Official 2018 Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Stories, Rumors, etc.

Maybe I consider Spann-Ford and Alston part of that top group. Maybe I would be disappointed if we didn't get them. Maybe, IMO, not even offering them shows PJF isn't as committed to "closing the borders" as he says. Maybe taking any and all capable MN recruits is important to me. Maybe it is more important to me than to you. Maybe you should be OK if someone challenges something PJF does or doesn't do without taking it personal. Please let me know when any of this seems unreasonable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Who took it personal? Maybe they're waiting to see them in camp as both of them have said? Of course you know more than all three of them about the situation, so I'll defer to you on it.

Who took it personal? Maybe they're waiting to see them in camp as both of them have said? <b>Of course you know more than all three of them about the situation, </b>so I'll defer to you on it.

You did. As you always do when anyone challenges anything PJF does.

As for the bolded part - What are you even talking about? I know we haven't offered them and that I would be disappointed if we don't get them. I know PJF has said getting MN kids is a top priority and that I would be disappointed if I don't believe he is following thru on that. What else have I claimed knowing on this situation? Remember, I was just trying to take a shot at PJ.

You did. As you always do when anyone challenges anything PJF does.

As for the bolded part - What are you even talking about? I know we haven't offered them and that I would be disappointed if we don't get them. I know PJF has said getting MN kids is a top priority and that I would be disappointed if I don't believe he is following thru on that. What else have I claimed knowing on this situation? Remember, I was just trying to take a shot at PJ.

Nah, didn't take it personal just laughing at how wrong you are and trying to correct you.

"not even offering them shows PJF isn't as committed to "closing the borders" as he says"

You act like there isn't 8 months left until signing day and Minnesota kids getting offered at camps is not normal. Hater

Minnesota kids that received offers during 2015/2016 camp seasons:

Kamal Martin
Drew Hmielewski
Dominik London
Nathan Bursch

Nah, didn't take it personal just laughing at how wrong you are and trying to correct you.

"not even offering them shows PJF isn't as committed to "closing the borders" as he says"

You act like there isn't 8 months left until signing day and Minnesota kids getting offered at camps is not normal. Hater

I'm sure it was an accident, but you seem to have edited out the "maybe" and the "IMO" part of that post and the context on the post directly before it when I said the above is what I am worried about. Must have been an accident - you would never want to misrepresent what someone else is saying. Especially someone who claims to know more than the coaches and players involved.
Feel free to not find offering MN kids as important as I do. I get that view. Doesn't bother me in the least.

Limited scholarships means limit possibilities - regardless of location. Don't fill a need, won't get recruited unless you are all-world, then you are probably locked up.

Minnesota kids that received offers during 2015/2016 camp seasons:

Kamal Martin
Drew Hmielewski
Dominik London
Nathan Bursch

Of those, how many had other P5 offers prior to the Gopher offer at camp? Both Alston and Spann-Ford have them.
It doesn't make sense to me that they don't offer two in state kids who have P5 offers and are "waiting" to see them at camp, and yet they've offered Logan Richter who doesn't have any other offers P5 or FCS.

He drew the line too high this year, IMO. Feel free to disagree.

Is 2018 recruiting over?

Most of the remaining kids left don't have much for offers at this point, meaning a Minnesota offer after coaches see them at camp would still be far and away their best offer.

It doesn't make sense to me that they don't offer two in state kids who have P5 offers and are "waiting" to see them at camp, and yet they've offered Logan Richter who doesn't have any other offers P5 or FCS.

They saw Richter at camp before offering, I believe.

They saw Richter at camp before offering, I believe.

They offered on March 25 at Junior Day. He had no offers, but some interest from a couple FCS schools. He was unrated at the time of the offer, so I don't think he had been at any camp. I believe it is a good pick up, it just doesn't make any sense that they are waiting to see the other two from MN at their camp, who have other P5 offers, but they offered this kid, prior to that.

Of those, how many had other P5 offers prior to the Gopher offer at camp? Both Alston and Spann-Ford have them.
They're both tweeners without a true positions so they want to see them at camp to see how they do. Alston weighs 200 pounds but plays Defensive End and Spann-Ford is not fast enough to play receiver at a college level so they want to see him do tight end drills. Camp is less than two weeks away calm down buddy.

Is 2018 recruiting over?

Most of the remaining kids left don't have much for offers at this point, meaning a Minnesota offer after coaches see them at camp would still be far and away their best offer.

I was speaking of Spann-Ford and Alston specifically. They have other (nice) offers.

Of course 2018 isn't over. As I said in my original post, I hope we are just late to the party and they still come here. I have read on here repeatedly that early offers are important. Why aren't they here?

Maybe this situation shows nothing of PJF's commitment to local kids, but maybe it does. Is it really so absurd to wonder? Only time will tell. The only certainty in this thread is if you question PJF it won't be a surprise what two posters will come out swinging.

They're both tweeners without a true positions so they want to see them at camp to see how they do. Alston weighs 200 pounds but plays Defensive End and Spann-Ford is not fast enough to play receiver at a college level so they want to see him do tight end drills. Camp is less than two weeks away calm down buddy.

I am very calm. You don't find it odd that they offered an unrated kid with no offers what so ever, but they are waiting to see these two at camp to make an offer when both have multiple offers from P5 and FCS Schools?
Alston weighs 200 now, so what, in a month he isn't going to bulk up to college level DE, so waiting to see him still doesn't make sense.

I am very calm. You don't find it odd that they offered an unrated kid with no offers what so ever, but they are waiting to see these two at camp to make an offer when both have multiple offers from P5 and FCS Schools?
Alston weighs 200 now, so what, in a month he isn't going to bulk up to college level DE, so waiting to see him still doesn't make sense.

Are you calling him a weight room project?

Logan Richter is a huge guy at a huge position of need. There just aren't that many 16 year olds who are 6'4 and 290 and fewer still that have the athleticism to play DT. Given the dearth of defensive tackles on the roster after the '17 season, it makes a lot of sense to pull the trigger on offers at the position quicker than at other spots. I'd defer to the staff on why they haven't offered Alston or Spann-Ford, but would assume it's because they are unsure about their respective talent levels and/or fit for Minnesota. The quickest way to bad press would be offering a local kid and then rescinding that offer because they were not a fit or "suggesting" that kid transfer after a year or two when he's not making his way up the depth chart.

If you evaluate someone and decide you want to see them in camp before offering you don't change your mind because X schools decide to offer them.

Alston is 6'4 200 pounds so if he can't bulk up he'll play linebacker in college or maybe their rush end position.

If you evaluate someone and decide you want to see them in camp before offering you don't change your mind because X schools decide to offer them.

Alston is 6'4 200 pounds so if he can't bulk up he'll play linebacker in college or maybe their rush end position.

way to not answer the question.
Again. You find it perfectly normal to offer a kid with NO offers to speak of, yet 2 players with multiple offers are being told to wait, because they need to see them in camp?

Alston will be a weight room project :)

Again. You find it perfectly normal to offer a kid with NO offers to speak of, yet 2 players with multiple offers are being told to wait, because they need to see them in camp?

I just answered your question.

If you evaluate someone and decide you want to see them play a position they haven't played before offering, then yes it's normal. See Kamal Martin.

It's possible Spann-Ford is just not a good fit for Fleck's offense. He just doesn't use the TE as a receiver very often. Over the last three years the most catches a TE had was 10 at Western Michigan. He uses the TE as an H-back mostly to run block. Not sure Spann-Ford is a good fit for that and he might not want to be used primarily as a blocker.

I just answered your question.

If you evaluate someone and decide you want to see them play a position they haven't played before offering, then yes it's normal. See Kamal Martin.

Then why offer Richter without evaluating him at camp first? It's not like coaches were climbing over each other to offer him.

Then why offer Richter without evaluating him at camp first? It's not like coaches were climbing over each other to offer him.

Because he's 6'4 290 pounds and is typical defensive tackle size? I also read they didn't want him going to any other camps where he might receive an offer.

Who cares if they have a couple of offers? I can't believe the angst a couple people have over spann-ford and Alston not being offered - you're sounding unhinged.

Who cares if they have a couple of offers? I can't believe the angst a couple people have over spann-ford and Alston not being offered - you're sounding unhinged.

No Angst here. Just curious, as it doesn't make sense with other things that have been done up to this point.

It could also be that they've talked with both of these players and the players don't feel they're a right fit for the program. I keep hearing how Fleck's not for some people around here, but apparently he has to offer any kid from MN even if they feel he's not the right coach for some of them.

It could also be that they've talked with both of these players and the players don't feel they're a right fit for the program. I keep hearing how Fleck's not for some people around here, but apparently he has to offer any kid from MN even if they feel he's not the right coach for some of them.

I think your on to something... I'd say if they are top players in the state and WANT to come to the U then Fleck should offer them if they are talented enough. However, if it's Fleck closing those doors because he doesn't think they'd be down with his type of program then I think that's the price we pay for this type of coach and I'm sure he'll get kids nationally to make up for it.

I think your on to something... I'd say if they are top players in the state and WANT to come to the U then Fleck should offer them if they are talented enough. However, if it's Fleck closing those doors because he doesn't think they'd be down with his type of program then I think that's the price we pay for this type of coach and I'm sure he'll get kids nationally to make up for it.

It's not the situation so this point is mute.

Since Fleck just got hired it might make sense that he simply doesn't know the Minnesota players as well as he will in the future...his coaches haven't attended games to watch a junior and noticed a freshman on whom they keep tabs? I would imagine as they get to know these players, in the future they will be extending offerers earlier to some of the under the radar in-state guys. My guess is that at camp he will be seeing some of these guys perform for the first time, as he was hired after last year's football season.

Claeys and Kill often didn't even have a commitment until about June. We already have 2 Minnesota guys committed. To me it seems quite obvious that recruiting is an area of strength for Fleck. Many more of his commits have multiple P5 offers than Kill/Claeys. His job is to make sure no one gets the in-state players he wants, not to provide scholarships to every good player in the state whether they are needed by the Gophers or not. IMO, I think he has done an awesome job...well except for the offensive line which concerns me....

You need to step back and realize that you are making assumptions on only the information that you think you know.
And to Spoofing: this is a team that plays for Minnesota, not necessarily a team of Minnesotans. Everyone says they want to compete at the highest level and now some are complaining that we don't take enough Minnesota kids.
Obviously, the coaches value every scholarship and they may feel they need more information, maybe try a players at other positions, before they offer. Alabama and Ohio State are not made up of only players from their state. Both of those schools pass on very good home grown players because they feel they got a better prospect from out of state.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Top Bottom