Official 2018 Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Stories, Rumors, etc.

Only Gopher fans worry about the on field performance being too poor for top recruits AND recruiting being too good for future top recruits.

Any chance PJ flips Alston? He verbally committed to Nebraska but some of their top recruits have just bolted due to the coaching change...and Nebraska got hammered by the Gophs this past year. Or is that wishful thinking?

Any chance PJ flips Alston? He verbally committed to Nebraska but some of their top recruits have just bolted due to the coaching change...and Nebraska got hammered by the Gophs this past year. Or is that wishful thinking?

We've been over this many times. Alston is not a fit as a 43 DE at the college level. He was recruited by the other schools to be a 34 OLB.

With Jason's commitment, here's the statistics for our class:
26 commits, # of 5 stars: 0, # of 4 stars: 2, # of 3 stars: 24, Average recruit score: 85.95, Points: 204.72

Likely a top 30-40 recruiting class by February NSD.

Not that there is a possibility: Any of these as later additions would be a pleasant surprise: Craig Williams, Taiyon Palmer, Verdis Brown.

We might not be done recruiting. I looked at the NCAA rules announcement and some of the analysis afterward, it's as clear as mud, but my interpretation is that the new rules apply to the 2018 signing class. There is nothing that addresses the 2017 signing class, signings that get counted back 2017, just might be allowed. I am not a lawyer, so take my analysis with a grain of salt, but there is a chance that back counting may be grandfathered in for this year.

We might not be done recruiting. I looked at the NCAA rules announcement and some of the analysis afterward, it's as clear as mud, but my interpretation is that the new rules apply to the 2018 signing class. There is nothing that addresses the 2017 signing class, signings that get counted back 2017, just might be allowed. I am not a lawyer, so take my analysis with a grain of salt, but there is a chance that back counting may be grandfathered in for this year.

We can sign a max of 26 this year. To sign another non-transfer addition (HS, JUCO), we'd have to have a decommit. Plain and simple.

I think Jason Dickson graduated from high school 4 years ago (2 years without going to school plus 2 years at junior college), so I'm not sure if he still counts against our 2018 class, or if he can count against and earlier class. All speculation on my part...

I think Jason Dickson graduated from high school 4 years ago (2 years without going to school plus 2 years at junior college), so I'm not sure if he still counts against our 2018 class, or if he can count against and earlier class. All speculation on my part...

From my understanding, because he didn't sign with a college out of HS, he counts against our limit. We have 25 + 1 because Vic signed with Cal before.

Kyle Goblirsch at 247 (Minnesota insider) just predicted Craig Williams to Texas so I think it's safe to say that ship has sailed.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

I love how ESPN almost always drops players ratings committed to non-blue blood schools even when they are still getting tons of interest i.e. Smith getting a bunch of ACC offers yet he dropped to low 3 star on some services.

Gotta keep our assets valuable (SEC)...dumb

I love how ESPN almost always drops players ratings committed to non-blue blood schools even when they are still getting tons of interest i.e. Smith getting a bunch of ACC offers yet he dropped to low 3 star on some services.

Gotta keep our assets valuable (SEC)...dumb

Odd choice of player since ESPN is only service that rates Terell Smith as a 4 star...

Hopefully he comes as a PWO. The Montro has serious heart. He would be awesome on special teams and possible strong safety.

Go Gophers!!

Yet, we are ahead of only 1 school ranked in the top 35 (Cal) in player rating. With our player rating, we are 9th in the B1G ahead of Indiana, Rutgers, Purdue, Northwestern, and Illinois.

Yet, we are ahead of only 1 school ranked in the top 35 (Cal) in player rating. With our player rating, we are 9th in the B1G ahead of Indiana, Rutgers, Purdue, Northwestern, and Illinois.

Must mean those 8 teams have better classes, right?

so cut out our 5 lowest rated guys and look at our rating go up

Must mean those 8 teams have better classes, right?

IMO, yes. Furthermore, this staff has not convinced me that they can/will develop talent either. I hope I am wrong; time will give the answer.

IMO, yes. Furthermore, this staff has not convinced me that they can/will develop talent either. I hope I am wrong; time will give the answer.

I'd love to hear why you think Wisconsin, Iowa, and Nebraska have better classes.

Top Bottom