Official 2018 Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Stories, Rumors, etc.

I hope it is more than just a free OV trip. The fact that he is coming for a visit speaks volume of how far Gopher Recruiting has gone and the perception of recruits about the MN program.

December 8 weekend is sounding like a Gopher Football Jamboree.

Is it strange that Alabama and Clemson each only have 11 commits right now? Seems like they would have locked down their classes by now.

Is it strange that Alabama and Clemson each only have 11 commits right now? Seems like they would have locked down their classes by now.

I hope they forgot the memo on early signing day or something....

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

tOSU and Bama don't need to recruit as hard. They do the poaching.

Most of the 5* guys like to play the recruiting game and wait until the end to decide.

Where's the "wow" emoji?

That's one impressive offer list. Just getting him to burn one of his OV's to come to MN in December is pretty impressive.
Yes, great offer list. Great size for a corner. I wonder if this means Taggert is gone to Florida State?

That kid would probably be the fastest in the history of the program...

He has Darren Sproles written all over him. 3rd down and change of pace back....yikes. He's like a video game out there with his change of direction and speed. You could easily split him out and play him from the slot as well. His skill set is most definitely something this problem lacks.

Does he want to play closer to home, or will he be excited about Gopher Football during and after his visit? The trick is getting him here and having PJ Fleck and the coaches do the selling.

He's got speed, good hips, and vision. He can shift gears and juke, and great straight away speed. I think he would great as a punt returner. Imagine him catching a pass from Viramontes and running. He'll be an excellent RB with pass receiving threat.

[video]https://www.hudl.com/video/3/2530474/599acec10dca790ca0cca870[/video]

Wow. He would be a great fit. Has great instinct for shifting and making holes. Nobody touches him on many plays. I hate to say who he reminds me of.... but not many RBs can make that many defense players just grasp for air. Would be nice to see how that translates at higher levels of play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wilfong just flipped Dunlap to Minnesota. That would be sweet!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh, this is just the beginning.

Is it just me, I am noticing how J Fleck and staff are very deliberate at attacking recruiting with a lot more speed and passion and are even getting better PWOs?

I have nothing against Jerry Kill or Tracy Claeys. But, they seem to focus more on hidden gems and developmental players and failed miserably to build and recruit the passing offense (QBs, WRs). They are recruiting to their system that they felt comfortable with that worked at NIU.

The new coaching staff seem to be fearless at going toe to toe with upper echelon programs for top recruits.

It is only going to get better IMHO.

P.J. Fleck set to visit John Waggoner Tuesday, finalize Dec. 8 official visit to Minnesota

Minnesota head coach P.J. Fleck is set to visit four-star defensive end John Waggoner at school Tuesday and work to finalize Waggoner's official visit to Minneapolis this weekend, Dowling Catholic head coach Tom Wilson told HawkCentral Monday night.

"I think there's definitely some mutual interest," said Wilson, who's been in recent contact with Gophers defensive line coach Bryce Paul. "And I think that official visit will happen unless something else crazy happens before then."

Wilson said Iowa defensive line coach Reese Morgan will also visit Waggoner at Dowling on Tuesday.

Waggoner also hopes to take an official visit to Iowa before he commits, Wilson said, adding he believes the Hawkeyes are still in the mix. He said his star defensive end spoke with Kirk Ferentz this past weekend and has been in contact with UCLA coaches lately. Nebraska has also emerged as a player in the past few days.

"As the new Nebraska staff gets going, he has had some preliminary contact with them," Wilson said.

Checking in at 6-foot-5 and 245 pounds, Waggoner is the state's top 2018 recruit, according to Rivals and the 247Sports Composite. He helped lead Dowling to a state-record fifth consecutive Class 4A title, with his 11 solo tackles for loss and five solo sacks this season.

http://www.hawkcentral.com/story/sp...ize-dec-8-official-visit-minnesota/921877001/

Go Gophers!!

I call December 8 an indoctrination visit. This will be a frenzied weekend. If you are a visiting recruit, how can you not get excited about being a Gopher?

Oh, this is just the beginning.

Is it just me, I am noticing how J Fleck and staff are very deliberate at attacking recruiting with a lot more speed and passion and are even getting better PWOs?

I have nothing against Jerry Kill or Tracy Claeys. But, they seem to focus more on hidden gems and developmental players and failed miserably to build and recruit the passing offense (QBs, WRs). They are recruiting to their system that they felt comfortable with that worked at NIU.

The new coaching staff seem to be fearless at going toe to toe with upper echelon programs for top recruits.

It is only going to get better IMHO.

I could be totally off base, but I always thought that beyond recruiting basics, Kill and his staff tried to find guys who could excel in isolated situations and that can work when you have chessmasters like Claeys and Sawvel running the defense. If you can't rely on getting top-tier recruits, it's a smart move to have guys up and down the roster who you can plug in to special schemes.

I don't totally trust the star-rating system, but I think one can surmise that Fleck is going after the more sought-after recruits and he's the kind of guy who could sell a werewolf a flea collar.

As previously stated:

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

According to dpo, Dunlap committing will not move MN ranking at all. :rolleyes:

Top Bottom