Official 2018 Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Stories, Rumors, etc.

What is the word on this weekend's recruit visitors?

per Joe:

The Gophers moved into the top 10 nationally with their 2018 recruiting class in the 247Sports composite rankings Saturday, when Junior Uzebu, an offensive tackle from Alpharetta, Ga., gave them a verbal commitment.

The 6-6, 288-pound Uzebu also had reported offers from Maryland and West Virginia, among others. He is the Gophers' 10th commitment in this class and announced his decision following the spring game, leading Fleck to jump into his arms.

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-...op-10-with-junior-uzebu-commitment/419552893/

Go Gophers!!

2018 commit Terell Smith picked up a Michigan State offer.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Still seems like he's pretty firmly committed to the U at this point:

I was at the spring game and I saw Fleck talk beforehand in the DQ room. I thought it was interesting that he brought up the 247 2018 class ranking (we were 12th at the time). Did anyone else catch that? He said we currently have the 12th ranked class in 2018 and everyone cheered.

Brennan Armstrong has improved significantly from the time he committed to now :):

Brennan Armstrong has improved significantly since when he committed :):

Wait, I thought committing to Minnesota meant you automatically dropped in the rankings? :rolleyes:

Brennan Armstrong has improved significantly from the time he committed to now :):

This should mean that one year from now he will be the fans favorite to be the starting QB in 2018. Freshman backup QB's are always the favorite right? :)

per Joe:

The Gophers moved into the top 10 nationally with their 2018 recruiting class in the 247Sports composite rankings Saturday, when Junior Uzebu, an offensive tackle from Alpharetta, Ga., gave them a verbal commitment.

The 6-6, 288-pound Uzebu also had reported offers from Maryland and West Virginia, among others. He is the Gophers' 10th commitment in this class and announced his decision following the spring game, leading Fleck to jump into his arms.

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-...op-10-with-junior-uzebu-commitment/419552893/

Go Gophers!!

Down to 11th now. Fleck should be on the hotseat...

per Shama:

Gophers coach P.J. Fleck used the game as a recruiting tool for his 2018 class that already has 10 verbal commits and is so far No. 11 in the nation, according to 247Sports composite rankings.

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

WMFD: Manns Says Fleck The Difference In Choosing Gophers

Mansfield Tyger senior-to-be Jornell Manns earlier last Thursday gave a verbal commitment to play his college football at the University of Minnesota. While competing this weekend at the Mehock Relays, Manns says the decision to choose Minnesota was not difficult.

"Actually it wasn't hard. I never had a relationship, nobody recruited me as hard as Minnesota did and coach (P.J.) Fleck is a genuine guy and he showed real interest in me, so nobody compared to him."

When asked if the fact that Shelby quarterback Brennan Armstrong gave a verbal commitment back in February had any influence on his decision Manns responded, "That's my guy, we talk all the time. When I first got the offer and started to talk with coach Fleck, he (Armstrong) said I want you to go there, but don't commit before you end up going. Then after my visit, he texts me at 12 am and asked me how it went. I said I'm committing. He was the first to know."

In 2016, Manns caught 28 passes for 359 yards and four touchdowns while averaging over 27 yards per kick return in an injury-plagued junior season. "My goal for my senior year is to get over 15 touchdowns and to stay healthy."

Manns also adds that he intends to stay at Mansfield Senior for his entire senior year, but will head to Minnesota early in the summer of 2018, to get a jump start on school.

Manns also had offers from Wisconsin, Bowling Green, Kent State, Ohio University, Toledo, Penn State, and West Virginia. Manns is 5'10" 187lbs.

https://wmfd.com/sports/single.asp?story=72043

Go Gophers!!

Gotta love where we sit in April. Keep it up PJ!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We wanted a coach who can recruit. It sure looks like we got one.

Gotta love where we sit in April. Keep it up PJ!

I've heard it been said this Has to be the best start since Brewsters first year. What DID that class look like anyway?

I've heard it been said this Has to be the best start since Brewsters first year. What DID that class look like anyway?

I know Brewster had a top 25 class with MarQuis Gray and others that did not amount to much. Maybe it was that year.

7 four stars huh? Wow... Brew really WAS a completely inept coach! All recruiting and nothing else. No way 7 four stars ALL bust unless the coach sux!

Three 4-stars on the 247 composite, for whatever that's worth.....

Just looking at that class and comparing it to this year's class makes Fleck's start even more impressive.

In April, Brewster had 4 commits, 2-2*, 1-3*, and 1-4* and they were all from MN. Brewster didn't pull in his first out of state recruit until July, and the rest of his 4*s were October and later. So far 8 of 10 of Fleck's recruits are from out of state. All of them are 3*s with 6 of them being mid-high end 3*s. It will be really interesting to see the recruits that Fleck brings on campus once official visits start.

Three 4-stars on the 247 composite, for whatever that's worth.....

Thank you mr. killington (as in buzz killington, a recurring character on family guy named for the popular mock name for people that like to burst bubbles and take the joy out of children's eyes before they devour their souls) it is worth something, that's why it kinda sucks. Had you come out with some outrageous comment such as "Brewster just never got a fair shot" then we could have kept our bubbles intact by simply dissmissing you as a looney. You're a buzz kill, but a looney sir you are not. [emoji846]

I know Brewster had a top 25 class with MarQuis Gray and others that did not amount to much. Maybe it was that year.
Didn't many in Brewster's first class end up unable to attend because they couldn't attain a high enough score on the ACT's? Here's to hoping the kids committing are also capable of meeting minimal academic standards.

Didn't many in Brewster's first class end up unable to attend because they couldn't attain a high enough score on the ACT's? Here's to hoping the kids committing are also capable of meeting minimal academic standards.

I thought that a lot of his 4 stars had problems finding schools that would take them. I don't remember many of them actually contributing to the program.

7 four stars huh? Wow... Brew really WAS a completely inept coach! All recruiting and nothing else. No way 7 four stars ALL bust unless the coach sux!

Brew was a star chaser. He had no idea how to find guys that fit his system or complimented each other. That and he couldn't coach. He couldn't keep assistants as they saw this as well. But he could pump those rankings up there.

Top Bottom