Official 2018 Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Stories, Rumors, etc.

Pretty sure he's on a track scholarship.

I thought track normally doesn't give out scholarships to freshman - they have to prove themselves and then get the schollie if they earn it. At least that's what I know from track people that I've talked to.

Pretty sure he's on a track scholarship.

He can't be on a track scholarship and walk on to the football team. He would have to be a walk on in both sports, or on scholarship in football and walk on to the track team.

Just landed a WR from Wisconsin that is also going to run track. Had a UCF offer. Maybe a PWO for football? #weonlytakedualsportkids

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I don't think a scholarship track athlete can be on the football team as a PWO. I believe he would have to use up a football scholly. IIRC, the higher revenue sport "wins" that honor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought track normally doesn't give out scholarships to freshman - they have to prove themselves and then get the schollie if they earn it. At least that's what I know from track people that I've talked to.

but if Fleck walks in the office and says give the kid a scholarship you might listen.

He can't be on a track scholarship and walk on to the football team. He would have to be a walk on in both sports, or on scholarship in football and walk on to the track team.

Even if he doesn't play in games?

but if Fleck walks in the office and says give the kid a scholarship you might listen.

That is exactly the reason there are rules against it. Football coaches could fund a ton of “walk ons” by getting them onto other sports’ scholarship rosters.

Bottom line is, we didn't get a bat signal so my hype for this kid is lacking serious HOW.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Ryan Burns gave a very brief, somewhat vague (don't blame him, his job depends on people paying for his info) on the Gophers QB recruiting situation for 2018 here:
http://www.myalbertlea.com/2017/11/21/ryan-burns-on-the-blitz-w-mitch-21/

He said there were 3 names to watch:

Juco QB Vic Viramontes (official scheduled as noted in this thread)
CSU commit QB Matthew Baldwin who Ohio State is also involved with but he's supposedly 3rd on their list. Mentions Kentucky as also getting involved with Baldwin
ECU commit Holton Ahlers mentions that 247 is very high on Ahlers in their ratings

Also mentions that Minnesota might take another offensive lineman as well, which I assume was a reference to Dunlap who is visiting with all the commits in December.

Thanks EG#9!

My thoughts, some highlights of Burns' podcast:

Weather played a huge part for the Gophers not showing up in Evanston. Gale force winds 25 MPH (Gale Force Warning issued for Lake Michigan 1.5 miles from stadium), sleeting...

Coaching also to blame. IMHO a big part. Offense inexcusable in turning over the ball five times to a well-coached disciplined team. The Gopher did not game plan properly and players were frustrated. Game planned for NW passing. Did not game plan for lots power running. Did not or unable to make adjustments. Fitz and NW took advantage of the weather/field conditions and knew how to attack Gophers weaknesses by gap running, using three TE formations, and counter plays. Wheather dictated their schemes.

This is a good baptism for the coaching staff. You learn the most about the character of a team in how they handle failure and what they do about it.

It shows that PJ Fleck and staff have a lot to learn about the nuances of playing every single team in the B1G. This is a big big learning experience for them at "Year Zero". B1G have been becoming increasingly competitive. One or two wins/losses can ruin a season (Maryland, Purdue games). IMHO, coaching stability and longevity is super critical. Patience required of both coaches and fans. They also have to learn to play against the three formidable foes - Wisc, Iowa, and NW. Add NE when they can figure out their coaching. Wisconsin has a stable system where they can plug in a new coach and repeat previous successes. Iowa & NW have long tenured coach and staff.

We can't continue to replace the entire coaching staff every four or five years and expect to surpass established Wisc, NW, and Iowa programs. Nebraska hopefully has figured that out.

Glen Mason was the longest tenured coach for the Gophers in modern history. He's had some successes due to coaching stability. I am not making excuses for him, but the U's inability to pay good coordinators and assistance, and the facilities made it difficult to recruit. Not improving his defense and inability to pay and hire a high caliber DC cause Maturi to run out of patience with epic melt downs after leading. I wonder what would have happened had money was made available for staff.

The stats from the last five or six years don't lie. The Gophers MUST improve drastically, or they are forever destined for a 5th place perch in B1G West. IMHO, this won't happen in four years unless they achieve break thru through smart and aggressive recruiting. TALENT LEVEL is the difference maker to move up. The recruiting rankings correlated well in how each team finished the last five or six years.

Late decommitment by Armstrong is putting the Gophers on a scramble between now and December to figure out the QB situation.

Full press on OL from IMG Dunlop? If he does make it on the airplane and commits, we have to thank his team mate Annexstad for bringing him on the airplane.

Even if he doesn't play in games?

Yeah. You can't be a walk-on for a revenue generating sport like football and on scholarship for a sport that generates less revenue. They would be concerned that the U of MN Athletic Department would give a bunch of football players scholarships for the rowing, gymnastics, etc., teams as simply a plan to add scholarships for football.

This is even the case between revenue generating sports. If you want to play football and basketball, you must walk-on for the basketball team.

I'm not 100% sure if it is school-specific (like Duke's basketball program likely makes more money than their football program).

Yeah. You can't be a walk-on for a revenue generating sport like football and on scholarship for a sport that generates less revenue. They would be concerned that the U of MN Athletic Department would give a bunch of football players scholarships for the rowing, gymnastics, etc., teams as simply a plan to add scholarships for football.

This is even the case between revenue generating sports. If you want to play football and basketball, you must walk-on for the basketball team.

I'm not 100% sure if it is school-specific (like Duke's basketball program likely makes more money than their football program).

Georgia, back when they were recruiting Herschel Walker, gave a full ride scholarship for the woman's track team to Herschel's sister (who was one year older than Herschel), but what really made that an SEC-type deal is that Georgia at the time didn't have a woman's track program, his sister was the only member of the team.

Georgia, back when they were recruiting Herschel Walker, gave a full ride scholarship for the woman's track team to Herschel's sister (who was one year older than Herschel), but what really made that an SEC-type deal is that Georgia at the time didn't have a woman's track program, his sister was the only member of the team.

You can't give an athletic scholarship to a program that doesn't exist.

You can't give an athletic scholarship to a program that doesn't exist.

According to a 2015 ESPN story on Walker, you're both right.

"In fact, the Bulldogs wanted him so badly that Dooley decided to add a Women's Track and Field Program a year ahead of schedule - so they could offer a scholarship to Walker's sister Veronica. She became the first woman to receive a scholarship in women's track at UGA in 1979."

http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/st...-walker-ran-tennessee-bill-bates-oral-history

According to a 2015 ESPN story on Walker, you're both right.

"In fact, the Bulldogs wanted him so badly that Dooley decided to add a Women's Track and Field Program a year ahead of schedule - so they could offer a scholarship to Walker's sister Veronica. She became the first woman to receive a scholarship in women's track at UGA in 1979."

http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/st...-walker-ran-tennessee-bill-bates-oral-history

That would never fly these days. Maybe unless it was an SEC team doing it.......oh wait.......maybe it would?

Top Bottom