lakes.

Aune going to the Gophers camp and the Gathering in Chicago got his recruiting stock up. Logan Richter, it sounds like he only went to visit with the Gophers. It is not too hard to get excited about a 6' 4" 291-lb DT player who walks into the coaches' office. It is like a lunker walleye swimming right next to your boat! Correct me if I am wrong.

I sure hope PJF and staff conitnue to reach out to rural and non powerhouse MN/regional HS coaches and players. Gopher sponsored HS coaching clinics and the Gopher Caravan and other outreach activities post Brewster era go a long way to establish relationships and will help identify football talent that otherwise may have been overlooked.

+1000 Any focused effort by the athlete, his parents, or his coach can get a athlete noticed especially in todays age of camps, clinics, combines, and recruiting services for athletes. This is the way that recruiting is done today. Waiting for a school to come knocking only works for a few athletes.

There are 40 rounds to the MLB draft, A free college education to play baseball is more valuable than a late round draft pick from a MLB team. So his example doesn't necessarily support your point. I do think that for a truly talented player it's not that hard to attend one or two open recruitment camps at schools you want to attend and get noticed. If your expecting people to come to your small town high school games and find you, your unrealistic.
You do know that it is extremely rare for a college baseball player to get a free education don't you? Baseball scholarship allotments are very limited and split into partial scholarships to cover more players. Comparing recruiting for baseball vs football is talking apples and oranges.

I think everyone understands that kids from Perham, DL, insert small MN town outside of MSP here need to go to camps and they're much more likely to fly under the radar if they don't do so because almost no D1 coaches will see them

If I'm not mistaken, the debate to me is over is the coach essentially (my words not his) saying Aune was overlooked because of the school he plays at despite it being a public school in a big city less than 20 mins from campus.

I think everyone understands that kids from Perham, DL, insert small MN town outside of MSP here need to go to camps and they're much more likely to fly under the radar if they don't do so because almost no D1 coaches will see them

If I'm not mistaken, the debate to me is over is the coach essentially (my words not his) saying Aune was overlooked because of the school he plays at despite it being a public school in a big city less than 20 mins from campus.

Aune would probably be getting the same amount of offers no matter where he played in this state, especially at this stage. He's an undersized linebacker, Fleck thinks he can develop him. It's as simple as that.

It's not just about the town.

Do these kids have the same access to coaches and camps as many suburban players, for example? That's where most of these offers come from. It's about getting in front of coaches and recruiters, and impressing them. If that happens, they can go back and watch your film, no matter where you're from.

You say recruiting class rankings don't matter until signing day but you constantly bring them up 8 months before signing day. :confused:

I think you are confusing me with someone else. When have I posted that about signing day?

Aune would probably be getting the same amount of offers no matter where he played in this state, especially at this stage. He's an undersized linebacker, Fleck thinks he can develop him. It's as simple as that.

I actually think Aune is athletic enough to possibly stay at safety. I could be wrong on that.

Top Bottom