Official 2018 Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Stories, Rumors, etc.

Congrats to Trey. Mn kids has been served well going to play football at NDSU. Five of them are in the NFL?

Trey Lance committed to NDSU. I pretty much expected it once Fleck said they were only taking one QB in 2018.

I might totally be wrong here but I predict at some point he decommits from NDSU and ends up at a different school. More than likely a school that hasn't offered him yet. Just a hunch. I think some other schools will still offer.

Oddly enough NDSU just posted about their 7 players in the NFL, five were from Minnesota - Billy Turner from Mounds View, Ramon Humber from Champlin Park, Marcus Williams from Hopkins, Joe Haeg from Brainerd, and CJ Smith from Burnsville. Players that Minnesota passed on during the recruiting process, but probably more due to the fact they were not highly recruited at all and individuals that developed during college!

Isn't like 80% of NDSU's roster usually from MN? I mean I'm just ballparking a guess, I could be way off, but it sure seems that way. They have a lot of kids the gophers past on that went on to have great careers. Hope Fleck can get the program to a point that A) kids from MN (and surrounding areas like the Dakotas w/no FBS team) dream of playing for the U (like Mayfield w Michigan) and B) A gopher walk on offer is valuable enough to consider taking over a FCS scholly. I know, I know. The economic ramnifications and all that. Just saying, it'd be nice. Blake Cashman is a good motivational story. I mean seriously at the end of the day the Bison have won like 5 straight national championships, Good for them, but honestly no one cares! Tells you about FCS football and it's level if you ask me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Plus... Fargo is basically MN. Even TV says so [emoji23]
I live in LA and EVERYONE thinks Fargo is in MN. Seriously... everyone. I weep for our school system.

Plus... Fargo is basically MN. Even TV says so [emoji23]
I live in LA and EVERYONE thinks Fargo is in MN. Seriously... everyone. I weep for our school system.

The TV series, "Fargo", is based in Bemidji..... Even Hollyweird is confused, don't cha knoooow?

per Greder:

Fleck was officially hired on Jan. 6, and his recruiting style and early successes have become hot topics of discussion.

After refurbishing the 2017 recruiting class in his first three weeks on the job, Fleck has set a blistering pace with 13 early oral commitments for 2018. The class has received national praise from four major recruiting services, which rank the class between No. 18 and No. 15 in the country.

“To get those number of early commitments before they’ve coached a game at Minnesota, that is a lot of trust from the kids,” said Allen Trieu, scout.com’s midwest recruiting manager. “I also think the caveat with early recruiting is that it’s still early and a lot of things can change.”

Fleck has differentiated himself from the Jerry Kill/Tracy Claeys regime in his willingness to go after higher nationally ranked players.

“This is the most times that I’ve seen Minnesota win this many recruiting battles for young men that have a significant amount of Power Five opportunities elsewhere,” said Steve Wiltfong, director of recruiting at 247sports.com.

http://www.twincities.com/2017/05/2...ready-changing-regional-recruiting-landscape/

Go Gophers!!

per Greder:

SOME ANIMOSITY

Fleck hails from suburban Chicago and was a wide receiver at Northern Illinois; he’s working to establish an Illinois pipeline. “I would suspect that they have some success there,” Trieu said.

The Gophers have beaten Iowa in recruiting battles for Oswego, Ill., defensive tackle Noah Shannon and Carol Steam, Ill., cornerback Tyrik Henderson. After waging those battles, animosity follows, Trieu said.

“I know that there is some chippiness between teams that often run into each other on the recruiting trail as much as those guys do,” Trieu said.

While the Gophers have a different philosophy, Iowa has an established track record. The Hawkeyes started 12-0 and went to the Rose Bowl two years ago, and their pro-style system produced four NFL draftees in April.

“Iowa used to be able to soundly beat Illinois, Purdue, Indiana (for recruits), and Minnesota was in that group,” Wiltfong said. “That is not going to happen with Minnesota anymore and, quite frankly, it isn’t going to happen with Iowa State anymore. … If they don’t win games at Minnesota or Iowa State, the recruiting wins are going to go away quick. But right now, they have their sleeves rolled up and they are recruiting.”

In the meantime, Fleck’s Gophers have put pressure on the Ferentzes’ Hawkeyes.

“What used to be layups for Iowa aren’t layups anymore,” Wiltfong said.

http://www.twincities.com/2017/05/2...ready-changing-regional-recruiting-landscape/

Go Gophers!!

per Greder:

SOME ANIMOSITY

Fleck hails from suburban Chicago and was a wide receiver at Northern Illinois; he’s working to establish an Illinois pipeline. “I would suspect that they have some success there,” Trieu said.

The Gophers have beaten Iowa in recruiting battles for Oswego, Ill., defensive tackle Noah Shannon and Carol Steam, Ill., cornerback Tyrik Henderson. After waging those battles, animosity follows, Trieu said.

“I know that there is some chippiness between teams that often run into each other on the recruiting trail as much as those guys do,” Trieu said.

While the Gophers have a different philosophy, Iowa has an established track record. The Hawkeyes started 12-0 and went to the Rose Bowl two years ago, and their pro-style system produced four NFL draftees in April.

“Iowa used to be able to soundly beat Illinois, Purdue, Indiana (for recruits), and Minnesota was in that group,” Wiltfong said. “That is not going to happen with Minnesota anymore and, quite frankly, it isn’t going to happen with Iowa State anymore. … If they don’t win games at Minnesota or Iowa State, the recruiting wins are going to go away quick. But right now, they have their sleeves rolled up and they are recruiting.”

In the meantime, Fleck’s Gophers have put pressure on the Ferentzes’ Hawkeyes.

“What used to be layups for Iowa aren’t layups anymore,” Wiltfong said.

Go Gophers!!

A part of me hopes Brian Ferentz reads the Pi Press.

GopherHole Q&A: Brevyn Spann-Ford Has Offers From Missouri and West Virginia, Talks Gophers and Recruiting
By Chris Monter

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/797077?referrer_id=331171

Brevyn Spann-Ford, a 6-foot-7, 235-pound junior wide receiver from St. Cloud (MN) Tech, is one of the top multi-sport athletes in the Class of 2018.

Spann-Ford helped lead the Tigers to a 9-1 record last season, losing to St. Michael Albertville 31-7 in the second round of the playoffs. He caught a team-high 62 passes for 977 yards and twelve touchdowns.

Gopher Hole recently caught up with Spann-Ford to talk about the latest on his recruitment.

Gopher Hole: You went to quite a few things this spring for football. I think that you were at the Michigan State spring game and were also at Minnesota. Where else did you get a chance to go?

Brevyn Spann-Ford: That's about it. I also visited NDSU a little bit before those and I plan on going to a camp in St. Louis soon, so we'll see how that goes. I might visit Missouri, maybe.

Gopher Hole: Did you get to a couple of Gophers things or just one?

Brevyn Spann-Ford: I did the second Junior Day and I visited practice.

Gopher Hole: Obviously, they have a coaching change since last year? What has been your reaction to the new coaching change?

Brevyn Spann-Ford: I like them a lot. I've got to be around Coach Simon a lot. He is a really good coach.

Gopher Hole: He is a Minnesota guy who played wide receiver. Is that appealing to you knowing that a Minnesotan can play at a high level?

Brevyn Spann-Ford: Yes. Definitely. .

Gopher Hole: What are the Gophers saying to you right now?

Brevyn Spann-Ford: Not much really. They just like having me around and get more familiar with them and their staff.

Gopher Hole: I think that you are up to a number offers right now, right. You have Missouri, North Dakota State, South Dakota, South Dakota State, Wyoming, West Virginia and Iowa State, right?

Brevyn Spann-Ford: Yes.

Gopher Hole: How about basketball? How many offers do you have for basketball? NDSU offered you last year.

Brevyn Spann-Ford: That's it.

Gopher Hole: Have you thought more about playing basketball or football in college. I know that when I talked to you last fall, you were undecided. Are you thinking more about that now?

Brevyn Spann-Ford: I think that I am leaning a little towards football.

Gopher Hole: Is that based on the number of offers you received?

Brevyn Spann-Ford: No, definitely not, It's just about what I like.

Gopher Hole: Do you think that basketball helps you for football in terms of foot work and running?

Brevyn Spann-Ford: Yes and it is fun playing with my teammates. I like getting out here in the spring and playing in tournaments. It's always fun.

Gopher Hole: North Dakota State offered you for both football and basketball. Have they even talked to you about maybe trying to play both or is it just too hard?

Brevyn Spann-Ford: No. I'm not really planning on trying to play two sports in college.

Gopher Hole: Are teams looking at your size and maybe the ability to put on even more weight to play more tight end?

Brevyn Spann-Ford: Yes. Michigan State and the Gophers both would like to see me at receiver, so it is all dependent on how my body fills out.

Gopher Hole: Do you think that gives you an advantage that you have the ability to be versatile and plays a couple of different positions?

Brevyn Spann-Ford: Yes, definitely. My school doesn't really run a tight end set. It will be good to know what the receiver position needs for requirements and knowing where to be.

Gopher Hole: Have you thought about what college football camps you might attend this summer?

Brevyn Spann-Ford: I think that I am going to go to the Gophers and Michigan State right now and I might road trip down to Florida.

Gopher Hole: Obviously, you have some good offers right now. Schools like West Virginia and Iowa State in the Big Twelve. What would it mean to get an offer from a Michigan State or Minnesota, a Big Ten school?

Brevyn Spann-Ford: I am just honored to play for a school and have free schooling. It is big for my family and all that.

Gopher Hole: What would it mean if you were to get a Gopher offer?

Brevyn Spann-Ford: It would mean a lot. Definitely, but we'll see.

Gopher Hole: I know that the Gophers have a few commits from Minnesota kids. Do you know those kids?

Brevyn Spann-Ford: I've meet Benny (Sapp) before at the second Junior Day and I've meet Logan (Richter). Me and Logan are pretty tight.

Gopher Hole: Logan also plays basketball as well. Have you ever played against him?

Brevyn Spann-Ford: We played him in our first game of AAU.

Gopher Hole: Your dad played college basketball. Is he going to be a little heartbroken that you are not going to be playing basketball in college or is he over that?

Brevyn Spann-Ford: No. I think that he is good with whatever.

Gopher Hole: What will it mean to play Division I sports?

Brevyn Spann-Ford: I just like the game of football. It doesn't matter what level I am at. I am still going to love the game the same amount.

Gopher Hole: You guys had a good year in football and basketball last year. You came up a little bit short of your main goal in making it to state. What would it mean to make it even further next year in either of those sports?

Brevyn Spann-Ford: It's definitely our goal to make it further in both sports and I definitely have our team's standards pretty high this year, so hopefully, we can make it there.

Gopher Hole: How about football? Do you lose a lot of your guys from last year?

Brevyn Spann-Ford: We lose about 10, 15 seniors.

Gopher Hole: How about your quarterback?

Brevyn Spann-Ford: He was a senior. (Chris Backes will be playing Division III St. John's)

Gopher Hole: Do you have someone that they are grooming that you are working with already?

Brevyn Spann-Ford: It is between a sophomore (Nate Trewick) and a going-to-be senior (James Kaczor).

Gopher Hole: Have you worked with those guys already?

Brevyn Spann-Ford: Yes.

Gopher Hole: What things have you been working on during the offseason to hopefully get ready for a big senior season in football?

Brevyn Spann-Ford: Speed and route running. Definitely.

A lot of talk around certain MN prospects and why the Gophers haven't offered. Here's PJ's take on in-state recruiting:

"We have 3 kids committed already which says a lot about the state. Where you find diamonds in the rough is in live evaluations at our camps. Doesn't mean I'm gonna be able to take every player in the state of Minnesota. It still has to be a level of...okay, you're definitely a Division I player and you definitely fit our scheme, our culture of what we do. There's some guys in MN who might not fit our system. We're not just gonna take the guy just to take the guy. He has to still fit our system and what we do."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbIcznJOvFc

A lot of talk around certain MN prospects and why the Gophers haven't offered. Here's PJ's take on in-state recruiting:

"We have 3 kids committed already which says a lot about the state. Where you find diamonds in the rough is in live evaluations at our camps. Doesn't mean I'm gonna be able to take every player in the state of Minnesota. It still has to be a level of...okay, you're definitely a Division I player and you definitely fit our scheme, our culture of what we do. There's some guys in MN who might not fit our system. We're not just gonna take the guy just to take the guy. He has to still fit our system and what we do."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbIcznJOvFc

Exactly as it should be

Family must want him closer to home, or he thinks he can get another star and get offers from some more schools. Who knows.

Isn't he from Chicago? Pretty close already I'd say. I think maybe he just wants to see if a helmet school comes a callin after they miss out on their target.

Isn't he from Chicago? Pretty close already I'd say. I think maybe he just wants to see if a helmet school comes a callin after they miss out on their target.

What about Northwestern or Illinois?

Top Bottom