Official 2018 Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Stories, Rumors, etc.

I wouldn't worry about these highlights. It is only half way through the season. He will mature and our coaches will coach him up too.

I think the highlights look good and what we need as much anything. With Still in the doghouse and in the long run probably transferring out...we really don't have a vertical threat and Bateman looks to be that. He'll only get better with college coaching as you said as well as getting on a strength and conditioning program. I like that the staff recruited for specific traits in this class as it adds diversity to our offense. One thing I didn't like about the way the previous staff went about recruiting receivers was we'd just recruit a specific type. We'd be thrilled if we had a class of receivers that were 6'3 and taller instead of having real balance throughout our WR corps.

Richter, a small town Minn. kid, recounts crazy day he committed to Gophers football program

Logan Richter, a 6-foot-4, 290-pound offensive and defensive lineman from Perham, sat in the back row with his sister, mom and dad, as University of Minnesota football coach P.J. Fleck spoke at TCF Bank Stadium.

It was Junior Day at the University of Minnesota late last March, a day where high school juniors are invited to meet coaches and tour the facilities and the school. It was the first of what the Richter family felt would be a long recruiting process. Richter had just decided a couple months previous he wanted to pursue collegiate football, and his dad had just started sending out a three-minute highlight video to schools.

The day had felt a bit weird for the Richter family. It seemed as though 300 or so other high school football players from around the country knew what they were doing, while they stood toward the back during everything. Logan noticed people looking at him, eyes widening at his size, and even gave an awkward laugh and a thank you to a coach who had said, "Wow. You look like a really good football player."

"It's probably because they didn't know anything about Logan," Logan's dad, Rich, said.

We just don't get a lot of exposure. If we lived in the Cities, there's just more chances to be seen and that was our first Junior Day."

Logan had no idea he was going to leave Minneapolis with a full scholarship to play football for the Gophers.

"I did not see that coming at all," Richter said. "It was a very long day. Everything just clicked. It was really weird. Once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, and I got to thank everyone along the way for making it possible, my parents, my coaches. It's a dream come true. None of us were expecting it."

http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/sp...ounts-crazy-day-he-committed-gophers-football

Go Gophers!!

per WCCO:

WCCO: Highland Park’s Aune Holds Off On Gophers, For Now

It was a big decision; a lot to put on the plate of an eighth grader.

Where to go to school?

A talented football player with high potential, Josh Aune had to choose: stay home at St. Paul Highland Park — a good school, but not exactly a football factory — or go somewhere else more known for producing college prospects.

“Everybody has those thoughts throughout their high school career. But there was never a thought in my mind where I’d ever transfer out of Highland Park. The community here is so strong, my brother went to high school here, my little sister’s going to high school here, so I was always part of this community,” Aune said. “You’re going be found if you’re that good. If you’re a big fish in a small pond, they’re still going to find you.”

And next year, he will be the first St. Paul public school player on scholarship for the Minnesota Golden Gophers since Thomas Tapeh in 2003.

“That is an incredibly big deal to me. I have such a sense of pride in my community, and I felt so great being able to come back to school the next week after I got the scholarship and saying … ‘I did this, and it’s not just for me, I’m going to make the community proud.'”

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2017/09/22/highland-parks-josh-aune/

Go Gophers!!

Good for him for staying put. He will fit in PJF's mold.

Brennan Armstrong - Sept 22

13 carries for 152 yards, 1 TD
14 of 18 passing for 228 yards, 3 TDs

Totals through 2 games this season
29 carries for 269 yards, 5 TDs
25 of 31 passing for 406 yards, 5 TDs

Brennan Armstrong - Sept 22

13 carries for 152 yards, 1 TD
14 of 18 passing for 228 yards, 3 TDs

Totals through 2 games this season
29 carries for 269 yards, 5 TDs
25 of 31 passing for 406 yards, 5 TDs

anybody know anything about the level of competition he's facing? It makes a difference whether he's putting up those numbers against good teams or teams on the bottom of the conference.

anybody know anything about the level of competition he's facing? It makes a difference whether he's putting up those numbers against good teams or teams on the bottom of the conference.

Armstrong's first game was against Bellevue (4-2). Like Shelby, they are Division IV (male enrollment 201-270). Right on bubble for playoff for sections right now.

Armstrong's second game was against Norwalk (2-3), who is Division III (male enrollment 271-422). Middle of the pack in their section right now.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Go Gophers!!

JayJay is beyond blessed! He's ours...

Personally, I'd say, "Blessed beyond all measure" for my offers. What would you all say?

Alex Reigelsperger, a DE currently committed to Kentucky, has an OV scheduled for the end of November: https://minnesota.247sports.com/Season/2018-Football/Visits

He is ranked higher than any of our current commits.

We also appear to have a legit shot at Dallas Cradieth, a safety from Missouri who took an unofficial here in the spring: https://247sports.com/player/dallas-craddieth-69248

Cradieth would be our 2nd highest rated recruit after Teague.

Gotta say I was really hoping to see some very high 3* or even 4* composite guys be committed to us, or at least seemingly interested in us by now. Saying recruit A is visiting us and would be our highest rated recruit loses some of its luster when every team except Purdue has commits ranked higher.

Nevertheless I would welcome either of them in a second and expect PJ and co to coach them up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Go Gophers!!

Craig Williams is very fast. Wow.

He's got an awful lot of offers to be a 3*. Auburn, VT, Colorado among them. I don't know much about crootin, but this would obviously be a huge flip.

I wonder if that means Bryce Williams would play a different position? I would guess either him or Craig Williams would end up playing WR since Nolan Edmonds is definitely a RB

Williams and Reigelsperger would be our 2 highest commits. Dallas Craddieth would be behind only Teague for current commits. I like PJ's approach of filling the class early and focusing on a top few remaining 2018 recruits and already hitting 2019 hard.

USA Today: Four-star DE Alex Reigelsperger decommits from Kentucky, new favorite emerges

One of Kentucky football’s long-time verbal commitments in the 2018 recruiting class de-committed Monday night.

Alex Reigelsperger, a four-star defensive end from Dayton, Ohio, announced his decision on Twitter.

“After long, long talks with my family..I have decided to re-open my recruitment. Thank you to (Kentucky coach Mark) Stoops and ALL of BBN. #TrustInGodsPlan”

Previously, Reigelsperger committed to Kentucky in February before the Wildcats played Florida in basketball.

A surprising favorite in the recruitment has emerged. Minnesota is listed as the program with the best odds to land Reigelsperger, according to the 247Sports Crystal Ball.

Reigelsperger holds at least 20 offers, according to his 247Sports profile, and is ranked as the No. 14 defensive end in the class of 2018 by ESPN. He visited Kentucky unofficially twice after making his pledge and was said to be an active recruiter of other prospects, especially those from Ohio, for the Wildcats.

Kentucky has the No. 21 overall 2018 class in the country (seventh among Southeastern Conference schools), with 17 commitments, including four four-star prospects. The Wildcats have two defensive linemen listed as commits: DavoanHawkins, a 6-foot-4, 270-pound three-star defensive end from Hollywood, Florida, and Tyler Bentley, a 6-foot-3, 295-pound three-star defensive tackle from West Chester, Ohio.

In coach PJ Fleck’s first season, Minnesota has the No. 35 overall ranked class. Reigelsperger would be one of the Golden Gophers highest-rated recruits of the 23 currently committed.

http://usatodayhss.com/2017/four-st...-decommits-from-kentucky-new-favorite-emerges

Go Gophers!!

USA Today: Four-star DE Alex Reigelsperger decommits from Kentucky, new favorite emerges

One of Kentucky football’s long-time verbal commitments in the 2018 recruiting class de-committed Monday night.

Alex Reigelsperger, a four-star defensive end from Dayton, Ohio, announced his decision on Twitter.

“After long, long talks with my family..I have decided to re-open my recruitment. Thank you to (Kentucky coach Mark) Stoops and ALL of BBN. #TrustInGodsPlan”

Previously, Reigelsperger committed to Kentucky in February before the Wildcats played Florida in basketball.

A surprising favorite in the recruitment has emerged. Minnesota is listed as the program with the best odds to land Reigelsperger, according to the 247Sports Crystal Ball.

Reigelsperger holds at least 20 offers, according to his 247Sports profile, and is ranked as the No. 14 defensive end in the class of 2018 by ESPN. He visited Kentucky unofficially twice after making his pledge and was said to be an active recruiter of other prospects, especially those from Ohio, for the Wildcats.

Kentucky has the No. 21 overall 2018 class in the country (seventh among Southeastern Conference schools), with 17 commitments, including four four-star prospects. The Wildcats have two defensive linemen listed as commits: DavoanHawkins, a 6-foot-4, 270-pound three-star defensive end from Hollywood, Florida, and Tyler Bentley, a 6-foot-3, 295-pound three-star defensive tackle from West Chester, Ohio.

In coach PJ Fleck’s first season, Minnesota has the No. 35 overall ranked class. Reigelsperger would be one of the Golden Gophers highest-rated recruits of the 23 currently committed.

http://usatodayhss.com/2017/four-st...-decommits-from-kentucky-new-favorite-emerges

Go Gophers!!

So this article and his twitter list him as a 4 star, but 247 has him as a 3 star.

per Greder:

As questions about the Gophers’ current stable of quarterbacks continues into mid-October this season, next year’s starter could be finishing up an undefeated season and record-setting career in Ohio.

Armstrong’s senior year, however, started with a suspension for violating training rules, he confirmed to the Pioneer Press. He missed the first three games because he said he attended a party last spring, but he affirms he did not drink alcohol before he left.

“That is what I got in trouble with,” Armstrong said. “… It was a learning experience. When something like that happens, I just have to get out of there and not worry about who I’m with.

“I learned the hard way. I will take care of it, and I will definitely not make that mistake again.”

Armstrong’s suspension shouldn’t be construed as a red flag, Shelby coach Erik Will said. The following day, Armstrong apologized and worked out in the weight room.

“He took ownership over it,” Will said. “… He didn’t make excuses. He knew that making excuses wasn’t going to make the situation any better.”

Will said Armstrong hasn’t missed a practice or workout in four years, and when the team runs sprints, Armstrong is at the front of the pack. “That is the kind of kid that Minnesota is getting,” he said.

The Shelby Whippets started 3-0 without Armstrong, and they are 4-0 with him over the past month. That record continues an upward trajectory that Will and Armstrong have led since 2014.

With three remaining high school games, plus playoffs, Armstrong will add to his existing school records: 9,153 total yards and 113 total touchdowns (61 passing, 52 rushing). Armstrong has a 3.5 grade-point average and takes advanced-placement courses that will allow him to graduate this winter and will enroll at Minnesota in January.

At the U, he will become acclimated to college life, get a jump start with spring practices next March and ultimately to compete for the Gophers’ starting QB role next fall.

“That is definitely my goal,” Armstrong said. “I think I bring a lot of play-making ability, and my arm is strong, too. … If I learn the stuff and stay true to myself, and stay true to what they give me in their process and game plan, I think I will be in great shape.”

http://www.twincities.com/2017/10/1...ennan-armstrong-the-gophers-next-quarterback/

Go Gophers!!

Go Gophers!!

Go Gophers!!

Defensive End from Germany in case anyone is wondering :drink:

He's got many G5 offers and few low-level P5 (Iowa State, Syracuse, Rutgers). The "film" on his 247 page simply shows him doing a bunch of testing at a camp or something, albeit at an elite level :)

Top Bottom