Official 2018 Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Stories, Rumors, etc.

Much sadness within the GH community when PJ gets the 2018 5th best class in the Big Ten. Change is coming and the cynics can't stand it. I get Minnesota's brand of negativity but time to get over it. Even Patrick will be writing eloquent prose to salute the newcomers. The bandwagon has passed, many of you will have to sprint to catch it.

Wins. All that matters

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Where the hell did this Minnesota University trend start and how the hell can I make it stop

Where the hell did this Minnesota University trend start and how the hell can I make it stop

Why would a 17 year old know the difference, and why does it matter? I am 34 and I dont know whether it is University of Colorado, or Colorado University. Same with Missouri and a whole bunch of other schools. And no, I dont care enough to look it up.

Why would a 17 year old know the difference, and why does it matter? I am 34 and I dont know whether it is University of Colorado, or Colorado University. Same with Missouri and a whole bunch of other schools. And no, I dont care enough to look it up.

I guess why not just say "Minnesota" in that case? I don't think many kids are saying "Michigan University," "Texas University," or "University of Ohio State." Though it would be funny if a bunch of recruits started committing to Washington University only to end up in St Louis, not Seattle.

I agree it's an insignificant thing; it's more nails on a chalkboard for someone who has never seen the U of M referred to in that way before and is now seeing it pop up.

They can put them to shame, if they can close the deals....

Otherwise I could mail out offer letters too, doesn't mean much until signing day.

Agree, what will ultimately matter is who signs. But it is encouraging that they are aggressive. Claeys and staff too often cast such a shallow net and were left naked when a player went somewhere else. See DT for the last 3 years.

But I was told we aren't supposed to get excited about who we offer....;)

You aren't. Any school can offer whoever they want. Get excited when prospects start visiting and committing.

You aren't. Any school can offer whoever they want. Get excited when prospects start visiting and committing.

We have at least one visitor this weekend in Brennan Armstrong. And Junior Day is the 19th.

We have at least one visitor this weekend in Brennan Armstrong. And Junior Day is the 19th.

I know. Get excited for that. I know I am. Don't get excited because we offered. BFD.

Brennan seems nice but at the same time... doesn't seem out of the ordinary for the type of guys we typically get / offer.

If you judge aggressiveness by the ability to put stamps onto a greater number of envelopes.

The top programs in the country cast a wide net early, and focus in as the year progresses and the athletes participate in camps and their senior season. With the budget that Fleck & Co. seem to be working with, there isn't any reason why we can't do the same. I looked down the list of the programs that rated in the top 25 for 2017 recruiting and almost all of them have more 2018 offers outstanding than the Gophers. Michigan has offered nearly double the number of recruits than we have (170 as of today). But you don't see people downplaying that, rather they're lauded for it.

Don't demand a recruiting class that's better than Wisconsin or Iowa or Nebraska, or even in the top half of the Big Ten if you don't want to see the staff put in the work to get us to that point. Yes an offer is just an offer, but it gives you an indication of who to follow, who the program is interested in, what players they think they need, etc. Yes the Kill/TC administration offered high level recruits, but when it came down to it, they never closed. The reason you see people more excited now is because recruiting is such a heavily emphasized part of Fleck's philosophy, and he has shown that he's been able to go against other P5 schools for recruits and got them to sign within a matter of days.

The bar is set really high for this year's recruiting class and rightfully so. It's going to take time to develop the relationships necessary to convince any of these recent offers to come here over the likes of the schools that we're competing against. Extending an offer to the player shows that they mean business and want to be a serious player moving forward. Kill and TC had a practice of not offering many recruits before they actually had a chance to visit. This is a clear change in style from that and I can only see it as a positive for the program.

The top programs in the country cast a wide net early, and focus in as the year progresses and the athletes participate in camps and their senior season. With the budget that Fleck & Co. seem to be working with, there isn't any reason why we can't do the same. I looked down the list of the programs that rated in the top 25 for 2017 recruiting and almost all of them have more 2018 offers outstanding than the Gophers. Michigan has offered nearly double the number of recruits than we have (170 as of today). But you don't see people downplaying that, rather they're lauded for it.

Don't demand a recruiting class that's better than Wisconsin or Iowa or Nebraska, or even in the top half of the Big Ten if you don't want to see the staff put in the work to get us to that point. Yes an offer is just an offer, but it gives you an indication of who to follow, who the program is interested in, what players they think they need, etc. Yes the Kill/TC administration offered high level recruits, but when it came down to it, they never closed. The reason you see people more excited now is because recruiting is such a heavily emphasized part of Fleck's philosophy, and he has shown that he's been able to go against other P5 schools for recruits and got them to sign within a matter of days.

The bar is set really high for this year's recruiting class and rightfully so. It's going to take time to develop the relationships necessary to convince any of these recent offers to come here over the likes of the schools that we're competing against. Extending an offer to the player shows that they mean business and want to be a serious player moving forward. Kill and TC had a practice of not offering many recruits before they actually had a chance to visit. This is a clear change in style from that and I can only see it as a positive for the program.

Just acting like a top program, doesn't make you one, or necessarily get you there.

I want to be Steve Jobs, should I start by selling PCs out of my garage?

To be clear I have no problem with the net, but there's not necessarily an advantage to what we see now ... until PJ pulls them in. And if he does, it wasn't the net, the difference maker is PJ & Co's skill at recruiting.

To be clear I have no problem with the net, but there's not necessarily an advantage to what we see now ... until PJ pulls them in. And if he does, it wasn't the net, the difference maker is PJ & Co's skill at recruiting.

Isn't part of that skill identifying players early who you think would fit the program? When you're not Michigan or Ohio State or Penn State, you need to do a lot more to show recruits that you're interested and that you're worthy of them. That doesn't happen overnight in most cases.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Brennan seems nice but at the same time... doesn't seem out of the ordinary for the type of guys we typically get / offer.

You clearly aren't familiar with the typical offers that our QBs had during the Kill/Claeys era. I don't think Nelson, Leidner, Streveler, McKinzy,or Croft had another P5 offer to play QB. Seth Green is the lone exception.

But I was told we aren't supposed to get excited about who we offer....;)

Why would you get excited that we offer lots and/or highly rated guys? I find the fact you do to be highly amusing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom