Official 2018 Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Stories, Rumors, etc.

Even the big schools get decommits. If you are recruiting folks that other people want, that's just going to happen more often.

So as our recruiting profile increases and upgrades, get used to Jimmy picking our pockets. I guess we should be honored the great Harbaugh is even minding our pockets right? [emoji23] but seriously, it seems like if they wanted to the helmet schools could let someone else do their research and recruiting for them then just swoop in w a offer at the last second and the kid will flip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So as our recruiting profile increases and upgrades, get used to Jimmy picking our pockets. I guess we should be honored the great Harbaugh is even minding our pockets right? [emoji23] but seriously, it seems like if they wanted to the helmet schools could let someone else do their research and recruiting for them then just swoop in w a offer at the last second and the kid will flip.

Actually I was thinking more along the lines just that the more desirable recruits will have more teams pulling on them, but that applies to Jim's croots too.

Actually I was thinking more along the lines just that the more desirable recruits will have more teams pulling on them, but that applies to Jim's croots too.

More teams and BETTER teams. You're very right about that. Look at the offer sheets for the kids in this class compared to Claeys and even most of Kills classes. A bit harder to beat out Notre Dame than it is Toledo, for example. I think PJ can swim with the big boys, but he's gona have to do a few laps before he starts beating them with any degree of regularity. Remember back in the day MN was a helmet school. Shoot, perhaps at one time THE helmet school. I wonder if a) we can ever get back to the days of glories gone b) if PJ will be the one to do it.no matter what it all starts w recruiting as PJ reminds us.

I'm sure it has happened somewhere, but can anybody remember a time where a player de-committed to us and then wound up coming back? I love how he says that we are still one of his top choices - I just don't see the point in announcing a de-commitment without a commitment announcement immediately to another school. I'll put my money on one of two things for this happening:

1) PJF had some concerns and made his previous offer not quite so definitive (I doubt this as he seemed to be a pretty good recruit).
2) The kid had some doubts and/or new offers that intrigued him and wanted to go on some more visits - which PJF claims he doesn't allow. The player was upfront about this, and PJF told him he could go on said visits but that would open up his spot in the interim. This would relate to his "beyond his control" quote - as he would have preferred to go on some more visits while staying committed but PJF would not allow it.

I doubt it is academics because usually in that situation, if both sides still want to stay committed to one another, they just sit tight and put together a plan to improve the grades/scores up until signing day. Who knows, though. This stuff literally happens at every school in the country and we may or may not ever really know the truth.

It will be very interesting to see what happens with the early signing date(s). Signing an LOI is not like giving a verbal - once you sign, it's a lot harder to get out of that commitment.

But, to be fair, I can understand how it happens. a kid gets some offers, he maybe starts getting nervous, or his parents want him to make a decision, and he gives School A a verbal. Then, another school comes along with a 'better' offer, and the kid starts questioning his earlier choice. I don't think its anything nefarious. Just kids being human. When I was that age, I sure as heck didn't know what I wanted to do with my life, so you can understand why a kid might have second thoughts about a decision that important.

I'm sure it has happened somewhere, but can anybody remember a time where a player de-committed to us and then wound up coming back? I love how he says that we are still one of his top choices - I just don't see the point in announcing a de-commitment without a commitment announcement immediately to another school. I'll put my money on one of two things for this happening:

1) PJF had some concerns and made his previous offer not quite so definitive (I doubt this as he seemed to be a pretty good recruit).
2) The kid had some doubts and/or new offers that intrigued him and wanted to go on some more visits - which PJF claims he doesn't allow. The player was upfront about this, and PJF told him he could go on said visits but that would open up his spot in the interim. This would relate to his "beyond his control" quote - as he would have preferred to go on some more visits while staying committed but PJF would not allow it.

I doubt it is academics because usually in that situation, if both sides still want to stay committed to one another, they just sit tight and put together a plan to improve the grades/scores up until signing day. Who knows, though. This stuff literally happens at every school in the country and we may or may not ever really know the truth.

Andre McDonald comes to mind. I'm not sure if Jeff Jones ever actually de-committed, but it wasn't looking good for a while and he landed here.

I get the first one.
But the second one doesn't make any sense. If a kid has a dream school that he wants to play for, why commit so early to a school that isn't his dream school?

I can see it. Kid has a dream school but unsure if he will ever get a offer. If he waits too long to commit anywhere because he is waiting for his #1 school, his 2nd, 3rd, and 4th choices may no longer be commitable. It's easier to commit to best option early, then decommit if your dream school offers.

Andre McDonald comes to mind. I'm not sure if Jeff Jones ever actually de-committed, but it wasn't looking good for a while and he landed here.

I could be wrong, but I think McDonald originally committed to Vandy and then switched to us. I don't think he ever committed to us, de-committed, and then came back. Again, I could be wrong, though.

I could be wrong, but I think McDonald originally committed to Vandy and then switched to us. I don't think he ever committed to us, de-committed, and then came back. Again, I could be wrong, though.

Mcdonald committed to us, then I remember showed some interest in OSU when they offered but was still committed here, decommitted, committed to Vanderbilt, decommitted, then committed back to Minnesota.

It was a wild roller coaster with Mcdonald.

That's why an early signing period works to our benefit, The helmet schools cannibalize each other and some find it necessary to go after the 3/4* commits to schools like the U. To bad, because of the early signing period we already have them signed. Would to see Jimmy's face when he misses on a 5* and has to make another offer and the kid says, sorry already signed with Minnesota.

Mcdonald committed to us, then I remember showed some interest in OSU when they offered but was still committed here, decommitted, committed to Vanderbilt, decommitted, then committed back to Minnesota.

It was a wild roller coaster with Mcdonald.

Not sure we didn't get the short end of the stick on that one.

That's why an early signing period works to our benefit, The helmet schools cannibalize each other and some find it necessary to go after the 3/4* commits to schools like the U. To bad, because of the early signing period we already have them signed. Would to see Jimmy's face when he misses on a 5* and has to make another offer and the kid says, sorry already signed with Minnesota.

We poach plenty of MAC and non p5 guys too, some of which are pretty good for us. An early signing period means no De'Vondre Campbell's, Weyler's or Kamal Martin's of the world. We poached 8 of WMU commits last year. It works to our advantage when we snag MAC commits just as much as it hurts us when helmet schools swoop in on our guys. Isaiah Gentry is another that comes to mind who hasn't panned out due to injuries but was a nice recruit at the time when we got him. I'm sure there are more throughout the years that I'm forgetting that were committed to other schools at one point.

Detroit Free Press: Michigan heavy favorite to land top in-state prospect Jalen Mayfield

Next Tuesday, Grand Rapids Catholic Central 2018 four-star offensive lineman Jalen Mayfield will make his college decision, with Michigan considered the heavy favorite for his services.

All 15 predictions on Mayfield's 247Sports Crystal Ball are in favor of the Wolverines, who altered the trajectory of his recruitment when they offered him a scholarship March 24th, spurring Mayfield's decommitment from P.J. Fleck and Minnesota. He originally committed to the Golden Gophers in February after an unofficial visit.

U-M tackles coach Greg Frey has led the charge for Mayfield, who is 24/7 Sports' top recruit in the state. He is No. 6 on the 24/7Sports Composite. He fits Frey's mold at offensive tackle as an undersized (weight-wise) but athletic player who will thrive in a college-level weight room. Mayfield has helped his case as a top-level prospect in the past couple months following a strong performance at a Nike camp in Chicago. 247Sports Director of Scouting Barton Simmons recently made him the state's top prospect in the 2018 class.

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/c...-top-state-prospect-jalen-mayfield/326939001/

Go Gophers!!

David Alston of Woodbury was offered by Wisconsin. Already has a Nebraska offer also.

He's waiting for Harbaugh to offer so he can come in late with an offer and flip them as payback for Jalen Mayfield

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Trey Lance received his second FBS offer from Air Force Academy this week.

Current offer list:
Air Force
Northern Illinois
NDSU
SDSU
UNI
Brown
Columbia
Cornell

Because he's not coming to Minnesota, coaches know this, doesn't look as bad if you don't offer them.

This makes sense and explains why we have been so stingy about extending offers.

Top Bottom