Official 2018 Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Stories, Rumors, etc.

PJ said something about making a chart of the top recruits at every position, then a separate chart with the top within the local area.

I guess both charts all get offers.

Oprah is gonna be jelous.

Another one!

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
http://247sports.com/Player/Kirby-Bennett-80839

Wow, that is quite the list of schools offering...It just doesn't seem like Minnesota should be on that list, but we are already seeing part of the culture change that PJ will be bringing to Minnesota football. Getting people to believe and buying in. Gotta give him credit for not being afraid to offer to these players and believing that they can be successful at Minnesota.

I have already followed recruiting more closely in that last 6 weeks than the last 10 years combined. Will be a fun ride to 2018 Signing Day!

PJ will be bringing to Minnesota football. Getting people to believe and buying in. Gotta give him credit for not being afraid to offer to these players and believing that they can be successful at Minnesota.

He says quoting a croot who is predicted 100% to go to UCLA... ;)

Wow, that is quite the list of schools offering...It just doesn't seem like Minnesota should be on that list, but we are already seeing part of the culture change that PJ will be bringing to Minnesota football. Getting people to believe and buying in. Gotta give him credit for not being afraid to offer to these players and believing that they can be successful at Minnesota.

I have already followed recruiting more closely in that last 6 weeks than the last 10 years combined. Will be a fun ride to 2018 Signing Day!

I'm more amazed that he has 92,500 followers on Twitter. That's almost double what PJ has.

Huh? Kill and Claeys both offered plenty of highly sought after recruits. What does that have to do with a culture change?

Huh? Kill and Claeys both offered plenty of highly sought after recruits. What does that have to do with a culture change?

I think there's a crowd that thinks you just shotgun offers out there and you'll just get some... because or something.

If God really does favor Nick there we might want to put some extra emphasis on him....also why doesn't twitter just show a clear background when a pic has an transparent background?

He says quoting a croot who is predicted 100% to go to UCLA... ;)

Its a year before signing day... 95% of those crystal balls don't mean a thing.

Gotta love the never ending cycle of Gopher recruiting: "What's he doing wasting his time recruiting that guy, doesn't he know he coaches the Gophers?" followed by "They're never going to win with a recruiting class rated so low in the conference."

So we have 63 offers for 2018? Sounds like a lot, until I see WI has 122...

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Its a year before signing day... 95% of those crystal balls don't mean a thing.

Gotta love the never ending cycle of Gopher recruiting: "What's he doing wasting his time recruiting that guy, doesn't he know he coaches the Gophers?" followed by "They're never going to win with a recruiting class rated so low in the conference."

I don't care about the offers either way, I was responding to the "Getting people to believe and buying in." when as you say... there is nothing to know from anything in this.

exactly the recruit cant really say yes unless he is given the option to pick us. But keep things in perspective. We can give out 100 offers to 4/5 star kids and we might get 1(until proven differently) but that shoudl not stop us from extending offers. this is one area that the old staff didnt do a great job in. they focused on making sure a recruit gets into the area and sees the U before an offer is extended. Too slow for this day and age

Set out 100 offers and get one. 99% failure rate, but hey one 5 star is more than we've had in a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If we offer every 3, 4 and 5 star player, then on signing day if all of our signees are 3, 4 or 5 stars, we can say we got the guys we wanted. :confused:

If we offer every 3, 4 and 5 star player, then on signing day if all of our signees are 3, 4 or 5 stars, we can say we got the guys we wanted. :confused:

Step 1: That.

Step 2: Natty.

Pretty simple!

31 5*s listed for 2017.

http://247sports.com/Season/2017-Football/CompositeRecruitRankings?InstitutionGroup=HighSchool

I don't think any of those went to a MN level school who just spammed them with an offer...

I don't care if we offer folks like this, I just don't see any sure return... at all.

It's funny that of the 31 5 stars on that list more than half (17) are going to 4 schools. Ohio St, Florida St, USC, Alabama. Only 12 total schools represented.

It's funny that of the 31 5 stars on that list more than half (17) are going to 4 schools. Ohio St, Florida St, USC, Alabama. Only 12 total schools represented.

Yeah I think that says something about the theory of just offering these guys in hopes a one off might take it...

31 5*s listed for 2017.

http://247sports.com/Season/2017-Football/CompositeRecruitRankings?InstitutionGroup=HighSchool

I don't think any of those went to a MN level school who just spammed them with an offer...

I don't care if we offer folks like this, I just don't see any sure return... at all.

But that's not what Fleck is doing. He has a much better idea if a recruit is willing to come here than you or any of the recruiting services. He doesn't just go through 247 and DM an offer to the top kids through twitter. He talks on the phone with them and if there is potential mutual interest, he offers.

It's not a shotgun approach, it's an inverted pyramid approach. He starts out with a large group and narrows it as interest grows or wanes. You may think that we have no chance with these 4/5* guys but they aren't rebuking Fleck. His uniqueness might hit the right notes for a guy we perceive as out of reach.

But that's not what Fleck is doing. He has a much better idea if a recruit is willing to come here than you or any of the recruiting services. He doesn't just go through 247 and DM an offer to the top kids through twitter. He talks on the phone with them and if there is potential mutual interest, he offers.

It's not a shotgun approach, it's an inverted pyramid approach. He starts out with a large group and narrows it as interest grows or wanes. You may think that we have no chance with these 4/5* guys but they aren't rebuking Fleck. His uniqueness might hit the right notes for a guy we perceive as out of reach.

That's fine. I don't much care how he does it.

My response was to a post that theorized if you offer 5* guys and you get a 1% success rate (just because?) then you come out ahead because we don't typically get those guys.

Except if you look at those guys there aren't many, and nobody is picking them up just because they tossed out an offer.

As for how PJ does it, I don't know (I don't think many folks here actually know either), and he should do it however wants.

I'm not opposed to offering anyone or any numbers, just to the idea that if you toss it out there you'll pick up guys because of some made up odds.

You don't know their level of interest more than any of us. He might be offering only people with some level of interest, or he might be casting a wide net in the hopes that he can cultivate some relationships. You have no idea.

I doubt there are many gopher fans who have a problem with him making a few 5-10 minute phone calls or sending an offer letter in the mail. At this point that is likely all he is doing. Once he sees guys camp or in person he will likely start to focus on his main targets.

You don't know their level of interest more than any of us. He might be offering only people with some level of interest, or he might be casting a wide net in the hopes that he can cultivate some relationships. You have no idea.

Nor do you.

Nor do you.

Never said I did. I'm not the one making the claim. I know that I don't. He wants to pretend that he has some insider knowledge and that he's blessing us by sharing it.

So we have 63 offers for 2018? Sounds like a lot, until I see WI has 122...

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

I wonder if there are people on the Badger boards complaining about it......

Fleck is making offers to football players who he feels have the appropriate athletic abilities to comprise the 2018 Gopher Football recruiting class.

Let's leave it at that.

Top Bottom