Official 2018 Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Stories, Rumors, etc.

Kill and Claeys would offer plenty of highly ranked guys at this time of year as do most programs. We'll see later in the spring and summer if we can actually get visits out of them.

Offers at this point really mean nothing.

This...

So you're saying Gophs haven't offered to more highly ranked players in the past?

Of course they've offered highly rated guys in the past...that isn't my point. My point is that I hope Fleck isn't putting all his chickens in one basket. Who's to say that if Fleck offers 100 4* guys that 22 don't come here? Who's also to say that if Fleck offers 100 4* guys that 3 come here?

I'm glad we're going fishing in the big boy pond because that's your only chance at reeling in the big fish, but at the end of the day you gotta bring something home to put on the table.

Of course they've offered highly rated guys in the past...that isn't my point. My point is that I hope Fleck isn't putting all his chickens in one basket. Who's to say that if Fleck offers 100 4* guys that 22 don't come here? Who's also to say that if Fleck offers 100 4* guys that 3 come here?

I'm glad we're going fishing in the big boy pond because that's your only chance at reeling in the big fish, but at the end of the day you gotta bring something home to put on the table.

OK, just clarifying. I'm with you that he can't focus too much there, but I think he's definitely smart enough to know better. Splashy and good early fodder for the rubes (hand raised). We've always cast into the big boy pond. Lost a lot of bait, but came up with good to great talent in the smaller ones that was developed.

Wins tell me we are being successful recruiting, regardless of class rankings. Fleck consistently throwing up 9+ win seasons and I will care less about rankings or his shtick. Win PJ, win.

OK, just clarifying. I'm with you that he can't focus too much there, but I think he's definitely smart enough to know better. Splashy and good early fodder for the rubes (hand raised). We've always cast into the big boy pond. Lost a lot of bait, but came up with good to great talent in the smaller ones that was developed.

Wins tell me we are being successful recruiting, regardless of class rankings. Fleck consistently throwing up 9+ win seasons and I will care less about rankings or his shtick. Win PJ, win.

Can you imagine that happening? We wouldn't even know what to do with ourselves.

Can you imagine that happening? We wouldn't even know what to do with ourselves.

Well, one thing I plan to do when it does, is head out to Ft. Snelling, visit the old man's grave, and have a drink with him. Maybe several drinks. He went to the U all through the glory years and attended every game with me during my college years there. He is the reason the Gophs football glass is always half full for me.

It is like job hunting. PJ Fleck is selling the U brand to recruits.

Well, one thing I plan to do when it does, is head out to Ft. Snelling, visit the old man's grave, and have a drink with him. Maybe several drinks. He went to the U all through the glory years and attended every game with me during my college years there. He is the reason the Gophs football glass is always half full for me.

I'm not a drinker, but I'd be at my dad's grave too if that happened. I bet there were a lot of Cubs fans doing the same this fall.

I'm not a drinker, but I'd be at my dad's grave too if that happened. I bet there were a lot of Cubs fans doing the same this fall.

Sorry if this is off topic but your post reminded me of this.

I know the recruiting guru on BTN said that based on what Fleck did in just 30 days that a top 25 class next season was certainly not out of the question.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know the recruiting guru on BTN said that based on what Fleck did in just 30 days that a top 25 class next season was certainly not out of the question.

Keep in mind that he works for Scout which had our class much higher at #38 than the 3 other sites. So in other words, he could see our class jump about 13 or more spots.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Last night, PJ said something about going after a Top 5-10 QB in 2018. I'm guessing this is the target. We are one of 25 teams to offer him, including eight from the Big Ten. He's from NJ, which Fleck and Ciarocca obviously have deep roots. Warriner was one of the lead recruiters on him at Ohio State.

He loved his Scotch.

Yep bet there were a lot of pictures taken by those Cubs fans at those grave sites with copies of the Trib in their hands. My way too early prediction is Pasadena in 2019. If PJ walks the talk, that is certainly doable.

That's very touching. This board can be brutal at times, but we all bleed maroon and gold.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

per Greder:

The past two years, the Gophers’ coaching staff has relied on local recruits. When including Antoine Winfield Jr. and Seth Green, who each moved from Minnesota to Texas during high school, the Gophers had 10 local products in the 2016 class. That group was headlined by Eden Prairie linebacker Carter Coughlin, ranked the 273rd-best player in the nation by ESPN.

There are five in-state recruits in this year’s haul, three from the East Metro: Woodbury tight end Nathan Bursch, and running back Dominik London and kicker Grant Ryerse of East Ridge.

Next year’s Minnesota class projects thin. The only players to register Gophers interest thus far are Marshall quarterback Trey Lance and St. Cloud Tech tight end Brevyn Spann-Ford, according to scout.com.

“This will be my seventh year covering the Midwest as an analyst, and 2018 is the weakest in-state group I’ve seen from the state of Minnesota,” said Josh Helmboldt of rivals.com. “Honestly, there is a question whether there is a Minnesota-caliber player in the state. I assume that there will be one, if not a couple, but we have not identified them yet.”

Helmboldt said that shallow pool could limit the depth of Fleck’s class.

“He’s got some challenges because Minnesota has always been one to protect their backyard,” Helmboldt said. “For the most part, the guys they want, they keep in the backyard. Without those, it’s going to be very difficult to pull off a strong class in 2018.”

http://www.twincities.com/2017/02/0...recruiting-class-will-force-gophers-out-wide/

Go Gophers!!

For the most part, the guys they want, they keep in the backyard.

This may be the case now, but I don't think it was before less than a handful of years ago. Let's hope the borders are locked down permanently now. Hmmm...maybe we should build a wall!

This may be the case now, but I don't think it was before less than a handful of years ago. Let's hope the borders are locked down permanently now. Hmmm...maybe we should build a wall!

Instate recruiting has improved ever since Mason was fired. As far as keeping prospects in state I mean.

What does IA, SD, ND, and WI have?
That 6-8 hour radius takes us to Chicago I think and well past Des Moines.

I think he's just reffering to the Midwest. Ohio, Missouri, Illinois, and Michigan all have a bunch of talent.

Penn state already has 10 commits 8 of which are 4 and 5 stars.

North & South Dakota don't have any players in the 247 Top247 Recruits but here's lists for each of the surrounding states that encompass that 6-8 hour range that Fleck said he plans to recruit from, as well as some key states that Fleck mentioned as having good relationships already:

Iowa
Wisconsin
Illinois
Ohio
Missouri
Michigan
Pennsylvania
New Jersey
Texas
Alabama
Georgia
Indiana

Penn state already has 10 commits 8 of which are 4 and 5 stars.

It wouldn't be as fun of a challenge if Fleck was all of a sudden getting 4 and 5 stars to come here after 3 weeks.

We need to enjoy the process. This isn't about instant satisfaction.

Chicago, Indianapolis, St Louis and Kansas City are going to be the main metro areas he hits that are all within that radius

It wouldn't be as fun of a challenge if Fleck was all of a sudden getting 4 and 5 stars to come here after 3 weeks.

You're joking right?

I don't expect it from Fleck, but I'll gladly take the instant satisfaction.

If PJ wants to bring in a top 10 class and win a natty next year, I'm totally cool with that. I don't need the process.

That Greder article puts into words what so many are concerned about. The '18 MN class looks about as bad as it's been in quite some time.

Top Bottom