Official 2018 Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Stories, Rumors, etc.

The number is 14. It's very possible someone mistyped it into the teleprompter, and it was simply read as-is on air because nobody caught the mistake. Wouldn't be the first time that has happened in TV history.

I bet they confused verbals with how many OFFERS have gone OUT. Then again 145 seems too low for as many offers as PJ has put out. Might as well just drop leaflets from a plane... I'm just kidding Fleckies!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know. Perham was Monday. PJ left for Chicago on Tuesday after the Bagley stop (btw I wonder how that made the Coleraine folks feel, as well as Hibbing and Sartell on Wednesday).

He flew back after the Chicago camp so he will be at all of the Wednesday stops.

Can I please have an update on where PJF is now and when his next scheduled flight is? Thanks.

I know this is the Football board, but I will point out that Fleck is not the only coach on this road trip. The goal is to promote Gopher Sports in general - not just Football (or men's basketball). Yes, they are the major revenue sports, but the U of MN offers a lot of different sports. I know the Football team needs to be promoted to potential ticket buyers - I will just note that PJ Fleck is not the only head coach at the U of MN, and not the only head coach on this trip.

Can I please have an update on where PJF is now and when his next scheduled flight is? Thanks.

Time to stake out the airport.

I know this is the Football board, but I will point out that Fleck is not the only coach on this road trip. The goal is to promote Gopher Sports in general - not just Football (or men's basketball). Yes, they are the major revenue sports, but the U of MN offers a lot of different sports. I know the Football team needs to be promoted to potential ticket buyers - I will just note that PJ Fleck is not the only head coach at the U of MN, and not the only head coach on this trip.

Ya don't say??

What kind of a coach did you think we hired? He doesn't take scheduled flights...he is ELITE! Private jets take off when (and only when) ELITE coaches tell them too!

I agree. I think Fleck may be hard to say no to in person and that's why you get the commits on or shortly after visits, and decommits when they slow down to think about it. However I mentioned a similar thought on a different thread and got ridiculed by some fleckophile.

-
I believe Flektics are right in assuming we will have more de-commits than with the prior staff, partly for reasons as mentioned above and also because we are after higher profile players. We will also get a lot of push back in Illinois which every good program in the Midwest has used as a talent source.
I started as a Flektic, then when they went 13-0 and gave Wisconsin a better game than we did after almost getting run off the field in the first quarter, I decided to pay attention and see if this guy was real or Brewster II. My conclusion is that other than a high profile optimism, I see little similarity. One had no clue how to build a program other than recruiting four stars. The other talks about the whole process publicly much more than he talks about recruiting. Both Holtz and Brewster made me nervous when they got here; one was a real coach and one was a complete phony. My opinion is that Fleck is a lot more like Holtz than Brewster. Holtz was a whiz at throwing opposing defenses off balance. I have not seen that from Fleck, but the rest of the program reminds me of Holtz, not Brewster.

I believe the proper spelling of Fleck sceptics could be Flecktics or Fleptics but certainly not Flektics.
On the other hand, as a supporter of the current coach, I would prefer to be known as a Fleck of Gold.

per Greder:

After impressing Minnesota coaches at a camp last Friday, Aune was offered a scholarship and gave an oral commitment late that night. He is set to become the first football player from a St. Paul public school on scholarship with the Gophers since Johnson running back Thomas Tapeh in 2003.

“I’m completely ecstatic about being a Gopher,” Aune told the Pioneer Press. “I’m really willing to work hard and make some people proud.”

Aune was recruited by former Gophers coach Tracy Claeys and his staff, but his list of offers until last week didn’t extend beyond six Football Championship Subdivision teams: North Dakota, North Dakota State, South Dakota, South Dakota State, Montana State and Northern Iowa.

“It’s not to be negative, but if he were at a bigger school, maybe out in the suburbs, his recruiting — he would have had more offers,” said Highland Park football coach Dave Zeitchick. “We had to overcome those obstacles.”

Aune, who’s 6-foot-1 and 201 pounds, was originally given a two-star rating by recruiting services. He’s now up to three stars, the lowest-rated recruit thus far in the Gophers’ 2018 class. But his athleticism shone at the Nike Football’s The Opening Regional combine in Chicago in April — the eighth-rated player overall and second-rated defensive back.

http://www.twincities.com/2017/06/0...osh-aune-accepts-football-offer-from-gophers/

Go Gophers!!

“It’s not to be negative, but if he were at a bigger school, maybe out in the suburbs, his recruiting — he would have had more offers,” said Highland Park football coach Dave Zeitchick. “We had to overcome those obstacles.”

Is that really a thing, hard to get noticed in St. Paul?

I personally think it's made up and an excuse - but people repeat it often enough and it gets accepted as fact. If you're deemed good enough, coaches will find you. Chad Greenway played 9-man football in South Dakota, and Iowa found him. Bobby Bell played 6-man football at a segregated school during his first two years of high school, and Minnesota found him.

I personally think it's made up and an excuse - but people repeat it often enough and it gets accepted as fact. If you're deemed good enough, coaches will find you. Chad Greenway played 9-man football in South Dakota, and Iowa found him. Bobby Bell played 6-man football at a segregated school during his first two years of high school, and Minnesota found him.

I wonder if it is more possible to get lost in the wash when you're middle of the pack (at least on paper).... but yeah otherwise it doesn't seem likely.

Nobody is happening across Bronko Nagurski plowing a field anymore.

I don't think it's hard but I do think it's harder. It obviously isn't that hard, he was invited to camps, he had multiple offers and signed with a Big 10 school in the late spring of his Junior year.

That said, I think it's easier to get noticed at bigger schools against better competition. If you see a kid dominate Eden Prairie or Wayzata, it will stand out more than a kid dominating at a smaller school.

But you're sort of arguing against the point that the coach was making. The coach said that he would have more offers if he went to one of the suburban schools. His location (and really the quality of his opposition) made his recruiting process a little slower than had he went to Edina. Do I think that happens? Yes.

That said, we are talking about a kid with a Big 10 offer in May of his junior year.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

2* on Rivals.

Decent offer list inclusing IA St., Purdue, NC State, Cincinatti, Southern Miss, UCF, USF, and of course the coveted Western Michigan offer.

per Joe:

The Gophers reeled in their 15th commitment for the Class of 2018 late Sunday night, when Florida cornerback Shamaur McDowell announced he has picked Minnesota.

The 5-11, 185-pound McDowell is a consensus three-star recruit from Wiregrass Ranch High School in suburban Tampa. He also had reported offers from Iowa State, North Carolina State, Purdue and Washington State.

All 15 players in Minnesota's class are currently ranked as three-star recruits in the 247Sports composite rankings. But it's been enough to put the Gophers at No. 19 in the latest national rankings on that site. McDowell, like most players in the Gophers class, had multiple Power Five offers.

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-...owell-a-three-star-cb-from-florida/427963883/

Go Gophers!!

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom